PDA

View Full Version : How are the Kicker 3ways?

Mikey122687
07-06-2007, 02:00 AM
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14838

Would you guys even recommend that one for a 6x9?

tbasile1
07-06-2007, 10:06 AM
Theres better, how much do you want to spend?

for 20 bucks more, these are better:

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14524

Also check out, MB Quart and Infinity

DejaWiz
07-06-2007, 11:43 AM
Oh yeah, those REV's by far.

Mikey122687
07-07-2007, 01:13 AM
Rev?

tbasile1
07-07-2007, 09:53 AM
REV:

that is the series of those Pioneer speakers i recommended above

Mikey122687
07-08-2007, 10:41 PM
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15369

Hows that compare to the REV.

Also what should i look for when comparing? I know to look for the wattages and sensitivies. What else?

DejaWiz
07-09-2007, 12:15 AM
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=15369

Hows that compare to the REV.

Also what should i look for when comparing? I know to look for the wattages and sensitivies. What else?

The REVs will likely have an advantage in the lower end than those Kappas.

Either the TS-D901P (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14550) (Premier) or the TS-D691R (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=14524) (standard). Same speaker, different naming convention.

Pickzilla
07-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Kappas sound like ***... take it from someone who has owned em. Also the plastic housing tends to create an annoying vibration when run hard. I would avoid infinity.

I gave up now on running a 6x9 rear fill. I find my XXX is very happy venting through the 6x9 holes into the cabin, and the CDT eurosports dont need any help in the midbass area anyway. Never had a 6 inch mid shake my rear view mirror before the CDTs.

DejaWiz
07-09-2007, 12:25 AM
I gave up now on running a 6x9 rear fill. I find my (sub) is very happy venting through the 6x9 holes into the cabin

Good choice! I agree on no rear fill altogether.

tbasile1
07-09-2007, 12:28 AM
no rears FTW lol

but i think Infinity is pretty decent, especially at the price you can get there stuff online!

Mikey122687
07-09-2007, 01:55 AM
Good choice! I agree on no rear fill altogether.

no rears FTW lol

but i think Infinity is pretty decent, especially at the price you can get there stuff online!

So you guys are saying that just replace the 2 rear 6x9 with some good subs?

DejaWiz
07-09-2007, 10:12 AM
So you guys are saying that just replace the 2 rear 6x9 with some good subs?

Depends on the rest of your system. If you already have a strong front stage, then you can forego the rear fill and run a sub stage. Doesn't have to be wild, just something that'll accurately reproduce frequencies in the 20-80Hz range.

This can be done fairly inexpensively, especially if you start out by buying used products right here on the forums.

Can you give us the details to the rest of your system and what your budget would be if you do decide to go with fronts and sub(s) only?

tbasile1
07-09-2007, 11:11 AM
yes like Deja said, if you have a good frontstage(amped comp set) and subs, a rear fill is useless, the subs act as a fill and the rears wont make a difference

Mikey122687
07-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Depends on the rest of your system. If you already have a strong front stage, then you can forego the rear fill and run a sub stage. Doesn't have to be wild, just something that'll accurately reproduce frequencies in the 20-80Hz range.

This can be done fairly inexpensively, especially if you start out by buying used products right here on the forums.

Can you give us the details to the rest of your system and what your budget would be if you do decide to go with fronts and sub(s) only?

yes like Deja said, if you have a good frontstage(amped comp set) and subs, a rear fill is useless, the subs act as a fill and the rears wont make a difference

I don't have anything yet. I'm still researching before I buy. That is why I came here to ask the experts :rolleyes:

Anyway. For the fronts. I'll probably go for the Pionneer REV like you suggested or this MQ Quart DTF 169 (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=16680). As for the deck I really like this Kenwood DPX302 (http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=18019). For the Subs I'm debating on the Kicker L7 and JLW6 (Dual 12"). Amp will be Hifonics 1606D or Cadence TXA-1000D (http://www.cadencestore.com/ProductCart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=125&idproduct=380) I'm also going to get another 4-way Amps to power the decks and speakers, the reason that i'm not getting 2-way is because i want to be future proof just incase i need to add the rear speakers.

My budget is around $2000, just to let you know. :naughty:

Also This is for a Toyota Camry 06

tbasile1
07-09-2007, 01:11 PM
since you have 6x9s in the front, my recommendation is to make a baffle and fit 6.5 comps in there, get a 2ch amp or even a 4 ch for the comps and forget about the rears, 6.5s will sound better, and its not hard to make a baffle, if you dont want to attempt it you can buy them pre-fab

With the subs that you picked out, rears will be a waste, dont even bother with em

DejaWiz
07-09-2007, 01:28 PM
Rainbow Germaniums - $500
Alpine PDX-4.150 to biamp with - $500

or Powerline CMX - $400ish
and a 2x200-300w rms amp - $150-400 maybe?

So that leaves about $1000-1400 for HU, sub, sub amp, and install accessories. Do-able?

tbasile1
07-09-2007, 04:25 PM
^^x2!

Mikey122687
07-10-2007, 01:10 PM

So that leaves about $1000-1400 for HU, sub, sub amp, and install accessories. Do-able?

Do you have a link to it? I googled it and nothing comes up for the Rainbow Germaniums.

DejaWiz
07-10-2007, 01:12 PM
www.rainbow-audio.de

PM PremierAudio, 3.5Max6Spd, and/or 6spdcoupe here on the forums for their pricing. All are authorized Rainbow dealers and great guys to talk/do business with.

mapolley07
07-10-2007, 01:20 PM
Mikey, you already have 6.5" speakers up front so you don't need to make baffles.

also, deaden your doors to get the most out of those rainbows. there is a sticky in this section called "Proper Door Sound Deadening and You"

Mikey122687
07-10-2007, 01:34 PM
Mikey, you already have 6.5" speakers up front so you don't need to make baffles.

also, deaden your doors to get the most out of those rainbows. there is a sticky in this section called "Proper Door Sound Deadening and You"

Location Size Fit
Dash Speaker 3 1/2
Rear Deck/Back Seat Speaker 6 x 9
Front Door Speaker 6 x 9

Are you sure i have 6.5?

mapolley07
07-10-2007, 01:50 PM
thats weird because crutchfield listed 6.5 in the front doors and 6x9 rear deck. They usually are right too. Only way to find out it to yank off a door panel and see

tbasile1
07-10-2007, 02:43 PM
Im pretty sure his Camry has 6x9s, my mom was looking at one and it had 6x9s in the front

Mikey122687
07-10-2007, 03:56 PM

Anyway, you would recommend a $500 Rainbow Germaniums Speaker?

Thats seem a bit too extreme don't you think?

DejaWiz
07-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Anyway, you would recommend a $500 Rainbow Germaniums Speaker?

Thats seem a bit too extreme don't you think?

Well, I could have recommended their Reference CS 260.30's, but those would run you about $6600. :laugh:

If you think $500 for a set of comps is a lot, wait until you hear them. Or go with the Pioneer Premier TS-C720PRS set. There are a few online shops with very limited stock right now. Run you about $270 and would love 2x100-150W rms.

tbasile1
07-10-2007, 05:04 PM
Focal Polyglass comps are $240 on sonicelectronix

Mikey122687
07-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Isn't Comp set up = alot better than regular 2/3 ways? But harder to install? and more pricy?

Mikey122687
07-12-2007, 03:56 PM
anyone? :crap:

DejaWiz
07-12-2007, 04:45 PM
More pricey.....maybe, depending on what you get.

Harder to install....could be, depending on what your car came with from the factory.

Better....usually, when installed and tuned correctly.

Mikey122687
07-12-2007, 07:45 PM
More pricey.....maybe, depending on what you get.

Harder to install....could be, depending on what your car came with from the factory.

Better....usually, when installed and tuned correctly.

I'm guessing for a 06 Camry. I need to drill additional holes for the tweeter?

Pickzilla
07-14-2007, 11:02 AM

So that leaves Do-able?

Thats why I love DejaWiz... just makes **** good sense.

x2 on the germaniums! GREAT comps. I think one of my all time favorite for price range and sound. I prolly would have gone with germs or profis had I not gotten my CDTs ES 620s for $399. But I really am delighted by the Eurosports.

Yes you will prolly have to drill tweet holes, that or go with coaxials.

Another option is to go biaxial with CDT comps... (www.cdtaudio.com) you can get a set of Eurosports or HDs for less than the germaniums, and trust me, they sound REALLY good.

In fact, they sounded soo good, I felt like running my rear fill 6x9s was "contaminating" the beatuiful sound from the ES's so I took em out. Best thing I have done... cause now I get much better bass venting into the cabin through the 6x9 holes, and the CDTs have a huge presence. They surround me.

Drilling tweet holes is really quite simple, you just need a hole-saw kit... measure, premark, drill. Just be careful where you drill and that you'll have the clearance you need at that spot.

Good rule is to keep the tweet close to the mid for best imaging.

Plus you can always add an image tweeter for dirt cheap to put in the sail, A-Pillar, or dash. Thay REALLY expands your soundstage.

At any rate, with the quality of comps we are talking about here, there is no need to run rear fill. And the empty speaker holes in the rear deck actually do vent alot of bass into the cabin.

SO, that leaves us with ... about $1000-1400 for HU, sub, sub amp, and install accessories.

I have a mint PG Titanium elite 800.1 which puts out 1000 watts into 2 ohms I would part with for $200. http://www.phoenixgold.com/2004/titaniumamps.html. PM me if interested. Its a great amp.

CrazedCat
07-14-2007, 11:38 AM

Great combo! And do your homework and you can have this set-up for under $850 ;)

geocab
07-14-2007, 08:56 PM
I have a question about running a rear fill for those of us who with an A/V HU: Do you still consider it unncessary? I'm definitely new to car audio so I'm asking purely for knowledge. My main concern is listening to a 5.1 source such as a DVD. I was thinking of putting comps in the rear so the tweeter placement could be aimed to help localize the sound of the rear channels. Is thinking along these lines not apply to a car environment?

I'm still trying to decide on what comps to use in the front of my car, and I wasn't sure what would go with them in the rear, especially if I spent the $$ on Rainbow Germaniums or Focal 165K2Ps. I don't think I can afford two sets of these along with the proper amps for both the front and rears.

DejaWiz
07-14-2007, 09:02 PM
For true 5.1 sourcing in a vehicle, I'd focus on the Front Left and Right speakers as well as the sub stage. Then just get some cheaper (but decent) full range coaxials for the Rear Left and Right and the Front Center.

AcidicDreams
07-15-2007, 08:46 AM
ok two things...

A) don't attempt a 3way install as a newbie.... I wouldn't even try myself... too many imaging problems and hard to do custom install...

B) There is a reason everyone is so against rear fill, it's because stereo is TWO CHANNEL. Left and right. However 5.1 is a different animal all together.

5.1 channels in order of importance
Center channel - All on screen speech and noise comes from this channel. By far the most important in 5.1 setups

Front Channels - They handle music and just off screen stuff. Since you will be listening to music you should pay lots of attention here too...

Rear channels - still almost and ignore. Even coaxials would work since they are just filling in for ambiance...

However do you really want to spend the time and energy to be able to enjoy the full movie experience in a car???? Personally I'd save the effort, do a 2 channel install that rock and spend the time/money/effort of 5.1 for the home stereo....

DejaWiz
07-15-2007, 01:11 PM
ok two things...

A) don't attempt a 3way install as a newbie.... I wouldn't even try myself... too many imaging problems and hard to do custom install...

B) There is a reason everyone is so against rear fill, it's because stereo is TWO CHANNEL. Left and right. However 5.1 is a different animal all together.

5.1 channels in order of importance
Center channel - All on screen speech and noise comes from this channel. By far the most important in 5.1 setups

Front Channels - They handle music and just off screen stuff. Since you will be listening to music you should pay lots of attention here too...

Rear channels - still almost and ignore. Even coaxials would work since they are just filling in for ambiance...

However do you really want to spend the time and energy to be able to enjoy the full movie experience in a car???? Personally I'd save the effort, do a 2 channel install that rock and spend the time/money/effort of 5.1 for the home stereo....

Center channel would be most important in a home theater, but not in a car since listener proximity is much closer. And I'm sure that 98% of the time music would be playing anyway (except maybe a movie for the little ones in the back), so front r+l would be of more importance.

Not to mention the acoustics in the typical automobile are lousy, which makes imaging a 5.1 setup a royal pain and, more often than not, a complete waste of time and money. I agree with you on fronts only with a sub stage.

AcidicDreams
07-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Center channel would be most important in a home theater, but not in a car since listener proximity is much closer. And I'm sure that 98% of the time music would be playing anyway (except maybe a movie for the little ones in the back), so front r+l would be of more importance.

Not to mention the acoustics in the typical automobile are lousy, which makes imaging a 5.1 setup a royal pain and, more often than not, a complete waste of time and money. I agree with you on fronts only with a sub stage.

That was really my point. Trying to do a proper 5.1 setup would be a PITA... You'd have to saw and fiberglass the dash like crazy.... and then you'd be too close to it. etc etc etc.... It'd be better to just watch the movies in stereo and just concentrate on L+R+SUB...

Mikey122687
07-15-2007, 09:44 PM
I'd rather not do a 5.1 in a car. Its pointless to me anyway, since I spent about 1 hour driving a day max. I think i'll just go to a shop and buy a package or something. I don't want to do touch the electrical stuff or wiring or anything like that, its too risky for me. Also I think i'll go for the coaxials since the comps require drilling holes and I don't want to ruin my car.

Thanks for all the infos everyone :)

geocab
07-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Sorry, Mikey, I kind of hijacked your thread with the 5.1 talk. I figured since the guys were talking about rear fill being not so important I wanted to get their opinions on if it were the same if you wanted to do a 5.1 in the car.

For me, I go on a few long distance driving trips a year so having movies in the car isn't such a bad idea. However, it would be more for my passenger's enjoyment than mine, unless I'm not the one driving.

DejaWiz
07-16-2007, 01:24 AM
That was really my point. Trying to do a proper 5.1 setup would be a PITA... You'd have to saw and fiberglass the dash like crazy.... and then you'd be too close to it. etc etc etc.... It'd be better to just watch the movies in stereo and just concentrate on L+R+SUB...

I knew exactly what you meant, bud. I was just elaborating. ;)