PDA

View Full Version : People who have used/listened tooo the boston z6's

Eugenics
07-20-2007, 08:49 PM
how are they? your experiences with them?

thanks.

azbass
07-20-2007, 08:52 PM
they can get loud. but the car they were in was not really set for sq

thefunkybunch
07-21-2007, 12:10 AM
awesome. nothing but positives about them... the only semi-negative thing i can say is that the crossovers are fuggin huge, and finding a spot to hide them can be a chore in certain cars.

Eugenics
07-21-2007, 12:19 AM
awesome. nothing but positives about them... the only semi-negative thing i can say is that the crossovers are fuggin huge, and finding a spot to hide them can be a chore in certain cars.

this'll be in a tahoe probably so i doubt it will be a huge obstical. How much power were they getting? How loud were they?

thefunkybunch
07-21-2007, 12:29 AM
i was biamping mine with a GT22 on the mids and a GT20 on the tweets. they got very loud, but linearity was incredible. they sounded every bit as good at high volumes as they did at lower volumes. i could turn my subs off and it still sounded like there was a 10" sub hidden up in the front of the car somewhere... enough to make my rear view mirror shake. and i did zero sound deadening, though i didn't really feel like i needed it. it was in an 02 jetta, and the doors are completely sealed in those from the factory. in a tahoe, definitely deaden the holy **** out of those doors though. the midrange was very warm and lifelike, and the tweets were very smooth and detailed. i regret selling them, but i needed the cash for the new baby. i am an extremely nitpicky listener, and i really couldn't think of anything bad to say about the Z's.

but finding a spot to hide the crossovers in a murcielago is no easy task. same thing in an mr2. the jetta was easy, the 540 bmw was easy. but some cars aren't ;)

Eugenics
07-21-2007, 12:46 AM
i was biamping mine with a GT22 on the mids and a GT20 on the tweets. they got very loud, but linearity was incredible. they sounded every bit as good at high volumes as they did at lower volumes. i could turn my subs off and it still sounded like there was a 10" sub hidden up in the front of the car somewhere... enough to make my rear view mirror shake. and i did zero sound deadening, though i didn't really feel like i needed it. it was in an 02 jetta, and the doors are completely sealed in those from the factory. in a tahoe, definitely deaden the holy **** out of those doors though. the midrange was very warm and lifelike, and the tweets were very smooth and detailed. i regret selling them, but i needed the cash for the new baby. i am an extremely nitpicky listener, and i really couldn't think of anything bad to say about the Z's.

but finding a spot to hide the crossovers in a murcielago is no easy task. same thing in an mr2. the jetta was easy, the 540 bmw was easy. but some cars aren't ;)

I've got a box of dynamat xtreem left over from my other car. i'll probably order a roll of raamat too.

And i wouldn't know where to begin on a lambo... i'd be too scared of breaking clips or something. But i bet that was fun.

Eugenics
07-21-2007, 12:48 AM
should i bi amp them? I plan to send them about 400 watts. what are the pros/cons? just tunability?

Eugenics
07-21-2007, 12:54 AM
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/Manuals/Z6Man.pdf

I think i'm pretty much sold on them now.

Now i just need to find a place to buy them.

Tonyguy
07-21-2007, 12:58 AM
good luck with that.

thefunkybunch
07-21-2007, 01:03 AM
the main reason i was biamping them is because i was using factory locations, and with the 9855 in 3way mode, it gave me independant time alignment for the mids low int he doors, and the tweets in the sail panels to help get the soundstage where i wanted it to be. that and i already had the amps, i was originally running a 5.1 system, and using the GT20 on a boston pro 4.5 set as a center channel. i scrapped the 5.1 setup, ditched the rear speakers, and biamped the Z's. i don't know exactly how much power i was feeding the Z's, but it was enough to make them happy :)
my amps (http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/4596a8dem729c6e7c/dd79/__sr_/145dre2.jpg?phQLZoGBOE1uEiZT)

nice murci (http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/4596a8dem729c6e7c/e5fb/__sr_/602b.jpg?phQLZoGB_HAaJ1JS)

some toys (http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/4596a8dem729c6e7c/e5fb/__sr_/606a.jpg?phQLZoGB0e0moouI)

bootzilla
07-21-2007, 01:07 AM
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1082

You can get them there, but I have no clue if that is a good price or not.

For that kind of money, hopefully they sound stellar!

thefunkybunch
07-21-2007, 01:08 AM
buy them from an authorized dealer, unless you don't care if you get a warranty or not... boston will NOT warranty anything bought online, unless it is from crutchfield. they're a brick and morter only company.

DARKHART
07-21-2007, 01:10 AM
I love the set I'm currently running in my BMW 540, as said before they can get loud and still sound sweet doing it. I have no complaints what so ever as far as the sound quality. The x-over's are huge as stated, but seeing as how mine are mounted in the trunk it's really not a problem me. I've also got the Pro6.5's in the car as well and they are another sweet sounding pair as well....:D :D :D

IgnoreMe
07-21-2007, 01:13 AM
i only have experience with the pro60, but they sound asesome and get loud no doubt. and only things i ever hear are how the z's are even better than the pros

thefunkybunch
07-21-2007, 01:15 AM
speakers (http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/4596a8dem729c6e7c/e5fb/__sr_/d859.jpg?phQLZoGBUIWTe8ot)

Eugenics
07-21-2007, 01:17 AM
good luck with that.

gracias sir

the main reason i was biamping them is because i was using factory locations, and with the 9855 in 3way mode, it gave me independant time alignment for the mids low int he doors, and the tweets in the sail panels to help get the soundstage where i wanted it to be. that and i already had the amps, i was originally running a 5.1 system, and using the GT20 on a boston pro 4.5 set as a center channel. i scrapped the 5.1 setup, ditched the rear speakers, and biamped the Z's. i don't know exactly how much power i was feeding the Z's, but it was enough to make them happy :)
my amps (http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/4596a8dem729c6e7c/dd79/__sr_/145dre2.jpg?phQLZoGBOE1uEiZT)

nice murci (http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/4596a8dem729c6e7c/e5fb/__sr_/602b.jpg?phQLZoGB_HAaJ1JS)

some toys (http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/4596a8dem729c6e7c/e5fb/__sr_/606a.jpg?phQLZoGB0e0moouI)

fap fap fap, i'm not a fan of awd cars but i'm sure i wouldn't mind driving one of those around.

I'll probably coaxial mount the tweets to keep things simple and so that i wont have to see any stereo components.

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1082

You can get them there, but I have no clue if that is a good price or not.

For that kind of money, hopefully they sound stellar!

Thats not a horrible price i dont think. But if i can get a dealer to match that +/- 100 dollars i think it'll be worth it. For the warranty if nothing else. but...

buy them from an authorized dealer, unless you don't care if you get a warranty or not... boston will NOT warranty anything bought online, unless it is from crutchfield. they're a brick and morter only company.

I'd like a warranty, but if i can get them for 500 or so, why not? Indoaudio has a set for around 485... but they're scammers. I was thinking about having the speakers sent to my step fathers law office. I doubt they would **** over a lawyer for the fear of litigation and going against someone who wont really be effected by court costs. Although i'd much rather get them at a dealer, or somewhere else. But i really dont want to end up spending 1000 dollars on speakers. Wifey would straight up murder me.

Tonyguy
07-21-2007, 01:18 AM
speakers (http://f7.yahoofs.com/users/4596a8dem729c6e7c/e5fb/__sr_/d859.jpg?phQLZoGBUIWTe8ot)

:wow: niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc ccceeeeeeeeeee!

bootzilla
07-21-2007, 01:21 AM

Not a bad idea - it would **** to drop that kind of cash and have them be defective and not supported by the manufacturer. Looks like Crutchfield does not sell them - so sad...

benjames
07-21-2007, 02:05 AM
I liked my Z6's so much I bought another pair!!!

http://www.lavendergreenooaks.com/Temporary/DOORSOPEN1.jpg

I put the crossovers under the seats so that they could breathe a bit in hotter climates, but most of the time they don't even heat up...

http://www.lavendergreenooaks.com/Temporary/Boston%20crossovers%20under%20seat.jpg

I love the midbass they punch out!!! I get a coughing fit when I play certain tracks with fast bouble bass hits, especially drum&bass music.

Using the 2001 IASCA disk, you get to really appreciate the Z's for their clarity and control, even at higher levels of music reproduction.

I'm running by Z6's using 2 PPI A1000/2 amps, each rated at around 280WRMS per channel....so that's giving each of the Z's mids around 280 watts of clean power for around 1100 WRMS all up. This gives a fair amount of headroom, and helps the frontstage keep up with the subs..

http://www.lavendergreenooaks.com/Temporary/dayboot1.jpg

The correct RMS rating for these speakers is 140WRMS, but they are capable of handling up to 400WRMS if high passed at around 150Hz with a 12dB filter. The mids are battle hardy, its the crossover components that start to struggle :crap: ...

You have a switch which either gives full range SQ1, or puts a 100Hz phase correllated 12dB high pass (SQ2) in for the mids, making it ideal for a SQL install.

I'm very sure these speakers are capable of giving you permanent hearing damage with complete control and clarity, so be careful with the volume if you get them....they can be deceptively loud :)

Eugenics
07-21-2007, 02:25 AM
I liked my Z6's so much I bought another pair!!!

I put the crossovers under the seats so that they could breathe a bit in hotter climates, but most of the time they don't even heat up...

I love the midbass they punch out!!! I get a coughing fit when I play certain tracks with fast bouble bass hits, especially drum&bass music.

Using the 2001 IASCA disk, you get to really appreciate the Z's for their clarity and control, even at higher levels of music reproduction.

I'm running by Z6's using 2 PPI A1000/2 amps, each rated at around 280WRMS per channel....so that's giving each of the Z's mids around 280 watts of clean power for around 1100 WRMS all up. This gives a fair amount of headroom, and helps the frontstage keep up with the subs..

http://www.lavendergreenooaks.com/Temporary/dayboot1.jpg

The correct RMS rating for these speakers is 140WRMS, but they are capable of handling up to 400WRMS if high passed at around 150Hz with a 12dB filter. The mids are battle hardy, its the crossover components that start to struggle :crap: ...

You have a switch which either gives full range SQ1, or puts a 100Hz phase correllated 12dB high pass (SQ2) in for the mids, making it ideal for a SQL install.

I'm very sure these speakers are capable of giving you permanent hearing damage with complete control and clarity, so be careful with the volume if you get them....they can be deceptively loud :)

Thats insane. Great install! Do you think they'll be able to take 400 watts?

Flipx99
07-21-2007, 02:30 AM
Ben,

I assume you glassed that pod and put in a ring to mount.

Did you ever worry about the pod breaking from the door panel?

If you have any progress pics, I would love to see them.

Eugenics
07-21-2007, 02:34 AM
Ben,

I assume you glassed that pod and put in a ring to mount.

Did you ever worry about the pod breaking from the door panel?

If you have any progress pics, I would love to see them.

Not a problem at all. Theres enough room in this thread for more than one line of questions/answers ;)

Flipx99
07-21-2007, 02:39 AM
Thanks

benjames
07-21-2007, 04:21 AM
Thats insane. Great install! Do you think they'll be able to take 400 watts?

The main reason I decided on 2 sets of splits was to get that real midbass kick that ppl strive for, without forcing the mids into overexcursion. One set of Z6's with 400WRMS per mid on tap will probably force the driver into overexcursion quite easily unless its controlled through a High pass filter, and you will give up a lot of the lower midbass freqs in order to use the 400 watts to its full potential in the upper mid and treble freqs, and I VERY much doubt that anyone could cope with that amplitude of music for more than 1 or 2 seconds without hearing protection.

To elaborate:

Can the Z6's take 400WRMS? Yes and no.... If the splits were high passed at around 150Hz with a steep filter (say 12-18dB) then they would be o.k., and you would definately want to mount them in a VERY solid baffle...

But, 400 watts is an awful lot of power to go through a set of splits. I got a rude shock when I started to put some serious power though mine, and discovered how painful it was to listen to a set of splits playing music at half that amplitude. I ended up EQing at least 12dB out of the freqs from around 600hz and above, and this gave a massive midbass kick, without the harsh volume of the treble, which feels like it's twisting your head at higher volumes (without attenuation).

To avoid exaggeration, I'd say about 250 watts of techno music through a set of these with a 12dB high pass at 100Hz would give a volume equivalent to you putting your ear about a meter away from the speakers that play your local night club, or roughly the same amount of volume someone screaming as hard as they could about 30cms away from your ear. It's quite painful to listen to for an extended period of time, and I would have no doubt that you would be causing hearing damage at that point.

How did I mount my splits?

I guess I'll have to make a thread up about it, but alas.. I didn't have the forethought to take photos on the way. I'll try and scrounge up any that I have..

Eugenics
07-21-2007, 10:39 AM
The main reason I decided on 2 sets of splits was to get that real midbass kick that ppl strive for, without forcing the mids into overexcursion. One set of Z6's with 400WRMS per mid on tap will probably force the driver into overexcursion quite easily unless its controlled through a High pass filter, and you will give up a lot of the lower midbass freqs in order to use the 400 watts to its full potential in the upper mid and treble freqs, and I VERY much doubt that anyone could cope with that amplitude of music for more than 1 or 2 seconds without hearing protection.

To elaborate:

Can the Z6's take 400WRMS? Yes and no.... If the splits were high passed at around 150Hz with a steep filter (say 12-18dB) then they would be o.k., and you would definately want to mount them in a VERY solid baffle...

But, 400 watts is an awful lot of power to go through a set of splits. I got a rude shock when I started to put some serious power though mine, and discovered how painful it was to listen to a set of splits playing music at half that amplitude. I ended up EQing at least 12dB out of the freqs from around 600hz and above, and this gave a massive midbass kick, without the harsh volume of the treble, which feels like it's twisting your head at higher volumes (without attenuation).

To avoid exaggeration, I'd say about 250 watts of techno music through a set of these with a 12dB high pass at 100Hz would give a volume equivalent to you putting your ear about a meter away from the speakers that play your local night club, or roughly the same amount of volume someone screaming as hard as they could about 30cms away from your ear. It's quite painful to listen to for an extended period of time, and I would have no doubt that you would be causing hearing damage at that point.

How did I mount my splits?

I guess I'll have to make a thread up about it, but alas.. I didn't have the forethought to take photos on the way. I'll try and scrounge up any that I have..

Very informative post. Thank you very much :) I hope you stick around and continue to make them.

azbass
07-21-2007, 11:07 AM
get some dynaudio's

ngsm13
07-21-2007, 12:48 PM

Eh, they're actually surprisingly NOT too hard to install on. We did a 3-way set with the Alpine Flagship TypeX speakers, and bi-amped using a PDX4.150

Thats not a horrible price i dont think. But if i can get a dealer to match that +/- 100 dollars i think it'll be worth it. For the warranty if nothing else. but...

I'd like a warranty, but if i can get them for 500 or so, why not? Indoaudio has a set for around 485... but they're scammers. I was thinking about having the speakers sent to my step fathers law office. I doubt they would **** over a lawyer for the fear of litigation and going against someone who wont really be effected by court costs. Although i'd much rather get them at a dealer, or somewhere else. But i really dont want to end up spending 1000 dollars on speakers. Wifey would straight up murder me.

We have 3 sets downstairs in inventory, want me to check and see what I can get one for?

nG

Eugenics
07-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Eh, they're actually surprisingly NOT too hard to install on. We did a 3-way set with the Alpine Flagship TypeX speakers, and bi-amped using a PDX4.150

We have 3 sets downstairs in inventory, want me to check and see what I can get one for?

nG

That would be great, although i wont be buying for a few months if things do actually get lined up so that i can go through with this. Thanks.

the727kid
07-21-2007, 02:36 PM
Did some with a 850.4 bridged, gain completely all the way down and they got pretty **** load, still haven't tuned anything yet though.

Eugenics
07-21-2007, 02:41 PM
Did some with a 850.4 bridged, gain completely all the way down and they got pretty **** load, still haven't tuned anything yet though.

How did they sound?

I'm hoping a set will get the tahoe into the 12's. Might need a flowmaster too though.

the727kid
07-22-2007, 02:54 PM
I didn't get to listen to them for long but what I did heard it gave a decent staging, with the tweeters mounted with mid in stock location. The tweets were a lot smoother than I thought they would be too. It's my buddies car so next time I'm over there I will be able to ehar them some more.

9512ds
07-22-2007, 03:00 PM
How did they sound?

I'm hoping a set will get the tahoe into the 12's. Might need a flowmaster too though.

Dude... Short Ram Intake will help with horsepowers and torques as well as gas mileage :graduate:

Eugenics
07-22-2007, 11:03 PM
get some dynaudio's

oh?

i would ask you on aim, but you dont accept IM's from me.

azbass
07-22-2007, 11:05 PM
i just saw it

Eugenics
07-22-2007, 11:32 PM
Lies

azbass
07-22-2007, 11:34 PM
you know you want teh dynaudio