PDA

View Full Version : New long block or get mine rebuilt?

bonesninja
07-11-2007, 03:41 PM
Well i nned my cutty's motor worked on and i got quotes from various places. I can get a long block delivered to my door and offloaded to my garage for $1368 total with a 3 year/36,000 parts and assembly warranty or i can get my motor rebuilt, which will mean disassembly, block dipped, and rebuilt, cylinder heads dipped, honed and valves ground and reassembled and put back in my car for $1500.

The catch is that if something is wrong with block or heads then it's gonna cost more $$$$, and could total an unknown amount of money. If i go with the new (reman'd) long block assembly.....i know its gonna be good and i know exactly how much money upfront that its gonna cost me (also buying new intake, headers, valve covers, flywheel, timing set, installed by me and my dad) if i go this route. Total $2400

What would you do? $1500 and take chance of more going wrong or $2400 and knowing its done right?

Ohh btw the rebuild would have only 1 year/12,000 warranty on the labor plus manufacturers warranty on parts

Skip01
07-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Id go with the rebuilt

It pretty much same thing a remaned one is...just a rebuilt one that someone brought in messed up and they smoothed out the areas to make it nice again

It risking money on either end and id rather have money in my pocket to fix a rebuilt one than no money when a remanufactored has something go wrong with it

But thats just me....and i hate making these decisions when its me....glad to make them when its someone elses money haha...Good Luck man

bonesninja
07-11-2007, 04:23 PM
yeah....either way *****. No one locally does extensive engine work so i have to take my car 100 miles from home to get even a rebuild.

Max_Power
07-11-2007, 04:28 PM
I think the long block is the way to go. My dad recently got his 5.0 replaced in his truck, and have had almost no problems. The warranty alone is worth it.

bonesninja
07-11-2007, 04:41 PM
funny you should post...Toledo is where i would take it for the rebuild. Motor Rebuilders on Monroe i think they are. My old man lives in Temperence, MI

hemiscott
07-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Long block, mostly because of a warranty and a lot of machine shops are crooks. GL

Ferendon
07-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Long block hands down. Take it in to get it rebuilt, and I promise they'll find other problems with it. They're gonna wanna replace all those things you're gonna put on the long block anyways, but you'd have to pay their price, and their labor charges, as well as 1/3 the warranty. On older Chevys, you can often find performance parts for cheaper than stock replacements, so do it yourself, and built it for some balls.

jonnybusa
07-22-2007, 10:13 PM
Well i nned my cutty's motor worked on and i got quotes from various places. I can get a long block delivered to my door and offloaded to my garage for $1368 total with a 3 year/36,000 parts and assembly warranty or i can get my motor rebuilt, which will mean disassembly, block dipped, and rebuilt, cylinder heads dipped, honed and valves ground and reassembled and put back in my car for $1500.

The catch is that if something is wrong with block or heads then it's gonna cost more $$$$, and could total an unknown amount of money. If i go with the new (reman'd) long block assembly.....i know its gonna be good and i know exactly how much money upfront that its gonna cost me (also buying new intake, headers, valve covers, flywheel, timing set, installed by me and my dad) if i go this route. Total $2400

What would you do? $1500 and take chance of more going wrong or $2400 and knowing its done right?

Ohh btw the rebuild would have only 1 year/12,000 warranty on the labor plus manufacturers warranty on parts

To me, its not even an choice.........get the long block. There are a few reasons. 1, the new block will put out more power than the old one, and will run more efficient because its new. You'll be giving it more performance parts, which will add good power.
2nd, the warranty is huge w/ the longblock, and odds are it'll be better built.
3rd, the piece of mind you'll have will be enormous even though you spent that xtra $1000......that means alot.....especially when you add power and such later. You know it'll be built right, and not have to secong guess and worry whenever you want to do something to it.
Go w/ the longblock, but weigh your options w/ it. I know w/ the stangs anyway, there are different price/performance options w/ longblocks, and for a few hundred more, hotter parts can be thrown in.
Either way, good luck, and I hope it works out for ya!