PDA

View Full Version : Does it really matter what type of music I listen to?

geocab
07-15-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm currently shopping around for some nice comps for my front soundstage. I don't really want to spend more than $500/pair but might go a little higher depending on what I find.

I've been hearing very good things about the Focal 1652KPs, and the Rainbow Germaniums. My first question, are the Germaniums Rainbow's direct competition to the Focal's, or are there Rainbows higher up their lines that are a better choice to compare to them.

Anyway, one question I seem to always get asked, "what type of music do you listen to?" Why does that matter? Shouldn't a speaker be able to reproduce ANY kind of music? When I'm in the mood for some good bass I like to listen to rap/hip hop. When I want to mellow out, I'll listen to soft rock, jazz, sometimes electronica (like Paul Oakenfold); I also like to listen to classical music, maybe a tiny bit of opera; I also like to jam to classic rock, or newer bands like Godsmack, Korn, etc.; and then if I just want some good fast paced stuff, I'll listen to a good techno mix. I really do not like country music or R&B.

As you can see, my musical taste is all over the place and I don't want to buy speakers that are going to play one thing well, but not the other. Is there such a thing?

The only thing I can do to give an idea of what kind of sound I like speakerwise is to say I have Martin Logan Aeon i's for my main home speakers. I think they're fantastic speakers.

What are your thoughts?

bonesninja
07-15-2007, 09:29 PM
i think any quality comp set will play any music.

blimblam
07-15-2007, 09:32 PM
500 is plenty to spend on comps!

and it shouldn't matter what music you listen to.

MSW Danny
07-16-2007, 12:49 AM
if you go with brands such as focal, rainbow, dynaudio, etc. im sure they will sound good to practically any type of music

genxx
07-16-2007, 12:56 AM
Any of the brands already listed you will be happy with. X2 Focal, Rainbow, Dynaudio, Morel, CDT-Mixed Bag, Seas Lotus.

You might want to check out DLS also.