PDA

View Full Version : cda-9885 and PXA-H701

bjayjr5679
07-10-2007, 05:21 PM
Now i just want to know if you guys think this would be good investment in a future 5.1 set up and tunability because i will want to go active later but dont really need all the options of the cda 9887 right now want to know more and assemble the pieces for a great set-up. Now crutchfield say that it can control the PXA-H701 i just want to know if it would be good investment for somebofy that wants to learn more and go all out later.

jluv
07-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Now i just want to know if you guys think this would be good investment in a future 5.1 set up and tunability because i will want to go active later but dont really need all the options of the cda 9887 right now want to know more and assemble the pieces for a great set-up. Now crutchfield say that it can control the PXA-H701 i just want to know if it would be good investment for somebofy that wants to learn more and go all out later.

The 701 is awesome, but I don't think you can control it from that unit. I could be wrong.

bjayjr5679
07-10-2007, 09:00 PM
The 701 is awesome, but I don't think you can control it from that unit. I could be wrong.

well the manual on page 22 http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/CDA-9885%20OM.PDF

says that it can and it is ainet compatible

bjayjr5679
07-10-2007, 10:18 PM
anybody? will i need the controller to be able to use the time correction? Other than that Anybody?:confused:

jluv
07-11-2007, 09:36 AM
well the manual on page 22 http://vault.alpine-usa.com/products/documents/CDA-9885%20OM.PDF

says that it can and it is ainet compatible

I just looked at page 22 and didn't see anything about the H701.

:confused:

bjayjr5679
07-11-2007, 10:53 AM
I just looked at page 22 and didn't see anything about the H701.

:confused:

sorry :blackeye: its on page 21 under the heading Setting the External Digital Input

Sorry for the confusion.

jluv
07-11-2007, 11:57 AM
sorry :blackeye: its on page 21 under the heading Setting the External Digital Input

Sorry for the confusion.

I still don't see anywhere that it says you can control the H701 from that unit.

mendon99
07-11-2007, 12:03 PM
you cannot control the H701 with this unit.

only the RUX-C701, the W200/205 series, and the IVA-D310 can, in that order with full funtionality (d310 has the least). And possibly the F1 dvi unit...

and im pretty sure it doesnt go through AI-net, because with that arguement even the 9883 could control it..

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PXA-H701

the paragraph below the pic shows what controls it, but for whatever reason they forgot to add the W200 series..

bjayjr5679
07-11-2007, 02:05 PM
you cannot control the H701 with this unit.

only the RUX-C701, the W200/205 series, and the IVA-D310 can, in that order with full funtionality (d310 has the least). And possibly the F1 dvi unit...

and im pretty sure it doesnt go through AI-net, because with that arguement even the 9883 could control it..

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=PXA-H701

the paragraph below the pic shows what controls it, but for whatever reason they forgot to add the W200 series..

Alright first off its not a arguement and i am not trying to prove anything i was asking a question because Crutchfield and the user manual for the cda-9885 says that it can from the manual:

Setting the External Digital Input
When an ALPINE Ai-NET compatible digital audio processor
(PXA-H701) and a DVD player (DVE-5207) not compatible with
Ai-NET are connected, set Digital AUX to ON to enjoy 5.1-channel
surround sound.
• Press SOURCE/ , and select the D.AUX mode, and adjust the
volume, etc.
• Depending on the connected audio processor, DVD player sound
may continue to be output, even though the source is changed to
another one. If this occurs, set the DVD player’s power to OFF.

and crutchfield's site:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-35Aqv0wL8kM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&tab=detailed_info&i=500CDA9885#Tab

External Processor Controls: This unit can control an Alpine multi-channel sound processor, such as the PXA-H701 (item number 500PXAH701).

So unless its a wrong on both sites i cant but if its right can.

James Bang
07-11-2007, 02:19 PM
it should be able to control the h701. if the HU on alpine's website has this logo under it, http://www.alpine-usa.com/images/products/icons/Ai_processor_icon_pre.gifit should be compatible w/ a processor.

http://www.alpine-usa.com/US-en/products/product.php?model=CDA-9885&lang=en&tab=D

jluv
07-11-2007, 02:40 PM
Alright first off its not a arguement and i am not trying to prove anything i was asking a question because Crutchfield and the user manual for the cda-9885 says that it can from the manual:

surround sound.
volume, etc.

and crutchfield's site:http://www.crutchfield.com/S-35Aqv0wL8kM/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=300&tab=detailed_info&i=500CDA9885#Tab

External Processor Controls: This unit can control an Alpine multi-channel sound processor, such as the PXA-H701 (item number 500PXAH701).

Don't trust Crutchfield. They do get stuff wrong.

That stuff you copied from the manual does not state that the unit controls the H701. It's telling you how to select the aux digital input, so that it will work with the H701. That doesn't mean you can control the functions via the head unit.

My impression is that you needed the controller or a video head unit, like a DVA-XXXX or IVA-XXXX. Just because the two units hook up and communicate does not mean that the unit has the correct software to allow you to control the many, many functions of the H701.

Maybe it does control it, but that is not what it's saying there on page 21.

mendon99
07-11-2007, 03:23 PM

surround sound.
volume, etc.

Im not trying to argue with you either dude, just stating the facts for everyone. im about 99% sure you can't control it with the 9885..

Calling my Alpine rep now

bjayjr5679
07-11-2007, 04:02 PM
I just want and need to know if it can or cannot.

mendon99
07-11-2007, 04:53 PM
k just got off the phone with him.

You need the controller or one of the video decks as mentioned earlier, so NO, it cannot be controlled by the 9885 or the 9887.

bjayjr5679
07-11-2007, 05:04 PM
thank you very much for the clarification :)

mendon99
07-11-2007, 05:08 PM
no prob!

Babs
07-11-2007, 05:37 PM
This subject does seem to come up a lot about the H701.. It is indeed confusing.
The way I understood the 701, it's best performance is from an optical digital input from it's source, be it a DVD head unit that has optical-out or changer, etc.

Otherwise, you'd have to connect to the H701 in analog, which I'm not a fan of because you'd have a D/A conversion in the head unit, then another A/D/A conversion in the 701.. signal gets minutely degraded with each conversion and I've heard noise can be introduced running analog to the 701.

So I'd say:

For best performance, run any optical DVD alpine that will work with the 701.

For cleanest install (if you can go 2-din), run a touchscreen Alpine DVD that will also control the 701 as well as feed it optical.. The 200 or 205 is nice.. 105 also for a 1-din dash would be cool I'd bet if it controls it completely.. probably does. Plus the 701 control screens on a 2-din screen are very nice.

Me too.. same boat.. waiting on the CDA-9887 but entertaining other options for good TA and Active Crossover processing.

jluv
07-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Plus the 701 control screens on a 2-din screen are very nice.

On that note, as a former W200 owner and a current W205 owner, the way the W205 displays the graphic equalizer from the H701 *****. On the W200, it actually shows a graph. You can move the points for each frequency up and down a line and the values are shown out to the side of the graph. Each frequency point is right next to the other so the overallpicture actually shows a curvy line, giving you a great overall visual picture of what you are doing with your sound.

On the W205, it does not show a graph at all. Instead, it lists each frequency and then has the value for that frequency next to it. It looks like this, for example:

20 hz -6 db
22hz -6 db
25 hz -2 db
28 hz 0db
31 hz +2 db

And so on....

WTF? I mean, isn't a graphic eq, by definition, supposed to be displayed as a graph?

Oh, and the W205 does not have a MUTE button. Ya, they took it off but added a "visual" shortcut button on the panel (not the touch screen). The only way to mute the unit is with the remote.

Still, I like the W205 better because of the better bluetooth functions and it does multicast with HD radio. And of course, the main reason I bought it is because of the ability to dock the new Blackbird once it finally comes out. If those things don't matter to you, and if you can save a lot on a used W200, go that route because it has a better display when used with the H701.