PDA

View Full Version : 3 ohm ht speakers

sue bee
07-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Who makes them? Where can I get them? I NEED THEM.

5 speaker sets preferred, don't mind piecing together.

req
07-11-2007, 03:07 PM
why 3 ohm?

sue bee
07-11-2007, 03:58 PM
cuzzzzzzzzz. that's what the amp runs at. any suggestions?

joetama
07-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Unless you build them yourself I think you are going to be SOL....

Plus, it is going to be rather hard to find speakers that are 3 ohm to start out with anyway...

hayden
07-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Magneplanars are a "solid" four ohm load, and may dip below this a little. They can soak up power and contrary to popular belief sound very good as HT speakers. The "coolness" factor of having five planar speakers in a HT is nice as well. :)

JP

ballstothewall
07-12-2007, 12:25 PM
Magneplanars are a "solid" four ohm load, and may dip below this a little. They can soak up power and contrary to popular belief sound very good as HT speakers. The "coolness" factor of having five planar speakers in a HT is nice as well. :)

JP

IMO the problem with Maggies need an assload of power on tap though if you want to push them. I doubt he really has enough power.

sue bee
07-12-2007, 04:16 PM
IMO the problem with Maggies need an assload of power on tap though if you want to push them. I doubt he really has enough power.

and even if i did...

well lets say i don't like them.

joetama
07-12-2007, 04:41 PM
and even if i did...

Listen before you buy... ;)

ballstothewall
07-12-2007, 06:11 PM
and even if i did...

As long as you don't have a need for lots of bass, you'll like them. :naughty:

joetama
07-12-2007, 06:13 PM
As long as you don't have a need for lots of bass, you'll like them. :naughty:

Are you kidding....

YOu are aware that most people on this forum only like the Bass....

But, I thing they sound AMAZING

ballstothewall
07-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Are you kidding....

YOu are aware that most people on this forum only like the Bass....

But, I thing they sound AMAZING

I LOVE mine, but most people on this forum might not because they lack low end authority. I think mine sound absolutley amazing and do not regret paying for them one little bit. I think I can get more low end out of mine if I spend more time with placement, just haven't had time yet.

Scoobydoo
07-12-2007, 06:33 PM
I replied in the other thread, but may as well reply here too

There is no way that is a 200x6 system and IMO if you try to run 3ohm speakers at a high volume your just gonna fry the amp.

Notice JVC uses "1200 watt mega power" to describe it, thats kinda like a PMPO(peak music power output) thing, real world watts are probably 50 watts per channel at most.

Get a decent/efficient set of 6-8 ohm home speakers, maybe something like Paradigm, that way they will get decently loud on 50 watts and sound good as well

sue bee
07-12-2007, 06:35 PM
ok, new question...best bang for the buck 4 ohm speakers?

Scoobydoo
07-12-2007, 06:40 PM

there isn't a best bang for your buck section when you are talking home audio and 4ohm speakers, they just aren't common

the lower impedences are mostly in higher priced speakers because they assume you are going to be using real power amps that can handle a 4ohm load with them

they are gonna cost you hundreds, maybe thousands and you arent gonna want to power them with that jvc unless you wanna blow the amp or speakers

trust me that jvc is not gonna like anything below 6-8 ohms

ballstothewall
07-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Used Maggies.

I got my Maggies and the QSC amp I'm powering them with for under 700$ shipped to my door. Talk about some serious bang for the buck.

sue bee
07-12-2007, 06:58 PM
they're huge and hideous imo. sorry, apperciate the advice tho. and uh, again, i paid $50 for the receiver, $700 anything is beyond my price range. nobody has anything for me in the 4 ohm area?

ballstothewall
07-12-2007, 07:03 PM
Ok, they are huge, hideous I'm going to have to dissagree with you on that one though...

Scoobydoo
07-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Ok, they are huge, hideous I'm going to have to dissagree with you on that one though...

i'm thinking if you post anything he/she doesnt want to hear he/she is just going to ignore you or disagree so there is no point

IMO let he/she buy 4ohm speakers and fry the amp the first day since he/she is to stubborn to take advice

LOL at a $50 receiver being able to drive a 3-4ohm load though:)

sue bee
07-12-2007, 09:04 PM
i'm thinking if you post anything he/she doesnt want to hear he/she is just going to ignore you or disagree so there is no point

IMO let he/she buy 4ohm speakers and fry the amp the first day since he/she is to stubborn to take advice

LOL at a $50 receiver being able to drive a 3-4ohm load though:)

you're just butt hurt because of all the things that exist in life, i'm better than you in all of them except car audio. oh and how will i ever repay you for telling me to get 6 ohm speakers? what? paradigm? aren't those like hundreds of dollars when i spent $50 for a receiver? no, no, don't worry, that's great advice. thanks.

hayden
07-12-2007, 10:22 PM
they're huge and hideous imo. sorry, apperciate the advice tho. and uh, again, i paid $50 for the receiver, $700 anything is beyond my price range. nobody has anything for me in the 4 ohm area?

I totally understand if you don't like the way they look, but the smaller Maggies are not huge (four feet tall, a litte over a foot wide, and 1.25" thick) and match room decor quite well. The bass from them (when properly set-up) is surprising. It is not one-note midbass, but is simply "right."

JP

HCCA
07-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Hmmm, not related to the thread, but...
Thanks for the tip on the Maggies. I have heard of them....but not auditioned them. I will now, though. They sound like something I might like. I'm more of an accurate sound guy than a "one note bass" guy.

ballstothewall
07-13-2007, 01:12 AM
Hmmm, not related to the thread, but...
Thanks for the tip on the Maggies. I have heard of them....but not auditioned them. I will now, though. They sound like something I might like. I'm more of an accurate sound guy than a "one note bass" guy.

You will most likely LOVE them then, they are extremely clear and just sound Nice.

Scoobydoo
07-13-2007, 02:27 AM
you're just butt hurt because of all the things that exist in life, i'm better than you in all of them except car audio. oh and how will i ever repay you for telling me to get 6 ohm speakers? what? paradigm? aren't those like hundreds of dollars when i spent $50 for a receiver? no, no, don't worry, that's great advice. thanks.

wow your an *** pirate

your system *****, deal with it

these guys know it, but lets see you make an *** of yourself first.........even though you already have....

1loudsuv
07-13-2007, 09:14 AM
How much does the op want to spend on speakers? Dunno but if someone spent $50 for the receive I doubt they are gonna want to spend over $200 for speakers, and in that case best thing to do is go ebay used route.

jdawg
07-13-2007, 09:37 AM
build your own

sue bee
07-13-2007, 11:57 AM
how do i built my own? anybody got some good directions?

joetama
07-13-2007, 11:58 AM
I think he needs to buy some headphones... :laugh:

sue bee
07-13-2007, 12:19 PM
I think he needs to buy some headphones... :laugh:

:laugh:

joetama
07-13-2007, 12:56 PM
:laugh:

Actually I'm not laughing.... :eyebrow:

ballstothewall
07-13-2007, 07:18 PM
Use the receiver as an amp, and a pair of Sennheiser HD580's would probably work pretty decent.

bballer123
07-17-2007, 01:35 AM
i think some sony earbuds would be fitting for this situation

seriously though, why do you need to use 3-4 ohm speakers?