PDA

View Full Version : Germanium Crossover

theputz
07-09-2007, 07:48 PM
I plan on running a 2 way active set up ( and by this i mean running the mids on their own L/R channels on a 4 channel amp and the tweets on the another L/R channels on the same amp) if i do it this way do i even need the crossovers? Doesnt the crossover in the deck replace that. Can you buy the speakes with out it? The crossover they come with is suppose to be bi amp capable. What does that mean?

THanks

DejaWiz
07-10-2007, 09:36 AM
Biamp means that you can run 2 channels of the amp into the MID IN of the passive xovers and 2 channels o the amp into the TWEETER IN of the passive crossovers. The passive xovers will still do the job of properly crossing the frequencies.

If you run a true active setup (either from an active capable HU or an aftermarket active xover, it will take care of crossing the frequencies before the amplifier does it's job.

BIAMPING:
HU RCA's -> AMP INPUTS
CHANNELS 1 and 2 OUT -> PASSIVE XOVER TWEETER IN
CHANNEL 3 and 4 OUT -> PASSIVE XOVER MID IN
PASSIVE XOVER MID OUT -> MID
PASSIVE XOVER TWEETER OUT -> TWEETER

ACTIVE:
HU RCA's -> ACTIVE XO (if needed)
ACTIVE XO (or HU) RCA's -> AMP INPUTS
CHANNELS 1 and 2 OUT -> TWEETERS (or mids, depending on the wiring)
CHANNELS 3 and 4 OUT -> MIDS (or tweeters, depending on the wiring)

theputz
07-10-2007, 10:36 AM
what would be the advantage of bi amping?

DejaWiz
07-10-2007, 10:39 AM
what would be the advantage of bi amping?

One advantage is it gives you control over how much power the pairs of mids and tweeters receive individually.

theputz
07-10-2007, 05:31 PM
buy an active setup gives your crossover control therefore more superior set up correct?

DejaWiz
07-10-2007, 06:16 PM
buy an active setup gives your crossover control therefore more superior set up correct?

Not necessarily. Those Germanium crossovers are engineered to match up with those mids and tweeters to the T.

However an active setup will allow you to change things like the crossover points which might help you tune and adjust to your specific preferences.

theputz
07-10-2007, 10:51 PM
specific prefrences and enviroment. They may be engineered to the t but all the engineering in the world wont tell you what enclosure they will end up in.

DejaWiz
07-10-2007, 10:55 PM
And you are absolutely correct in that regard.