PDA

View Full Version : N eed to program a new Ford PATS master key.

tRidiot
07-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Looks like I might have lost my last key for my 2002 Ford Taurus. I called Ford and they want $35 for the key, cut from the factory code, $35 to program it, and it has to be towed to their lot. They told me it is impossible to program a key without bringing the car to their lot. I naturally didn't believe this. ;)

So I found this online:

for Ford keys (1996 -early 1998 Ford, Lincoln, Mercury)
If you want to initiate a new master key....

1. Insert new key into ignition cylinder and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen minutes.

2. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder OFF and then back to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.

3. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder to OFF and then back ON (RUN) position. The dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.

4. After the security light stops flashing the third time, the new key has been programmed into the vehicles computer and will operate the car. It has replaced ALL the previous electronic key codes and is the ONLY key programmed into the vehicles computer.

If you want to add a key....

1. Insert an existing key into the ignition cylinder.

2. Turn the ignition cylinder to ON (RUN) and back to OFF.

3. Remove the existing key and, within 15 seconds, insert the new key and turn it to ON (RUN).

4. The security light will light up for two seconds to indicate success in programming the key into the vehicle.

5. Don't attempt to start the vehicle with any key for at least 1 minute.

Can anyone confirm that this method will work? I need to program a new master key, or program a key to the existing code. I realize it will take me 45 mins+ to do the job, but if it can possibly save me $100 or more, I'm willing to sit in the lot at the repair center (where the car is now) to do it. I'll just take a book and an egg timer. ;)

tRidiot
07-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Ok, got my key back. The repair shop still had it, although I had the remote-entry fob. Go figure. :rolleyes:

So anyways, I'm rollin' again, just now need to find out how to get more keys and program them without breaking the bank. We USED to have a 2nd, but in all our moving around the country it has either been lost, or is buried somewhere.

Still interested to know about this (programming a new Master Key), since I can buy uncut blanks, have them cut, then program them to have spares. Anyone?

2002XLT
07-13-2007, 11:23 AM
as far as i know, atleast on the explorers, you have to have 2 keys to make a 3rd one, and if you dont have 2 then you HAVE to go to the dealer and have them make you one, no way around it. The older ones you could do it, but not the new ones, their reason is so theives cant make their own key, but i have a feeling its so they can make more money.

tRidiot
07-13-2007, 11:56 AM
I can see the point of it for valets and such...

I'm just wondering if anyone knows of some kind of obscure workaround for it.

2002XLT
07-13-2007, 11:59 AM
one thing someone did mention one time, is that the reason it has to go to the dealer is because they put a chip in it that the car reads, well what they did, was take the original key apart and found the chip, put it close to the ignition so the computer would always read it, then they could have anybody cut a key to match and it worked. Ive never tried this, and honestly it doesnt sound very smart if you dont want to lose your ride, but it does make sense. Good luck.

tRidiot
07-13-2007, 03:10 PM
Yeah, not looking to jerry-rig anything, just trying to get some more keys without breaking the bank. ****, $70 for a dang key, that's my electric bill for a week. :(