PDA

View Full Version : head unit problem I believe.

hazardous0388
07-11-2007, 12:44 AM
Alright well heres my head unit
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=5511

and heres my problem.

It just started happening today and I know its not wired wrong unless something got lose which i dont see how it could...
The headunit is turning the amps on just perfectly, but the amps actually turn off for a split second when I start to push on the gas pedal, such as if im at a red light and it turns green or at a stop sign. Im going to run a small cable from the battery to the amps directly to see it this solves the problem and I know its the headunit, its still under warrentee at BB so I know i can get a swap for a new head unit. But im just trying to get this solved incase its something else. It just seems wierd , such as its losing voltage just from when i pull off from a red light or a stop sign.
If anyone has any suggestions Please LET ME KNOW

Dustin

hazardous0388
07-12-2007, 12:38 AM
???

toughone00
07-12-2007, 12:55 AM
well ...you can try just running a straight line from your batt to you amp. but put a toggle on so it not on 24/7 but that not always bst to do that cuz when ur subs bumping ur amps not getting a constent 12V to it well good luck

Stel
07-12-2007, 11:39 AM
It might be a wire momentarily breaking contact due to the vehicle's acceleration. If you hold the break and touch the gas, preventing the car from moving, does it still do it? (Don't do that much it's not good for the trans) btw did BB install it?

frzninvt
07-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Could be that the remote lead was routed around or near the gas pedal and accompanying mechanical assembly and depressing the pedal is stretching it and causing it to lose contact temporarily. Trace your power wire & remote lead front to back and check the amp grounds to ensure good contact.

Babs
07-12-2007, 12:01 PM
Going to show my ignorance on amp-power leads but I think doesn't it just supply a 12v constant to turn on the amps? If that's the case, your turn-on lead is losing juice when you hit the gas.. Something electrical either in the head unit or in the car is going on. Possibly the power supply to your head unit??? I'd also check your connections 12v and acc to the head unit, just for giggles.

May be a question for a good installer.. Can you use another acc line from your fuse box to supply the remote leads on the amps?

Sorry.. I'm really showing how ignorant in some parts of 12V here.

jluv
07-12-2007, 12:28 PM
A remote lead is simply switched power. You don't even have to run it from your head unit, but you don't want to have constant power from your battery to the remote input or your amps will stay on 24/7.

I run switched power from the factory harness to a relay, and then from the relay to my head unit, amps, and other pieces of my system that require switched power or have "remote" leads.

How many amps do you have hooked up to the head unit? Are you using a relay? Some head units can't handle feeding switched power to more than 2 or 3 amps. I don't think that's your problem, but consider using a relay just to be safe.

Sounds like a loose connection to me. I agree with frzninvt that you should retrace your wiring.

Stel
07-12-2007, 12:58 PM
There shouldn't be a voltage drop when the car accelerates, it should actually go up with higher rpms. You can monitor it with a voltmeter to be sure. An analog meter might be better for this since it would be more responsive to a momentary drop. I still think it's a wiring issue though.

toughone00
07-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Going to show my ignorance on amp-power leads but I think doesn't it just supply a 12v constant to turn on the amps? If that's the case, your turn-on lead is losing juice when you hit the gas.. Something electrical either in the head unit or in the car is going on. Possibly the power supply to your head unit??? I'd also check your connections 12v and acc to the head unit, just for giggles.

May be a question for a good installer.. Can you use another acc line from your fuse box to supply the remote leads on the amps?

Sorry.. I'm really showing how ignorant in some parts of 12V here.

ok but if the head unit power suppleys goin bad....if the amp turns off wouldnt the head unit also turn off

Stel
07-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Probably, but maybe it's so fast that capacitors in the HU don't drain fully and it stays on but cuts power to it's remote for a split second. Most amps do have a delayed turn on, so if it only cuts for it split second it might trigger the turn on delay which is 1+ seconds. I'd be more suspicious of the wiring to the amp, GND, +12, and remote. Both ends of these wires should be checked.

We'll find out a lot more when he runs the wire direct from the battery.