PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 component recommendation $350 to spend

theputz
07-05-2007, 02:31 PM
In the designing process of my systme for my new car. I want a wicked set of 6.5 components up front as they will be the only speakers in the car (other than subs in trunk). I will be running a 3 way active crossover setup (i think thats what its called) And they will be powered by a 4 channel amp. I want some that deliver a rich full mid bass. any suggestions?

HCCA
07-05-2007, 02:47 PM
The same ones I always recommend...
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1078
They used to be everywhere for $265, but I can't find them at that price right now.

jacka
07-05-2007, 02:53 PM
Rainbow CMX Kicks

Eugenics
07-05-2007, 03:06 PM
You can't get a good set for less than 650

spike_e
07-05-2007, 03:07 PM
i just bought the cdt hd-62 and im pretty happy with them

WhoSayWho?
07-05-2007, 03:09 PM

Werd. If you think you can, you just don't know what real HI FI sounds like.

Eugenics
07-05-2007, 03:12 PM

i spent two grand on my FIRST SET of speakers. everyone should do the same. you say you dont have the cash right now? save the money you'd use to buy the speakers for your first 5 cars and then spend it on the 6th. trust me on this one guys, trust me.

Eugenics
07-05-2007, 03:13 PM

i spent two grand on my FIRST SET of speakers. everyone should do the same. you say you dont have the cash right now? save the money you'd use to buy the speakers for your first 5 cars and then spend it on the 6th. trust me on this one guys, trust me.

theputz
07-05-2007, 03:36 PM

I am not big of an audiophile. Esecially since iwll only be in my car 2 hours a week.

dirthog
07-05-2007, 03:50 PM
For Sale: Polk Audio sr6500 for $350 shipped.

Great set of speakers that I was using for rear fill but decided to take them out. They are in great condition.

Send me a private messese if youre interested and Ill send you picks.

Apocalypse boy
07-05-2007, 03:55 PM

hahahahaha:laugh:

jluv
07-05-2007, 04:45 PM

Ha! That's BS.

I second the recommendation for the Boston Pro 60s.

WhoSayWho?
07-05-2007, 05:30 PM
Ha! That's BS.

It is definitely NOT BS. If you don't believe us, you should ask the man.

jluv
07-05-2007, 05:48 PM
It is definitely NOT BS. If you don't believe us, you should ask the man.

Ah. I sense sarcasm. Apparently I missed something.

WhoSayWho?
07-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Ah. I sense sarcasm. Apparently I missed something.

Ah, read and learn:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3146038#post3146038

Eugenics
07-05-2007, 06:09 PM
oh, i am about to absorb some gospel once again *amen*

CaliforniabOY5
07-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Ha! That's BS.

you just dont get it :greedy:

You dont know what hifi sounds like if you think CDT is good. I've listend to their flagship components and they are garbage. after 17 years of listening to the best, i know. . . .

jluv
07-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Dangit! Does this mean I have to sell my trailer and pimp out my sister just to buy a set of components that won't sound like garbage?

The human ear can only discern so much. Personally, I believe that with car audio sq, there is a point of diminishing returns, and it comes way before the several thousand dollar range.

But to each his/her own. If you have the skrilla to throw at it and it's something you want to do, why not?

Sure, a $3,000 set may sound better than a $500 set, but not $2,500 better! That's just my opinion.

DejaWiz
07-05-2007, 07:13 PM
I'd jump all over those Polk SR's posted earlier.

theputz
07-05-2007, 08:03 PM
any one using rainbow up6's? I have never heard of rainbow before. DO they have a nice mid bass?

Eugenics
07-05-2007, 08:07 PM
Dangit! Does this mean I have to sell my trailer and pimp out my sister just to buy a set of components that won't sound like garbage?

The human ear can only discern so much. Personally, I believe that with car audio sq, there is a point of diminishing returns, and it comes way before the several thousand dollar range.

But to each his/her own. If you have the skrilla to throw at it and it's something you want to do, why not?

Sure, a $3,000 set may sound better than a $500 set, but not $2,500 better! That's just my opinion.

Hah!

gsr22
07-05-2007, 08:46 PM
oops

gsr22
07-05-2007, 08:48 PM
For Sale: Polk Audio sr6500 for $350 shipped.

Great set of speakers that I was using for rear fill but decided to take them out. They are in great condition.

Send me a private messese if youre interested and Ill send you picks.

good deal those would get my vote or some slc265 kicks

konechiwa
07-05-2007, 08:54 PM
you just dont get it :greedy:

You dont know what hifi sounds like if you think CDT is good. I've listend to their flagship components and they are garbage. after 17 years of listening to the best, i know. . . .

:laugh:

Don't listen to the people who tell you you need 10238120938 dollar speakers.

I recommend to you:

Pioneer PRS
Rainbow Germaniums

yes yes i do. Both are good.

Hoodlum007
07-05-2007, 09:53 PM
You have to only spend $300 buck to get either of these, both are :yumyum:

http://woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_id=5091

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1236

The 720PRS Premiers are OK but the 2 listed above are much better IMO.

HCCA
07-06-2007, 03:14 AM

I agree to the max!! With engine noise, road noise, and diminishing returns, you are not going to be able to justify $2500 worth of difference between comp sets!

You might be able to tell a difference with critical listening skills and top notch components, but for the average listener...there is little difference.

genxx
07-06-2007, 06:50 AM
The Polk SR listed are very good.
Many listed already:
Pioneer PRS, CDT, Rainbow Germs, PG Ti Elite(Morel) on sale at woofersect.com.

3-way. I think you mean a 2 way front + sub. If you mean 3 way front + sub then you are going to need some more recommendations.

If you go 3-way front it would easist to do IMO with the CDT or Rainbow's. You can add a HD-3 or HD-4 with CDT. Rainbow you can the 4" later to also.

You have a gotten some good advice now you just have to make a decision. Do a search and see what people have said about the ones listed if not sure.

theputz
07-06-2007, 12:53 PM
the rainbows say they need a minium amplifer power of 75 watts/ch i amp i am looking at is 55 watts/ch at 14.4 will this be ok or do i need to reconsider?

theputz
07-06-2007, 12:55 PM
how are the rainbows for bass? How come no one suggested JL components?

DejaWiz
07-06-2007, 12:59 PM
the rainbows say they need a minium amplifer power of 75 watts/ch i amp i am looking at is 55 watts/ch at 14.4 will this be ok or do i need to reconsider?

It'd be good to get you started. They'll really shine off about 120-200W rms per channel, though.

how are the rainbows for bass? How come no one suggested JL components?

They'll be fine for bass, when installed properly.

jluv
07-06-2007, 01:38 PM
How come no one suggested JL components?

Which line?

I've had the TRs and XRs, and currently still have the XRs for rear fill. They are okay, but not amazing, and they can be had for a lot less than $350. I don't have any real experience with the ZRs, and don't even know how they are priced.

puka_bum
07-06-2007, 01:46 PM
Are the focals any good? Or would the Boston Acoustics be a better pick overall?

tbasile1
07-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Focals :yumyum:

Focals are great speakers, and sound amazing!!!!!!!

jluv
07-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Are the focals any good? Or would the Boston Acoustics be a better pick overall?

I'm running my Boston Pros active, with about 225 watts each to the mids and 40 watts each to the tweets. They sound incredible. They actually sounded really, really good with the passive crossovers, too. They do well all the way down to 63 hz for me and the tweets are crisp and loud without being harsh. The mids have plenty (well "plenty" is relative, but it's definitely not lacking) of midbass punch, and have a definite edge to them when playing electric guitar, violin, sax, trumpets, etc, that I noticed seemed to be missing on some other "sq" vehicles I have listened to back to back with the same tracks. They come with all kinds of painted steel adapter plates for various stock openings, and the tweeter can be mounted separately or on axis with the mid, which I prefer. The only downside I found to them is the "security screws" they come with are weak/soft and the heads stripped easily. I ditched them and mounted them with regular screws.

I'm sure a lot of my satisfaction comes from extensive tuning and deadening in my ride, but that's something anyone should do first if they are serious enough about car audio to spend several hundred bucks on comps. So maybe a lot of different comps would sound okay with the same treatment, but I like the Bostons in that price range because they can take a lot of power, get loud, and relatively low, and sound clean and clear all the while. I doubt you would be disappointed if you went with them.

Eugenics
07-06-2007, 03:28 PM
i would get the boston Pro's personally.

Flipx99
07-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Don't listen to George if you buy the Boston Pros though.

WhoSayWho?
07-06-2007, 03:33 PM
i would get the boston Pro's personally.

The great thing about Boston Pro's is that if you look hard enough you can find them for more than $600, which means they will be :yumyum:

Flipx99
07-06-2007, 03:52 PM
The great thing about Boston Pro's is that if you look hard enough you can find them for more than $600, which means they will be :yumyum:

c'mon now....I hope HH didn't get to you.

You said it best when comparing the car dealerships.

--------------------------------

$350 is a pretty dividing line. A little more and you can get the Germaniums. A little less, you can get the prs-720 and a pack of deadener.

WhoSayWho?
07-06-2007, 04:09 PM
c'mon now....I hope HH didn't get to you.

You said it best when comparing the car dealerships.

--------------------------------

$350 is a pretty dividing line. A little more and you can get the Germaniums. A little less, you can get the prs-720 and a pack of deadener.

Nah, I just think it's funny. Well, maybe not that funny.

theputz
07-06-2007, 07:21 PM
i have it narrowed done to the germaniums or cdt es650. What would you chose and why? cdt's look ugly! Its ok though cause you wont really see them

Hoodlum007
07-07-2007, 12:01 AM
i really love the way the CDT's sound, i have the CL but 2 of my buddies have the ES series and the sound is unreal. Very clean and hard midbass, the mids are very detailed and defined, the tweeters are silky smooth. The power handling is very impressive as well, i would say they can take 150 to 200 watts rms with no problem.

Flipx99
07-07-2007, 02:53 AM
i have it narrowed done to the germaniums or cdt es650. What would you chose and why? cdt's look ugly! Its ok though cause you wont really see them

Not a bog fan of the effort the use to powdercoat the basket. Rather that be spent on better things.

puka_bum
07-07-2007, 09:57 AM
In my old car I had in Washington, I had the Polk db comp. set with the MA audio HK-598(100rms x 4) In the rear I had the polk db 3 way 6x9's. Overall, I felt like it was to much highs and not any mid bass. I will more then likley get the Boston Pro's. Thank about that one.

puka_bum
07-07-2007, 09:57 AM
In my old car I had in Washington, I had the Polk db comp. set with the MA audio HK-598(100rms x 4) In the rear I had the polk db 3 way 6x9's. Overall, I felt like it was to much highs and not any mid bass. I will more then likley get the Boston Pro's. Thank about that one.

DejaWiz
07-07-2007, 10:05 AM

Germaniums. For The MF'ing Win.

:naughty: :yumyum: :naughty: :laugh:

tbasile1
07-07-2007, 10:09 AM
Germaniums. For The MF'ing Win.

:naughty: :yumyum: :naughty: :laugh:

x2!!!!
:iagree: :hapydanc:

i thought it was between Boston and CDT, wow i guess i cant read