PDA

View Full Version : Help: Boston mids blown?

happybrandon
07-06-2007, 04:07 PM
When I started my car this morning I noticed that my front door Boston pro60's were only playing through the tweeters. They have been in my car for 6 months and worked great until this morning. Could I have blown both mids at once without pushing them?

I swapped channels on my amp with front and rear and I still only get tweeters - but the subs work on both channels so it doesn't seem to be the amp or head unit.

Does anyone have any experience with an issue like this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Also if it helps I have:
Alpine CDA-9856 HU -> Rockford 450.4 amp -> Boston pro60's

shortyg83
07-06-2007, 04:17 PM
I would check the crossovers make sure there are no problems there but it is unlikly they both went at the same time

blackbonnie
07-06-2007, 04:32 PM
x2, i find that highly unlikely, even though it could happen, its unlikely

jluv
07-06-2007, 05:21 PM
I would check the crossovers make sure there are no problems there but it is unlikly they both went at the same time

It's very unlikely that both mids OR both crossovers would kick the bucket at the same time. Something else is up. Wierd.

happybrandon
07-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the ideas-

I checked my crossover wiring and everything seems to be fine. So as a process of elimination I tried the following:

I used an mp3 player directly into the amp with rca's to bypass the headunit and got the same results - so it's not the headunit.

Next I hooked up another older amp that I know works and got the same results - so it's not the amp.

Lastly I hooked up the mids directly to the lead from the amp bypassing the crossovers and got absolutely nothing - so it's not the crossovers.

Is there any other thing I could try other than to accept that they both mysteriously blew overnight???

Also I bought them off an eBay seller so warrantying them is out of the question I think.... Bummer.

happybrandon
07-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Okay, I believe they are gone. So do you think the crossovers and tweeters are worth hanging onto and using or should I just get a whole new component set?

XHiFiX
07-07-2007, 05:26 PM
Did you remove the woofer from the door? Maybe it's just a loose or disconnected wire at the speaker terminals. And if you have a DMM check the speaker for continuity to see if it's actually blown,

happybrandon
07-07-2007, 06:39 PM
Did you remove the woofer from the door? Maybe it's just a loose or disconnected wire at the speaker terminals. And if you have a DMM check the speaker for continuity to see if it's actually blown,

Okay I am a bonehead- albeit a happy one.:laugh:

I was pulling the speakers out to swap out an old set of comps when I noticed I had two severed woofer wires back inside each door. I guess I must have just rolled down my windows for the first time the other day and they were cut or something. Anyway, I re-routed the wires and they are back to performing awesome. Thanks for the help.:)

jluv
07-07-2007, 08:19 PM
Okay I am a bonehead- albeit a happy one.:laugh:

I was pulling the speakers out to swap out an old set of comps when I noticed I had two severed woofer wires back inside each door. I guess I must have just rolled down my windows for the first time the other day and they were cut or something. Anyway, I re-routed the wires and they are back to performing awesome. Thanks for the help.:)

LOL! I have actually done that before too. I should have remembered and suggested that as a possibility. D'oh! Glad you figured it out and have them working again.