PDA

View Full Version : Logical or not?

giventofly
07-11-2007, 09:00 PM
I'm completely new to car stereos (besides listening) and trying to replace a mach 460 system in an 01 mustang convertible. i was thinking of running an Alpine MRP-F450 (70W x 4)with two channels to a set of SPR-17S components up front and then bridge the other two channels to power a single 12" sub. I am gonna get an Alpine CDA-9885 head unit and use that power to power either the same set of components in the rear or maybe a set of JBL components.

Logical or retarded?
You be the judge.

Please toss in any input of any amps or speakers or subs that you think kick *** and are not too too expensive.

CrazedCat
07-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Depends how much you care about your passengers listening experience. If u don't, then comps in the rear are a waste of money better invested in upgrading your front stage components and/or amp.

UCF52
07-11-2007, 11:52 PM
to get a little off topic, where do you plan to mount the components up front? i only ask because i have an 01 stang as well and am trying to figure out where i want to mount them. i am thinking the door because mine is a stick, but am curious to see what you are doing.

back on topic, i wouldnt buy a comp set for the rear to run off of HU power, but rather (if you must) buy a set of coax and put the saved money towards the front stage, just my .02

giventofly
07-12-2007, 01:45 AM
to get a little off topic, where do you plan to mount the components up front? i only ask because i have an 01 stang as well and am trying to figure out where i want to mount them. i am thinking the door because mine is a stick, but am curious to see what you are doing.

back on topic, i wouldnt buy a comp set for the rear to run off of HU power, but rather (if you must) buy a set of coax and put the saved money towards the front stage, just my .02

well the stereo in there now is the mach 460 with the "subs"(6x8) in the front lower doors and the tweeters mounted at the front of the windows. In the back its 6.5" and a pair of tweeters right above them in teh side panel. Thats why i was looking at comps, just so i can fill those spaces (and you can get them cheap off ebay). Honestly i just drive alot either solo or with one passenger, so i'm not worried about whoever is sitting in the back.

giventofly
07-12-2007, 01:50 AM
Depends how much you care about your passengers listening experience. If u don't, then comps in the rear are a waste of money better invested in upgrading your front stage components and/or amp.

honestly i don't care about their listening experience. if they are sitting in the back it means they're not cool enough to be in the front...they should be glad they get any music at all :laugh:

but seriously

i want to keep it around 1000 total and i'm willing to look used or ebay to do so. any recommendation on comps for the front or a good sub/box for rock music?

I'm lookin forward to see your setup in the jeep too.

UCF52
07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
well the stereo in there now is the mach 460 with the "subs"(6x8) in the front lower doors and the tweeters mounted at the front of the windows. In the back its 6.5" and a pair of tweeters right above them in teh side panel. Thats why i was looking at comps, just so i can fill those spaces (and you can get them cheap off ebay). Honestly i just drive alot either solo or with one passenger, so i'm not worried about whoever is sitting in the back.

yea i tore out the mach 460, and i was just planning on mounting the 6.5 driver in the door (since i cant fit kicks - clutch) and mount the tweeters in the stock 460 location in the sail panels, but i am new to aiming and imaging and all of that good stuff so i am trying to gather some info on fellow 94-04 mustang owners.

so it sounds like you are keeping the stock 460 speakers up front and mounting the comp set in the rear side panel?? tell me if im reading that correctly... anyways, if i am, then i would suggest putting the comp set up font and remove the rears.

giventofly
07-13-2007, 02:55 AM
yea i tore out the mach 460, and i was just planning on mounting the 6.5 driver in the door (since i cant fit kicks - clutch) and mount the tweeters in the stock 460 location in the sail panels, but i am new to aiming and imaging and all of that good stuff so i am trying to gather some info on fellow 94-04 mustang owners.

so it sounds like you are keeping the stock 460 speakers up front and mounting the comp set in the rear side panel?? tell me if im reading that correctly... anyways, if i am, then i would suggest putting the comp set up font and remove the rears.

no no no. The 460 is gonna be gone all the way. Not to mention i don't think you can really mount new speakers without installing a new amp. The mach system is a *****. If you get some decent comps i'd imagine you can just drop them right in the slots without too much hassle. As for imaging, i'm not too concerned because thats something that can be addressed later.

What are you looking to install amp/speaker wise? :cool:

UCF52
07-13-2007, 03:41 AM
no no no. The 460 is gonna be gone all the way. Not to mention i don't think you can really mount new speakers without installing a new amp. The mach system is a *****. If you get some decent comps i'd imagine you can just drop them right in the slots without too much hassle. As for imaging, i'm not too concerned because thats something that can be addressed later.

What are you looking to install amp/speaker wise? :cool:

well i just got my PG RSD 6.5 comp set and i was planning on powering them with a profile AP600 (100x2 @ 4ohm) and i was planning on mounting the mid in the door (with an MDF baffle and dedner) and the tweeter in the stock 460 location (in the sail panel). what are you planning on doing??

giventofly
07-15-2007, 07:42 PM
well i just got my PG RSD 6.5 comp set and i was planning on powering them with a profile AP600 (100x2 @ 4ohm) and i was planning on mounting the mid in the door (with an MDF baffle and dedner) and the tweeter in the stock 460 location (in the sail panel). what are you planning on doing??

my mind has changed every day, but now i'm looking at a memphis baby belle amp powering some nice comps up front and some less nice comps in the back (all 6.5s prolly) and then a single 12 sub in the back.

what do you think of the PGs? will any of the 1" tweeters fit in the sail? god i hope so. lemme know how your install goes. are you getting a new head unit??

if you need help with anything check this site out http://www.flemworld.com/Mach460/mach.html

keep me updated!

UCF52
07-16-2007, 01:17 AM
my mind has changed every day, but now i'm looking at a memphis baby belle amp powering some nice comps up front and some less nice comps in the back (all 6.5s prolly) and then a single 12 sub in the back.

what do you think of the PGs? will any of the 1" tweeters fit in the sail? god i hope so. lemme know how your install goes. are you getting a new head unit??

if you need help with anything check this site out http://www.flemworld.com/Mach460/mach.html

keep me updated!

i have completely ripped out the 460 system and have an eclipse deck in there now, but have yet to install the comps because i might be acquiring a new car (G35 coupe!). if i get a chance tomorrow ill test fit the tweets in the stock 460 sail panels and let you know how they fit.

if i end up sticking with the mustang, i plan on installing the 6.5 midbass in the doors (mdf baffle, completely deaden the doors) and putting the tweets in the stock 460 sail panels. kicks are out of the question because it would interfere when engaging the clutch. it will prob be a few weeks before i know what is going on with the car and then maybe a week after that when i install, so unfortunately i wont be able to show you anything for a while.

giventofly
07-16-2007, 02:48 AM
i have completely ripped out the 460 system and have an eclipse deck in there now, but have yet to install the comps because i might be acquiring a new car (G35 coupe!). if i get a chance tomorrow ill test fit the tweets in the stock 460 sail panels and let you know how they fit.

if i end up sticking with the mustang, i plan on installing the 6.5 midbass in the doors (mdf baffle, completely deaden the doors) and putting the tweets in the stock 460 sail panels. kicks are out of the question because it would interfere when engaging the clutch. it will prob be a few weeks before i know what is going on with the car and then maybe a week after that when i install, so unfortunately i wont be able to show you anything for a while.

NICE CAR! Do you have a coupe or vert stang?

Its pretty useful to have the clutch when you drive. Kick panels are out for me too. I have pretty much bought the baby belle and am just now looking for some speakers hook it up to. I'm still super new at this. How would you recommend I wire 4 new pairs of comps?

Also, if you have a vert, have you ever dealt with subs? and where are you mounting your amp??

UCF52
07-16-2007, 01:54 PM
NICE CAR! Do you have a coupe or vert stang?

coupe

Its pretty useful to have the clutch when you drive. Kick panels are out for me too. I have pretty much bought the baby belle and am just now looking for some speakers hook it up to. I'm still super new at this. How would you recommend I wire 4 new pairs of comps?

that's a sweet amp. i am pretty new as well, but from browsing these forums for a while i can say that you should only need one component set (front), and if you'd like, a coaxial set for rear fill. most will recommend that you sink as much of your dough towards your front stage and amp, and run the rear fill off of the HU power, but that's just what i have gathered.

Also, if you have a 'vert, have you ever dealt with subs? and where are you mounting your amp??

well, i have a coupe so i cannot give you first hand info on this, but if i did had a vert i would prob make FG enclosures that sit in the back sides (right in front of the taillights) and mount the amps in either a false floor or towards the front of the trunk so you can still salvage some trunk space. i have also seen (in an s2000) a FG enclosure that fit into the passenger side footwell with an 8 or 10 in it. although the s2000's footwells are significantly deeper than ours. 'verts **** for substages! you should try and search the forums a little to gather more info on substages in 'verts. also i wouldnt bother searching around a lot of the mustang forums because they all seem to lack interest in A/V, respectively.

i test fitted the rsd tweets in the stock 460 sail panel and the only way to mount them in their is to fabricate a little baffle for the tweet to sit on. if i end up keeping the car i will prob use very thin (1/8") wood to create a baffle and use the stock mounting holes/hardware to secure it to the sail panel. ill update you accordingly.

giventofly
07-16-2007, 06:55 PM
coupe

that's a sweet amp. i am pretty new as well, but from browsing these forums for a while i can say that you should only need one component set (front), and if you'd like, a coaxial set for rear fill. most will recommend that you sink as much of your dough towards your front stage and amp, and run the rear fill off of the HU power, but that's just what i have gathered.

Yeah thats what i think i'll do. No one sits in the back of the car anyways.

well, i have a coupe so i cannot give you first hand info on this, but if i did had a vert i would prob make FG enclosures that sit in the back sides (right in front of the taillights) and mount the amps in either a false floor or towards the front of the trunk so you can still salvage some trunk space. i have also seen (in an s2000) a FG enclosure that fit into the passenger side footwell with an 8 or 10 in it. although the s2000's footwells are significantly deeper than ours. 'verts **** for substages! you should try and search the forums a little to gather more info on substages in 'verts. also i wouldnt bother searching around a lot of the mustang forums because they all seem to lack interest in A/V, respectively.

Also a good idea. Let me know how your install goes. Good luck getting the G35!

UCF52
07-16-2007, 07:13 PM
Yeah thats what i think i'll do. No one sits in the back of the car anyways.

yea im not going to have any rear fill, its rare when someone sits back their.

Also a good idea. Let me know how your install goes. Good luck getting the G35!

i think i might just go ahead and install the comps in the mustang because i am bored and am not taking any classes right now. and god i hope i can score that G35!

ill post pics whenever i get around to installing them... i am in the middle of trying to get a house so it might be a week or so.

giventofly
07-20-2007, 04:35 PM
can you just drop the 6.5" comps right in the front door? If so i think i'm gonna go with the PG RSD's too! I don't need perfection.. just something way better than what i've got.

UCF52
07-20-2007, 11:45 PM
can you just drop the 6.5" comps right in the front door? If so i think i'm gonna go with the PG RSD's too! I don't need perfection.. just something way better than what i've got.

well, you cant drop them in w/o some minor modifications. for the tweeters you're going to have to make a little baffle and use the flush mount hardware to mount them snug. i used an 8"x10" (~1/8" thick) piece of plexi ($1.94) and a dremel to make them. it can be kinda of a **tch to use plexi as it is very brittle and and cracks easily. i will post some pics of the pair i have made so you can get an idea of what i am talking about.

as for the midbass driver... you're going to have to make baffle to mount them correctly. unfortunately the people at ford like to use 5x7 speakers, so baffles are a must. i will prob make the baffles for the 6.5's in the next couple of days, but it's pretty straight forward; im going to use either 1/2" or 3/4 " mdf and then from their just follow the tutorial below to properly deaden and install the midbass;

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95925

... and i've never had components before, but from what i hear they make a worlds of a difference (with an amp of course)

giventofly
07-21-2007, 06:08 PM
as for the midbass driver... you're going to have to make baffle to mount them correctly. unfortunately the people at ford like to use 5x7 speakers, so baffles are a must. i will prob make the baffles for the 6.5's in the next couple of days, but it's pretty straight forward; im going to use either 1/2" or 3/4 " mdf and then from their just follow the tutorial below to properly deaden and install the midbass;

right on.

i found this bracket. http://cgi.ebay.com/Metra-82-5600-Ford-Speaker-Adapter-5x7-6x8-NIP_W0QQitemZ150143445657QQihZ005QQcategoryZ50552Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and figure i'll use this to mount the speaker, and maybe buy a foam baffle to put behind it. Deaden the doors too. I'm gonna have someone professionally install it just because this way i'll have someone to go to if it doesn't work. I'll do the deadening myself to save on parts and labor.

do you think one 10" or 12" sub will be enough bass to keep up with everything? I figure i'll do that myself too. I just don't wanna have to run wires and such

also, are you just using the factory speaker wire??

UCF52
07-22-2007, 04:57 PM
right on.

i found this bracket. http://cgi.ebay.com/Metra-82-5600-Ford-Speaker-Adapter-5x7-6x8-NIP_W0QQitemZ150143445657QQihZ005QQcategoryZ50552Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

and figure i'll use this to mount the speaker, and maybe buy a foam baffle to put behind it. Deaden the doors too. I'm gonna have someone professionally install it just because this way i'll have someone to go to if it doesn't work. I'll do the deadening myself to save on parts and labor.

that bracket should be fine, but if you are already going to have the panel off to deaden the doors you might as well mount the speakers and save a little money. its pretty easy to do. also wiring the car for an amp isnt that bad.

do you think one 10" or 12" sub will be enough bass to keep up with everything? I figure i'll do that myself too. I just don't wanna have to run wires and such

to be honest with you i have never been in a convertible with a substage so i cant give any advice hear, but i would think a 500 watt 12" should sound pretty good.

running the wires is kind of a *****, but its pretty cool to step back after your done and be able to say you did it all yourself. plus you save some money.

also, are you just using the factory speaker wire??

well you cant use the factory speaker wire if you are running an external amplifier. if you are using HU power then that would be fine.

giventofly
07-24-2007, 05:55 PM

What other equipment did you need to install the eclipse? Any harnesses or just the mounting kit from crutchfield or metra?

I'm gathering my stuff now. Possibly gonna follow your setup. Eclipse CD7000 HU, PGRSD65cs comps in front, maybe some memphis or PG coaxs in back. Front stage powered at 150W x 2 bridged memphis baby belle and the rear stage will be HU powered. Gonna throw in a single 200W RMS Memphis MSeries 12" sub in the back in a small sealed box that they make for trucks.

anything else i'm missing? i got the speaker wire and the amp install kit (4ga.) from knokonceptz and a 2 pairs of RCAs for the speaker/sub into the amp.

Just don't wanna get everything only to find out that i'm missing something

UCF52
07-24-2007, 06:15 PM
What other equipment did you need to install the eclipse? Any harnesses or just the mounting kit from crutchfield or metra?

I'm gathering my stuff now. Possibly gonna follow your setup. Eclipse CD7000 HU, PGRSD65cs comps in front, maybe some memphis or PG coaxs in back. Front stage powered at 150W x 2 bridged memphis baby belle and the rear stage will be HU powered. Gonna throw in a single 200W RMS Memphis MSeries 12" sub in the back in a small sealed box that they make for trucks.

anything else i'm missing? i got the speaker wire and the amp install kit (4ga.) from knokonceptz and a 2 pairs of RCAs for the speaker/sub into the amp.

Just don't wanna get everything only to find out that i'm missing something

yea, to install the deck all you'll need is the wiring harness and the dash kit.

your setup sounds good to me. you might want to look into building your own enclosure and go ported especially since you have a 'vert. you'll prob need all the output you can get from 200w. but like i said earlier i have no experience with substages and convertibles.

as far as installation equipment... it sounds like you have decided to install everything yourself. if thats the case then your going to need materials to construct baffles for the midbass and tweeters and deaden the doors. so you'll need to add some kind of sound deadner, scrap wood (mdf is fine for baffles), a few screws to secure the baffle to the door, clay or some material to seal the front of the baffle from the door. as for the tweeters i used an 8x10 piece of lexan or plexi (cant remember). other than that just make sure you have the right tools for the job and you should be good. make sure you TAKE YOUR TIME, especially if this is your first time. make sure everything is done correctly and double check everything.

i will post some pics of the plexi tweeter baffles i made soon, so you have an idea of the direction you'll need to be going in.

EDIT: i forgot your getting the 6.5" baffles off of ebay, but you'll still want to make sure you properly deaden the doors and what not

giventofly
07-24-2007, 06:34 PM
yea, to install the deck all you'll need is the wiring harness and the dash kit.

awesome

where'd you get yours from? (harness/dash kit)

Thanks soooo much for the help!

UCF52
07-24-2007, 10:03 PM
awesome

where'd you get yours from? (harness/dash kit)

Thanks soooo much for the help!

i actually got mine installed at sound advice because it was free with the purchase, but you might want to look at crutchfield.com. i heard they include a lot of information regarding HU installation, plus their customer service is great in case you have questions.