PDA

View Full Version : Tractor Muffler- Redneck Solution?

LoudCrownVic
07-16-2007, 01:00 AM
My dad back in the day says that they used to slap tractor mufflers on their trucks as performance mufflers. Tractor mufflers are about $25 to $40, while a 40 series flowmaster is about $75 or more.

I want to get a more agressive sound out of my ranger and am thinking of putting one of these tractor mufflers on from the farm store. My stock muffler has the shields coming off of it so it rattles atm but this is an easy fix, way easier than putting on a diff muffler altogether. I would probably put a broad tip on the tailpipe which is behind the rear passenger tire as well while I am down there.

Any opinions on this? Should I do it or shouldn't I?

wesl56
07-16-2007, 01:57 PM
just chop off ur stock muffler and get some long pipes. ah i love that sound

i dont know what the **** a tractor muffler is, or why you would put that on ur truck

jdawg
07-16-2007, 02:19 PM
just get a glasspack, $25

LoudCrownVic
07-16-2007, 06:43 PM
Tractor muffs come in hundreds of sizes but usually you can find one at the farm store that's the right diameter and will work. A tractor muffler is basically a glaspack or a chambered muffler like any other. Ive heard several v8 trucks running various types and they sound okay.

Since I am trying to go "nice" but cheap and I DID spend alot of time and money on sound deadening I am probably not going to do this.

And I don't really like the sound of 4cyl engines on a wide open exhaust, I would do that but truthfully It would annoy me alot quicker than it did when I was 16.

BassHead99
07-16-2007, 07:26 PM
Try a dynomax bullet. The shorter the case length the louder it is.
http://store.summitracing.com/egnsearch.asp?Ntk=KeywordSearch&DDS=1&Ntt=dynomax+bullet&searchinresults=false&N=+115

95BlackGA
07-17-2007, 04:02 AM
No resonator, nor muffler will be loud. ;) Straight pipes! I'm doing that with my GA once I can find a good price on piping and a good welder. ;)

Skatin Houston
07-30-2007, 11:29 PM
just get a glasspack, $25

X2 Won't really gain power, but it will sound mean.....Dump the tailpipe right after the glass pack.

InsaneKreationz
07-30-2007, 11:34 PM
Flomaster is not 75 more... since there 75 dollars outta summit.

SW9152
07-31-2007, 02:03 AM
bigger dia. pipe, high flow cat, and no muffler

LoudCrownVic
08-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Some decent ideas here! Kina dumped the exhaust project, worrying about the interior atm...

JohnnyChuttz
08-03-2007, 05:04 PM
I hacked off the muffler on my old 1992 Dodge Daytona 6cyl many moons ago. I shoved a turn down on( no clamp mind you), Stayed there until I went to trade it in on a Z71. Like the saying goes, Anything that can go wrong during a trade-in test drive will. They guy came back in afterwards and handed me the turn down, "I'll give you $50 for it." The exhaust wasn't the only thing wrong, it had a broken motor mount and the door hinges were tearing away from the door frame. I sold it to a nieghbor for $500

FineLinePimpin
09-07-2007, 04:44 PM
No matter what it wont sound POWERFUL its a 4cyl. A tractor muffler...or anymuffler just welded in i PROMISE you WONT see any power added to it. i honestly thought you were kidding about the tractor muffler...no way in hell would it add power then are made to choke down the dirty engines of tractors so it will only choke more on a gas engine. Hack the muffler off and run straight pipe and you lose way to much backpressure....which means you lose hp. IF you want more sound look into a real muffler...Magnaflow,flowmaster,dynomax..dont get dynomax turbo muffler it wont last long because its just stamped steel and will wear out quickly.

LoudCrownVic
09-09-2007, 11:09 AM
No matter what it wont sound POWERFUL its a 4cyl. A tractor muffler...or anymuffler just welded in i PROMISE you WONT see any power added to it. i honestly thought you were kidding about the tractor muffler...no way in hell would it add power then are made to choke down the dirty engines of tractors so it will only choke more on a gas engine. Hack the muffler off and run straight pipe and you lose way to much backpressure....which means you lose hp. IF you want more sound look into a real muffler...Magnaflow,flowmaster,dynomax..dont get dynomax turbo muffler it wont last long because its just stamped steel and will wear out quickly.

Choke down? most of the tractor mufflers I saw are basically glasspacks- straight through. The idea is cheap vs expensive. Most farmers have them laying around the shop, so they slap them on the truck for the hell of it. I was going to cut out my stock muffler and insert a $20 tractor muffler of some kind and then maybe put a broader tip on it to mellow the sound out if needed later.

I am not really looking for MORE power, (it would be nice though) a little more aggressive sound and no more rattling from the exhaust shields would be good enough of an improvement for me. And it woud be more than befitting of my farming heritage lolz.

I don't want to spend alot of money because I am likely going to either swap in a 3.5 ford or turbo the 2.5 4 banger thats in it later on. Reference this video:
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/26787183-eae3-4dbf-b6c4-997d0003a666.htm

And everyone knows that new 3.5 is making some great power... 260 and 20 mpg on regular gas.

GearGuy2001
09-17-2007, 01:33 AM
I bought 2 magnaflows for my car for like $75 total shiped to my door

so if you only need one Im sure you can get a good deal

www.performancepeddler.com

$50 for a 4" round with 2" in and out