PDA

View Full Version : Giving 22wrms to a speaker with 60-70wrms?

pyoung9
07-15-2007, 07:17 PM
Will it still sound okay, or will I need to invest in an amp?

CRXBMPN
07-15-2007, 07:18 PM
it will sound ok, but you have the option of investing in an amp b/c you have alot of power headroom on the speakers.

CRXBMPN
07-15-2007, 07:18 PM
sorry for the double post!

pyoung9
07-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Another question, how do I know how many ohms my HU can handle, or does it not matter with speakers?

CRXBMPN
07-15-2007, 07:22 PM
i dont know the answer to that, maybe the lowest 2 ohm per channel? IDK...

dleccord
07-15-2007, 07:24 PM
hells no. 4ohm lowest. or at least the majority of the decks out there are.

blackbonnie
07-15-2007, 07:25 PM
HU's will only be good for 4 ohms.

Prowler573
07-15-2007, 07:26 PM
No, no, and furthermore no.
Do not drop a 2 Ohm load on any channel of a HU's internal amp. Unhappy results will be soon forthcoming if you do.

pyoung9?
You're going to want to invest in an outboard amp.
There simply aren't any headunits available that offer a strong enough output to truly satisfactorily power aftermarker speakers. Can you technically do it? Certainly. Will the sound output be exponentially better off of an outboard amp as compared to the internal amp in your HU? Again - certainly.
If your budget is tight there are several brands which have units available for lower-budget setups.
Buying used from the Classifieds here is also an option if you're trying to save some coin.
eBay is also another decent venue from which good deals can be sourced if you're willing to be pretty diligent in your research - both on the product(s) you are considering as well as the seller(s) who is/are offering them.

pyoung9
07-15-2007, 07:36 PM
No, no, and furthermore no.
Do not drop a 2 Ohm load on any channel of a HU's internal amp. Unhappy results will be soon forthcoming if you do.

pyoung9?
You're going to want to invest in an outboard amp.
There simply aren't any headunits available that offer a strong enough output to truly satisfactorily power aftermarker speakers. Can you technically do it? Certainly. Will the sound output be exponentially better off of an outboard amp as compared to the internal amp in your HU? Again - certainly.
If your budget is tight there are several brands which have units available for lower-budget setups.
Buying used from the Classifieds here is also an option if you're trying to save some coin.
eBay is also another decent venue from which good deals can be sourced if you're willing to be pretty diligent in your research - both on the product(s) you are considering as well as the seller(s) who is/are offering them.

Could you find one cheap online so I know what I'm looking for?

MSW Danny
07-15-2007, 07:37 PM
if you're happy with the results then just run the speakers with just 22w. If not, buy an amp.

Prowler573
07-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Could you find one cheap online so I know what I'm looking for?
I'll have a look and see what I can find...but I need to know two things first.
a) What speakers, specifically, are we looking to power?
b) What's your definition of "cheap"?

pyoung9
07-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Cheap, being the cheapest you can find for the job, the speakers will be between 70-100wrms

CRXBMPN
07-15-2007, 07:53 PM
I have an amp that will give you at least double the power your h/u will, PM me... its inexpensive and will do the trick.