PDA

View Full Version : Possible to blow NEW speakers?

jameisonstyle
07-13-2007, 03:54 AM
i just got my rsd 6.5 components and rsd coaxils by phoenix gold installed today. they run off the stock amp and i was trying to be causcious about not pushing them to hard and breaking htem in first.. but i do notice some crackling during one song that hits pretty hard.. but i dont think its crackling cuz of the bass but cuz of the treble... its slumper by e-40. but anyways...

do you think its possible to blow pg 6.5 components with a 180 watt amp that cant even get full power to each speaker that runs at 70 rms?

XanderMoser
07-13-2007, 02:10 PM
You're probably clipping the amp. Do you have the treble way up on the HU? That could distort the signal before the amp even sees it. Stock, right? Make sure everything is flat. Stock speakers are probably more sensitive, so louder at lower wattages. And the new speakers have more detail, revealing the crappiness of the stock amp. Time for a new amp.

todd.brust
07-13-2007, 08:06 PM
yeah it is possible....if you are clipping the signal...it's like sending a DC signal where it clips causing your voice coil to turn into a toaster :)