PDA

View Full Version : need help plz

CRAZYCORNUTS18
07-19-2007, 12:59 PM
ok im putting a new crankshaft pulley on my car and i cant get it to stop rotating i thought if i put it into gear that it would stop but he keeps turning so...any ideas?

CRAZYCORNUTS18
07-19-2007, 01:28 PM
anyone??

Stel
07-19-2007, 03:13 PM
What make and model? Some cars, like Honda, have a special tool to hold the pulley. If you have a strong enough impact gun you can break it loose without needing to hold it. It took 450+ ft-lbs to break my Accord's loose. They're notoriously tough though.

Silver
07-21-2007, 10:15 PM
Find a way to wedge it.

Then, rent a puller. Pull, complete.

Ferendon
07-22-2007, 03:27 AM
Check a pickle fork or breaker bar against the teeth of the flywheel. Might have to pull the starter to do so. Quickest method of removal on a clockwise-rotating engine is a starter bump. Quickest, but not always best for first timers. Get a breaker bar or lifetime-warrantied ratchet, but a SHORT socket on it, and put it on the bolt. Rest the handle on the ground pointed towards the right, disconnect the coil wire, and BUMP the starter. 1 very quick turn of the key should do it. Also, aftermarket crank pulleys are about the worst thing you could possibly do to your car.