PDA

View Full Version : Guess I might need new speakers now...

dan9124
07-19-2007, 01:28 AM
Just put a sub in, but now my mids are too quiet! Can I get a good bump in quality with just going from factory to aftermarket speakers? Don't really wanna buy another amp.

I was looking at these alpines, as they are pretty inexpensive and they seem to have good reviews from people who have tried em. Any thoughts?

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16415

I would be getting a set of 6.5's and a set of 6x9's for my Impala.

Oh and I have a Pioneer DEH-4800MP HU that would be powering them. Owner's manual says 22 watts "minimum" of continuous power to each channel. I'm guessing that's just rms...

genxx
07-19-2007, 03:30 AM
You will hear a difference. They are decent speakers a good upgrade from factory in the budget range. Not sure you are going to get what you looking for though by powering them off the HU.IMO I would reccomend looking into a budget 4 channel amp. Profile amps come to mind in the decent budget area.

You can run them of the HU but you are not going to be happy with the way they sound without purchasing an amp. Especially trying to run a pair of 6x9's of a HU.IMO You cannot go by the rating on a HU rms. I would be suprised if you are actually seeing 1/2 the RMS in true power.

Stel
07-19-2007, 09:35 AM
I agree, you will need an external amp to keep up with your subs. Also deadening your doors (I assume the fronts are in the doors) should help midbass response. What subs do you have and how much power are you feeding them?

logikalone
07-19-2007, 09:52 AM
Those were my first set of speakers and I loved them. But head the warnings of others, an amp would be the best idea.

tbasile1
07-19-2007, 10:36 AM
does your Impala have stock components?? Ive seen alot of GM cars like Impala, Century, LeSabre, Malibu etc... have stock components

If so I would get a nice comp set and an amp

If not then just stick to coaxials and a 4ch amp

dan9124
07-19-2007, 03:49 PM
I have one JL 12W3v2 and an alpine MRP-M450 powering it at 4 ohms with 250 Watts. I don't really crank my music loud, especially compared to most guys with audio equipment. I can't imagine having 2 W3's in my trunk. One is plenty for me. Point is, if I prefer to listen to my music relatively low like this, do I still need an amp?

And no, my Impala doesn't have stock comps. Just the one speaker in the door. Also, does anyone know if 6.5's will fit instead of 6x9's?

DejaWiz
07-19-2007, 04:00 PM
An amp would be a good idea to maximize performance from the speakers. But if you don't want to install new speakers and an amp, then I suggest you turn the gain on the sub amp down (or use the HU subwoofer control) until the sub output blends nicely with the other speakers.