PDA

View Full Version : short ram in an Alero

Kaltenberg
07-16-2007, 12:20 AM
So i wanna boost the hp in my 03 Alero a bit but i got to convince my dad its for better gas milage. he said hes gonna ask a friend that knows alot about that sh*t so does it really increase the mpg enough 2 to worth it or just for ponys?

diminishedpower
07-16-2007, 12:22 AM
SRI = Louder engine = tend to want to hear sound = worse gas milage and it dont really gain hp

twisztdauthorit
07-16-2007, 12:27 AM
how would you not gain hp with a better filter?

diminishedpower
07-16-2007, 12:29 AM
yea like 1-2 hp, if you tell me you can feel that ur nutz

twisztdauthorit
07-16-2007, 12:53 AM
hp is hp my friend.. and im sure some can add more then just 2 hp.
Id rather go cold air intake instead though.

diminishedpower
07-16-2007, 01:02 AM
ive personally never seen a SRI dyno'd (as in before and after same vehicle not my manufacturor) show more than about 3.5 hp) but with CAI (and yes i do even have one on mine) i have seen true Dyno's of a 10 hp+ gain

Silver
07-16-2007, 01:07 AM
So i wanna boost the hp in my 03 Alero a bit but i got to convince my dad its for better gas milage. he said hes gonna ask a friend that knows alot about that sh*t so does it really increase the mpg enough 2 to worth it or just for ponys?

all its going to do is sound better.

waste of money.

why try to force more air into a stock motor? i a motor only requires so much cfm of air. say meh 300cfm for a example.

you buy a filter that does 800cfm.

still, only 300cfm from that 800cfm is going to be used.

now if you modded the motor to where a sri is required, you wil notice a good 8-12hp gain.

lets say.. you mod and chip your alero, now it needs 750cfm of air. you have the stock 300cfm filter. its chokin with a power loss.

u get the 800cfm filter and the filter lets the motor breath better resultin in a hp gain..

i hope that made sense.

save your money.

bholtmeier
07-16-2007, 01:11 AM
all its going to do is sound better.

waste of money.

why try to force more air into a stock motor? i a motor only requires so much cfm of air. say meh 300cfm for a example.

you buy a filter that does 800cfm.

still, only 300cfm from that 800cfm is going to be used.

now if you modded the motor to where a sri is required, you wil notice a good 8-12hp gain.

lets say.. you mod and chip your alero, now it needs 750cfm of air. you have the stock 300cfm filter. its chokin with a power loss.

u get the 800cfm filter and the filter lets the motor breath better resultin in a hp gain..

i hope that made sense.

save your money.

What your trying to say is, YOU HAVE AN ALERO! LEAVE IT ALONE! ITS NOT MADE TO GO FAST.....

BUY A Z28. END OF THREAD.

:)

diminishedpower
07-16-2007, 01:13 AM
it all depends on engine and such, some engines come withe restrictive air intakes and such and there can be decent gains with just the intake swap but ya i agree for money SRI is a waste

vvblazers777
07-22-2007, 03:40 AM
Guys his question wasn't based on horsepower. His question was based on gas mileage. I've owned several cars, and at the prices they are now, cai is one of the first things I do. With a Cai, synthetic fluids / Redline, and my oil coiler (Yes under 200.00 I've seen almost 5 mpg improvment. Difference big enough? Considering I travel over 500 miles a week. You do the math. Yes it paid for its self in less then 4 tanks.

Silver
07-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Guys his question wasn't based on horsepower. His question was based on gas mileage. I've owned several cars, and at the prices they are now, cai is one of the first things I do. With a Cai, synthetic fluids / Redline, and my oil coiler (Yes under 200.00 I've seen almost 5 mpg improvment. Difference big enough? Considering I travel over 500 miles a week. You do the math. Yes it paid for its self in less then 4 tanks.

Doubt it, read it again.

He wants to convice his dad its for better gas milage but he wants it for hp. Then he proceeded to ask gas milage or hp. Neither with just a SRI. A few more mods have to be done, like you were explaining.

I doubt he wants to do coilovers, syn-fluids, ect. Even-tho less friction-better emissions and gas milage.

ShiningBuick
08-06-2007, 12:45 AM
What your trying to say is, YOU HAVE AN ALERO! LEAVE IT ALONE! ITS NOT MADE TO GO FAST.....

BUY A Z28. END OF THREAD.

:)

Tell that a Spyhunter puttin out 400 hp :naughty:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17117

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1218/751271550_a43f50fe17_b.jpg

Or BlackJack.. idk what he's doing for HP though

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14826
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j202/qaddamage/myturbo/DSCF0034.jpg

Sorry, I used to have an Alero, had to stand up for the things, hah!

Silver
08-06-2007, 06:58 PM
lol. turbo on a 3400. that spells disaster