PDA

View Full Version : Newbie in Need of Suggestions for first Speaker replacements..

jameisonstyle
07-03-2007, 06:50 PM
So I'm getting my paycheck next week and I'm finally going to be able to update my speaker system.. I was wondering what I should get for four speakers around the ballpark of $300 with installation. 3-way component speakers would be nice, i dont really know what that means but i hear the sound quality is better. and i dont think i need an amp because the people i ask at my local stores say that i dont NEED one? i have a 98 jeep grand cherokee which needs 6.5" speakers. i want a reasonable system that sounds nice and i will eventually be getting 1 10" sub by the end of the summer. so i would like a good combo. and i was also wondering if i didn't get a new deck and just got one of those DIRECT ipod connectors not the ones that plug in, i was wondering if those were any good as well..

HELP IS APPRECIATED...

patrick1202
07-03-2007, 07:01 PM
you'll prolly be dissapointed if you don't get an amp for them most local shop workers are stupid MOST not all but they'll do stuff just so you buy there stuff but yes i deff would get an amp why brand speakers are thinking about getting

95BlackGA
07-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Edit : Reading > Me...

jameisonstyle
07-03-2007, 07:07 PM
well i dont want my system to cost BANK.. but im thinking about alpine, jl, or pioneer.. i dont know much about speakers so whatever is supposed to be a good bang for the buck is great.. im looking for speakers that are priced roughly around 100-125 per pair.. my price range is from 250-400MAX... with installation... but im gonna get subs later on with an amp, i dunno if that changes anything though. and does anyone know anything about the direct connect ipod things?

jameisonstyle
07-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Edit : Reading > Me...

i am reading.. but instead of reading EVERYTHING, second opinions are nice.. thats why we have these message boards and reviews right? ballpark opinion is one thing, but of coarse im reading.. now your opinion please? or else that was a really pointless reply because a senior member like you needs something better to do then. now back to my research...

95BlackGA
07-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Can get 2 sets of These http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8912_MB+Quart+DSG+216.html but you'll need to amp them.

A good amp for them would be, http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7079_Crunch+PZi+100.4.html It will only put out about 70-80WRMS real numbers.

shortyg83
07-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Well I am reviewing hifonics comps right now if you wait till tommorow Ill let you know how they are because they are cheap enough that you should be able to afford an amp also.

95BlackGA
07-03-2007, 07:11 PM
i am reading.. but instead of reading EVERYTHING, second opinions are nice.. thats why we have these message boards and reviews right? ballpark opinion is one thing, but of coarse im reading.. now your opinion please? or else that was a really pointless reply because a senior member like you needs something better to do then. now back to my research...

No, I edited a statement that I made. I asked what vehicle and/or size of speakers you would need. I had then completely read your topic statement, and I edited my post.

jameisonstyle
07-03-2007, 07:13 PM
oh thanks then lol....

patrick1202
07-03-2007, 07:15 PM
i bought my amp for 40 dollars its not that bad

jameisonstyle
07-03-2007, 07:15 PM
i was wondering if you knew anything about phoenix gold speakers because my friend has their octane 6zr's or something rather.. and IMO they are the best subs i hear at my preppy school, we have several JL and audiobahn setups.. i really wanted to eventually line my whole car with either alpine, or phoenix gold.. opinion?

95BlackGA
07-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Reasoning for wanting Alpine and/or Pheonix Gold?

jameisonstyle
07-03-2007, 07:23 PM
i've personally heard the sound quality of phoenix gold SUBS atleast.. and as i said, i stand by my opinion of them and EXTREMELY like them. furthermore, i like to be different because not many people have phoenix gold and i dont want to sacrifice sound quality for wanting to be different.. and i hear type R subs are really nice and i know they have a speaker line that is also type R.. and alpine has an extremely good reputation where i live although ive never personally heard their systems.. but depending on price and stuff im willing to stick or change my preferences.

patrick1202
07-03-2007, 07:24 PM
there not the best sorry audiobahn ***** and jl is usually overpriced phoenix gold is pretty good and alpine is pretty good i have an alpine amp

jameisonstyle
07-03-2007, 07:30 PM
yeah JL is overpriced which is why im trying to stay away.. and since you say audiobahn ***** is prolly why i think phoenix gold is better lol. i really like the octane zr's my friend has 2 12's but im going for a more subtle approach because they sound REALLY loud in his jeep which is exactly like mine.. im thinking about getting just one 10 or 12 of the same sub.. but im hesitant about their speaker systems because i cant dig up anything on them. and i dont know anything about mb quarts either which is the brand you offered..

jameisonstyle
07-03-2007, 07:33 PM
this may sound really newb but what if i got an octane zr 12" with the phoenix gold R.09:5 channel amp.. im not sure what channels mean and such because i used to know how 2 and 4 ohms worked and stuff but that was in high school... but it says it peaks at 900 watts, do you think i can power 4 speakers and 1 sub with that? all phoenix gold?

tbasile1
07-03-2007, 07:48 PM
x2 on those MB Quarts!!

Or you could forget the rears, do a nice comp set up front amped

Because if you plan on getting subs in the future, rear speakers are a waste of time, the subs will drown them out, also you dont sit in the rear so you wouldnt really notice them anyways with subs

So heres my advice, if you plan on subs, screw the rears and get a nice set up front amped

Or If you dont plan on getting subs, than we'll just stick to your original question

So whats the plan??

jameisonstyle
07-03-2007, 08:27 PM
well i blew all four of my speakers.. and i did want to be able to turn the subs off whenever i wanted because i dont like to hear them ALL the time... so right now im just sticking to a new speaker only system.. but i just dont know what kinda steup i need.. to be honest, trying to rethink how the ohms, bridges, and stuff works is a real pain. but i can tell you that i do want alpines or phoenix gold all the way around my car.. but if there is an exception either price, or performance wise i need to know... and i need to know if i can get just one amp for all four speakers.. i dont need a CRAZY system like you guys prolly have.. just an aboeve average, price wise at the least.

mapolley07
07-03-2007, 10:50 PM
Well I have some Phoenix Gold RSD comps on the way so I will let you know what I think of them when I get them installed. They cost me $129 shipped from an authorized dealer (onlinecarstereo.com). I currently have the Phoenix Gold Octane-R 69.0 6x9s as rear fill and they sound clean. i paid $54 shipped for the rears from partsexpress.com. I am running them off of a Profile AP1040 4ch amp that I got for $100 shipped from millionbuy.com's ebay store. That Crunch amp earlier would also9 be a good choice. Bought all my wiring from knukonceptz.com and then a few accessories from wal-mart.

As far as learning wiring, etc. check out Basic Car Audio Electronics (http://www.bcae1.com/)

I also have a cutoff for my subs so I don't use them all the time, and even though I have subs, the rear fill is still handy for when the subs are off or when i have rear passengers, and for a few 4 channel CD's I have. It is all preference though.

Anyway to do the cutoff for the subs put a toggle switch inline on the remote wire to the amp. $3 at wal-mart for the switch.

Also, you definitely will want an aftermarket head unit. I have the Eclipse CD3000 and I love it, but it is kind of pricey (~$250 but I got it with the car) I might be able to come up with some ideas for you. Kenwood, Alpine, Pioneer, Eclipse are all good brands.

I am still really new to this as the above is my first system, but if you want to know what I did or have questions, PM me.

mapolley07
07-03-2007, 10:58 PM
here are some cheap head units that will work well for you. All less than $130. They all have 3 sets of RCA outs which will make setup and installation easy

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8509_Alpine+CDE-9881.html (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8509_Alpine+CDE-9881.html)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8300_Pioneer+DEH-P3900MP.html (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8300_Pioneer+DEH-P3900MP.html)

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8565_Kenwood+KDC-MP3035.html

tbasile1
07-03-2007, 11:46 PM
Go with PG RSD comps up front($129 on OCS) and RSD coaxials in the back($49 on OCS)

Nate_100
07-04-2007, 02:13 AM
Buddy, let me first start by saying that alpine imo has the best bang for the buck. They type-R line is a fantastic line. Speakers are pretty good for the price and the amps and subs are used by some of the best. The subs like and will handle lots of power and their amps look and produce awsome power. I think a set of 6.5 comp for the front and can add rears if you need to with a good 2ch or 4ch for 4 spks and I would most def upgrade the H.U if possible. I would start with the H.U and build around that. Alpines prices are really fair and they have great customer service and a good warranty. Hope this helps.

tigerf117
07-06-2007, 05:36 PM
x2 on the build your system around the HU. I would definitely consider buying a used HU off the classifieds, for instance there is a p960mp for $160. Thats a great deal witha 13band EQ and 6v preouts. A little overkill prob, but definitely will stay with you for a while without having to upgrade. I would honestly get at least another $200 together. Don't ever recommend getting something that will get you by b/c Ive done it myself and am constantly upgrading and never satisfied (which is why this time getting together at least $1200 to start off with that doesn't include bass). Just my .02 cents. Recommend HU, cheap amp, and as nice a component sets as possible. Extra amps you can usually use, but not extra speakers.