PDA

View Full Version : 880PRS, weak pre-outs?

billybrown66
07-20-2007, 08:04 PM
I posted earlier about getting all of my stereo equipment getting stolen and am in the process of trying to replace what was taken. I've been looking at the x990 and the P880PRS, but I keep reading that people really need to crank the volume up on the 880 because the line driver is really weak. What kind of effect will this have on my amp, will I have to turn up my gains?

It doesn't seem like a big deal, just wanted to get 880 users opinions.

bchandler
07-21-2007, 12:11 AM
They are 5 volts. But even if they weren't, that's what the amp's gain knob is for.

billybrown66
07-21-2007, 03:18 AM
They are 5 volts. But even if they weren't, that's what the amp's gain knob is for.

Yeah, I've read that they're 5 volt, but still heard people were having to turn their gains and volume way up to get their systems loud. Just curious if anyone out there has actually tested their voltage.

genxx
07-21-2007, 03:28 AM
If you are that worried about pre-out voltage add a line driver and be done with it. People have done test. The general rule is that to get any max pre-out voltage advertised by a manufacture is this. They list what the HU will do with the volume maxed and in some cases all the setting maxed out. This is not always the case but the Eclipse 8volts have been tested and most agree that they are only getting about 5 volts from these 8 volt decks from all the test I have read. Is it possible to get 8volts with everything maxed out. I would say yes but have not hard facts to prove that its just a theory.

So are you really getting 5volts no. Atleast not constant it increases with the level of the volume or settings. So like I said if its a huge concern buy a line driver.

billybrown66
07-21-2007, 03:54 AM
If you are that worried about pre-out voltage add a line driver and be done with it. People have done test. The general rule is that to get any max pre-out voltage advertised by a manufacture is this. They list what the HU will do with the volume maxed and in some cases all the setting maxed out. This is not always the case but the Eclipse 8volts have been tested and most agree that they are only getting about 5 volts from these 8 volt decks from all the test I have read. Is it possible to get 8volts with everything maxed out. I would say yes but have not hard facts to prove that its just a theory.

So are you really getting 5volts no. Atleast not constant it increases with the level of the volume or settings. So like I said if its a huge concern buy a line driver.

Good information. I said in my first post it wasn't that big of a deal, but I'm in the market for a new deck, just wanted to know if it was true.

adam71
07-21-2007, 11:07 AM
I posted earlier about getting all of my stereo equipment getting stolen and am in the process of trying to replace what was taken. I've been looking at the x990 and the P880PRS, but I keep reading that people really need to crank the volume up on the 880 because the line driver is really weak. What kind of effect will this have on my amp, will I have to turn up my gains?

It doesn't seem like a big deal, just wanted to get 880 users opinions.

Thats actually the 1st I've ever heard about the 880 or ANY Pioneer deck having weak pre outs.

60ndown
07-21-2007, 11:15 AM
no probs with my 880 pre's great hu.

billybrown66
07-21-2007, 01:51 PM
Thats actually the 1st I've ever heard about the 880 or ANY Pioneer deck having weak pre outs.

Here's where I read about it:

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=134604

I read about it in another topic, can't track it down. Seems like a pretty common comment about the 880prs.

adam71
07-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Here's where I read about it:

http://forum.elitecaraudio.com/showthread.php?threadid=134604

I read about it in another topic, can't track it down. Seems like a pretty common comment about the 880prs.

Is the line driver on this sucker weak or what? It does seem weak to me in comparison to the Pioneer 860MP I had in before. If you look at the specs though, the 860MP says it has 6.5v, whereas the 880PRS has 5v. When sticking the 880PRS in after the 860MP with my same setup, it was a big difference in the volume I had to go up on with the 880. I don't know if the volume controls are setup the same, but to get it loud on the 860 I had it on 25, but on the 880 it was at 46. I hope to talk to Mr Marv or Dingaling soon to see if the preouts can be tested on the 880 and see if they are making spec.

I don't really think this is a fair comparison at all. I own an 860 and know for a fact that the volume only goes up to 40. If he had to go up to 46 on his 880 to reach the same SPL as 25 on his 860 then it could be just the fact that the 880 has a much wider volume setup. I don't know what the max volume is on the 880. But numbers on a volume knob don't mean anything. It's the percentage of full volume that matters. e.g. a unit turned up to 30 out of 40 is about the same as a unit at 60 out of 80.