PDA

View Full Version : Quick Questions 7100 n Active

BoondockSaints
07-20-2007, 07:04 PM
Ok my understand is that the 7100 can indeed go active? But Im still not sure what the difference between active and passive is here... will it be louder or something? And what else do I need to do to go active? Get a bigger amp for my comps? 150 watts to my mids and my tweets? Or what? What kind of sound difference is there between it. I tried reading the passive vs active thread but it really didnt make that much sense to me... Im being extremely slow today... Any help is greatly appreciated.

ToyTundra
07-20-2007, 08:42 PM
the CD7100 can run a two way active (midrange and tweeter) plus a subwoofer.

simply put active means every speaker (be it a midrange or a tweeter) has its own channel of amplification. To me the potential gain is tweaking my soundstage without having to physically re-build my kicks. It also allows flexibility when swapping drivers by not having to physically build passive crossovers with a different crossover point or slope. I thought the FAQ was pretty good actually...

BoondockSaints
07-20-2007, 11:41 PM
It probablly was its just sometimes its all to much for me to decipher, because I dunno Im special? And I just need it put simply. lol... but thanks that helps. Essentially its an adjustible crossover thats done electronically yah? Also if the RMS for the comps is 100 and I was gonna feed it 150 should I then feed the mids 150 and then the tweets their own 150?

phyphoestilic
07-20-2007, 11:44 PM
If I were u I'd do a lot more research about the subject, there's alot of information regarding it.

BoondockSaints
07-20-2007, 11:56 PM
I will tomorrow just wanted to see if I could get some responses before I passed out here... Ill go back and read it again just gotta go through all of it... But yah do I need the bigger amp to run it active? Just wanna know so I know whether or not to buy one.

EDIT: Ok just read it again makes more sense now.. ok so I need a 4 channel amp, one channel to a speaker. But does each speaker get 150 watts at 4 ohms? Also if I do buy the CD71000 which I am on the verge of doing, the setup would go ... CD7100 -> Amp -> Speakers right? Since the crossover is built in?

genxx
07-21-2007, 02:19 AM
Ok I will try to answer you last question easily. If you have a 2 channel amp that is 200 watts total that is 100 watts per channel. Your left speaker will see 100 watts and your right speaker will see 100watts.

If you have a 4 channel 75w x 4. I will break this one down now. On a HU that has 6 pre-out channels you are using four for the front stage leaving 2 pre-out channels for your sub amp.

75w front left mid
75w front right mid
75w front left tweeter
75w front right tweeter

Yes it is headunit to amp. You are using the built x-over funtions with the HU to x-over each pair of channels. Unless your HU is capable of a x-over point per channel. A channel is one pre-out two pre-out channels make a pair.

Hopefully I did not confused you even more. Before you go off doing active you need to do alot of research and understand what you are getting into. It not as easy as just throwing some speakers in buying some amps and guessing x-over points and slopes. You need to understand x-overs and slopes. Also need to understand how to use the GEQ and PEQ function and what the difference is as well as adjusting the Q. Then you need to learn how to use T/A. Ok thats enough for you to think about. Do alot of reading and gather knowledge.