PDA

View Full Version : so is my car trash?

budahbuddy803
07-09-2007, 08:48 PM
well i got a 1993 suby legacy wagon for my birthday in november so it has been about 7 months since i got it. I just started hearing knocking from the engine prolly a month ago and it got worse after a trip up to beaufort and back. so i check the fluids and the oil was low so i went and got some more oil and thought about it and came to the conclusion that you are suppose to change the oil every 3k miles or 3-4 months and it has been 7 months and probably more than 3k miles.

Do you guys think my car is going to be super messed up? I am changing the oil tomarrow morning before i run it, but im sure that was horrible for the engine. what is the worst and best possible outcomes from this situation?

dvrmstrng
07-09-2007, 08:53 PM
youll be ok

jmanpc
07-09-2007, 08:55 PM
i thought this was a bmxfeg thread lol

budahbuddy803
07-09-2007, 08:55 PM
is the knocking because of the lack of good oil?

budahbuddy803
07-09-2007, 09:27 PM
so no one knows about what lack of good oil will do? is knocking a symptom? once i change my oil will the knocking subside?

diminishedpower
07-09-2007, 09:28 PM
honestly get the knocking check theres a million things it could be in a car, dont have to fix it just go have a check up and find out what it is. Oil change will not just make the knock go away

jmanpc
07-09-2007, 09:28 PM

:laugh:

budahbuddy803
07-09-2007, 09:40 PM
honestly get the knocking check theres a million things it could be in a car, dont have to fix it just go have a check up and find out what it is. Oil change will not just make the knock go away

thanks man i will take it to the shop after changing my oil i have like 135k miles on it so honestly i hope to get a new car soon but imma get it checked out

diminishedpower
07-09-2007, 09:44 PM
good idea it can be anything from a lifter hitting to bearing going out on any mechanism its best to jsut have it looked at cause like i said. It doesnt cost much to just have a check up so you can know what it is.

pickup1
07-09-2007, 09:47 PM
i thought this was a bmxfeg thread lol

oh dam!:eek:

Forben70
07-09-2007, 09:49 PM
Actually guys, low oil levels can pretain and lead to engine knocking. I had a 94 explorer one time, I lifted up about 9" I took offroading, and beat the hell out of. I didn't drive it that much, but it had a slight oil leak. I decided to take it up town one night, and forgot to add oil to it, and noticed the motor starting knocking. I bought a few quarts at walmart, filled her up, and she was back to normal. It's just like your transmition, it will slip without fluid. Your motor has to have oil to run on. But like the guys mentioned above, being that old it could be anything from low oil-levels, knock sensor, to a blew motor. Just change the oil and see what that does. If that doesn't work, I'm guessing your scewed. Knock = new motor.

SRim23
07-09-2007, 09:52 PM
my first car was a 91 chevy corsica and it took me almost a year before i thought to change the oil. i know for sure i was way over 3000 miles because i used to drive all over the state bowling in tournaments so i def went over that mileage. It was fine.

car still running for my cousin to this day with no problems

tbasile1
07-09-2007, 09:57 PM
Is the engine knocking? Doesnt seem like a good sign, my dad has a 03 outback wagon with 94k all he does is change his oil every couple thousand miles, and get a tune every now and then, hes had zero problems, just brakes and tires and oil, just the usual

But if it knocking while going around turns, ball joints is the problem, thats the only knocking ive ever heard of

diminishedpower
07-09-2007, 10:00 PM
there is no sense people guessing what the knocking is, there is litterly at LEAST 20 parts that can cause knocking on a car. Just change oil and get a check up

DubbDesigns
07-09-2007, 10:11 PM
low oil level can cause knocking. My mom ran my 95 altima dry on oil and drove it like that for 3 miles knocking. Heard her coming down the road and was like WTF?
Went out checked and the engine was super hot, checked the oil and nothin on the dip stick. Put 4 quarts in it and knocking stopped. The 95 altima still runs pretty good and it has 260K+ miles on it. I just bought a 2001 altima 5spd. and it has 95K miles on it, and runs great and has been treated good, oil changed every few thousand miles tune up every 5K. Iam plan on keeping good care of it so hopefully it will last to 300K miles.
Always make sure your engine is well lubricated ;)

budahbuddy803
07-09-2007, 10:13 PM
well to make a little more sense. In park the car ticks lightly at idle speed, i place it into park and there is a slight knock that is at idle speed and will increase up to about 2k rpm and then go away and after that 2krpm there is that light ticking at the speed of the rpm like it gets quicker when i accelerate and slows down to idle speed. i dont know. the car runs fine no problems at all except this ticking and knocking. It is very annoying

so i always ride with my music all the way up to cover this annoying noise.

ARSkemp
07-09-2007, 11:12 PM
so i always ride with my music all the way up to cover this annoying noise.

problem solved! :D

DubbDesigns
07-09-2007, 11:22 PM
As stated a few times in this thread, the knocking can be from several things. Most likely it is related to the oil or lack of it.
I had a ticking/knocking noise at idle, thought it was my timing chain hittin the valve cover, but turned out to be a stuck rocker arm or something, fixed itself after a while.

inapontiac
07-10-2007, 12:42 AM

I'd add some Lucas Oil Additive.

alpinetypeR
07-10-2007, 08:33 AM
you most likely need a tune up as well....plugs,wires,dizzy, and a new rotor should help.

before you go spend crazy money on it if this isnt the problem ask your self is it worth fixing or buying a new car...i spent about 3 grand fixing my first car when i should have just bought a new one. LESSON LEARNED on my half.

Steven206Seattl
07-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Try a higher octane too. thats what fixed it for me

Silver
07-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Try a higher octane too. thats what fixed it for me

Be careful, you can cause a pre-detination.

I doubt your subby needs 89.

As stated above, knocking can be several things.

Best thing to do at this point is get it diagnosed by a professional. Or tear that bish apart!!

azbass
07-13-2007, 09:16 PM

dude stop being gay and dumb. use your ****ing head. change the oil. and if there is something wrong take it to a mechanic. no need to ask people on a forum to hold your hand

budahbuddy803
07-13-2007, 09:18 PM
dude stop being gay and dumb. use your ****ing head. change the oil. and if there is something wrong take it to a mechanic. no need to ask people on a forum to hold your hand

yeah you are right. i just figured that maybe someone on here might have known a lot about what oil does to an engine and what are the failures that come from no oil. i am sorry for being so gay and dumb and trying to get you to hold my hand

azbass
07-13-2007, 09:24 PM
**** straight.

Silver
07-13-2007, 10:02 PM
well i got a 1993 suby legacy wagon for my birthday in november so it has been about 7 months since i got it. I just started hearing knocking from the engine prolly a month ago and it got worse after a trip up to beaufort and back. so i check the fluids and the oil was low so i went and got some more oil and thought about it and came to the conclusion that you are suppose to change the oil every 3k miles or 3-4 months and it has been 7 months and probably more than 3k miles.

Do you guys think my car is going to be super messed up? I am changing the oil tomarrow morning before i run it, but im sure that was horrible for the engine. what is the worst and best possible outcomes from this situation?

After reading that I suggest you take your car to get the oil changed. I forgot to add that in my previous post.

You sound like a cadillac customer that praises that they should never change their oil in their car or think it don't need it. Why? Cause its a cadillac.

Your lucky you are young. Cause if you weren't I'd take you out back and beat your *** like I do to old ****s that drive cadillacs.

Here is a read for you.

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

AcidicDreams
07-14-2007, 02:46 AM
Well old engines make lots of noises... get it checked out by a good mechanic you can trust... I doubt it's rod knock if it goes away after 2k rpm but I'm no mechanic... however there is one thing you should do if you are curious and don't have money for a mechanic diagnosis right now...

idle the car and lift the hood, listen to the ticking, then lay on the ground and get your head under the car... on the oppisite side of the accessories (ie the alternator and such) if it's louder from underneath and away from the accessories it's likely going to be a more serious/terminal problem... if it's louder on top, or near the accessories it'll be cheaper/easier to fix...

either way get it looked at by a good mechanic... NOT the dealership and NOT some shady kid with a sign out front.... I once paid for 1k in engine and tranny work on an engine with rod knock (terminal) because the idiot didn't know how to diagnose properly...

15nissen
07-14-2007, 02:19 PM
put some thicker oil in it, that will quiet it down a bit. try the lucas oil additive. We run it win our race engines and have had great luck.

Silver
07-14-2007, 02:46 PM
Well old engines make lots of noises... get it checked out by a good mechanic you can trust... I doubt it's rod knock if it goes away after 2k rpm but I'm no mechanic... however there is one thing you should do if you are curious and don't have money for a mechanic diagnosis right now...

idle the car and lift the hood, listen to the ticking, then lay on the ground and get your head under the car... on the oppisite side of the accessories (ie the alternator and such) if it's louder from underneath and away from the accessories it's likely going to be a more serious/terminal problem... if it's louder on top, or near the accessories it'll be cheaper/easier to fix...

either way get it looked at by a good mechanic... NOT the dealership and NOT some shady kid with a sign out front.... I once paid for 1k in engine and tranny work on an engine with rod knock (terminal) because the idiot didn't know how to diagnose properly.

Then where the **** is he supposed to take it?

take it to a dealership. they fix it once.. didnt fix it? go up there again. get it fixed again (has to be same exact problem) FOR FREE. STILL didnt work? take it back up there and lemon law the *****.

I work for a dealership. AcidicDreams had a bad exp. and I'm sorry to hear that. The tech. probably tried to make it the cheapest route possible but ended up finding too the root problem. A rod knock just doesn't happen, something causes that.

Just don't rag on a dealership in general.

There are slim to nil GOOD 3rd party shops out there. A dealership has Certified Technicians.

Your choice.

Alpine CDA-9815
07-14-2007, 04:35 PM
Then where the **** is he supposed to take it?

take it to a dealership. they fix it once.. didnt fix it? go up there again. get it fixed again (has to be same exact problem) FOR FREE. STILL didnt work? take it back up there and lemon law the *****.

I work for a dealership. AcidicDreams had a bad exp. and I'm sorry to hear that. The tech. probably tried to make it the cheapest route possible but ended up finding too the root problem. A rod knock just doesn't happen, something causes that.

Just don't rag on a dealership in general.

There are slim to nil GOOD 3rd party shops out there. A dealership has Certified Technicians.

Your choice.
From my experences dealerships are retards.

First time I took the goat in was cuz of a grinding/rolling noise around the transmission. They told me it was just a the driveshaft hitting on the exhaust which I knew not to be true. It ended up being the bolts to my converter comming out, one was missing, one was in and one was half backed out.

Then I took it down another time cuz my alternator went out ($982 part so had to have it taken care of through warranty). While they were changing the alt they somehow managed to crack my fuel rails? Yeah who the hell knows but of course they would NOT pay for it or do anything about it. I had to pay to have the car towed to my buds shop and luckly I had a friend selling some FAST fuel rails and all the hoese for almost nothing.

I have not nor has anyone I've known had a good experence at a stealership. They seem to know little to nothing and are lazy bastards IMO.

Silver
07-15-2007, 06:51 PM
**** that *****, this is probably why our dealership is in the top 5% CSI in the nation.

If any of that happened where we are at, you would be fired on the spot.

Crazy..

Alpine CDA-9815
07-16-2007, 01:01 AM
**** that *****, this is probably why our dealership is in the top 5% CSI in the nation.

If any of that happened where we are at, you would be fired on the spot.

Crazy..
Yeah it's hard to find good help these days. Anymore it's not even worth arguing with the dealership about that kind of mistakes... you'll never win and if anything was to get done about it, it would take forever.

Silver
07-16-2007, 01:14 AM
yeah, been there done that, but half of the customers don't know **** (not saying you at all) and insist on somethings being wrong with their vehicle and insist they have a new 5k motor installed because they never changed their oil.

we say "no". this is why alot of dealers get a bad name.

but in all honesty, it seems like what you dealt with was a lazy *** tech that just doesnt give a *** anymore because GM is already cutting more and more pay everyday. Plus, he's probably out of the loop due to hybrids coming out and 32v type things coming out. I have already learned more that the avg. tech out there knows about programming, electrical, modules, ect.

Not just a simple carb tune, or a adj and let er go. Its crazy these days.

Every ****in thing on a vehicle has a module hehe.

BTW: Your GTO is ****.