PDA

View Full Version : Help me decide which comps

uzy
07-03-2007, 01:44 PM
ive got a choice between DLS Iridiums
CDT ES620
Focal 165 K2P

which set would be the best for listening to hip hop with, and which set would get nice and loud and handle 250rms.
im realy looking for crisp and clear vocals as my current speakers are muffled by my sub which is a RE SX 15".

im going to put them in stock locations in a golf mk4 so the mids will be low in the door and will be facing each other and the tweeter will be at the bottom of the A piller and will also be facing each other

tbasile1
07-03-2007, 03:10 PM
i havent heard the other two, but the Focals blew me away when i heard them, i was listening to rap on em, and they sound very smooth with great midbass along with crisp sound and crystal clear highs

They sounded amazing!

uzy
07-04-2007, 12:04 PM
anyone else got any thoughts

Pickzilla
07-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Cant go wrong with any of those. You have made a wise decision.

Vocals sound amazing on eurosports. But the DLS are also amazing.

Any chance you could get a SEAS lotus set? You would be VERY happy.

tbasile1
07-04-2007, 03:50 PM
hmm maybe get what ever is cheaper lol

Hoodlum007
07-04-2007, 04:28 PM
I would go with the ES620's, here is a review one of the members here did on the ES620's

CDT Eurosport 620 Review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi all,

My 1st post here but I am no stranger to high end car audio. I have quite a but of experience in both installing high end systems and listening to them.

So I have spent a solid month with a pair of '06 CDT ES-620 comps with the DRT-25 1 inch silk tweeter. (Purchased new for $399... retail at $699).

They are powered by a Pheonix Gold Titanium Elite 500.4 (I have powered them both in bridged for 250 watts RMS and non bridged for 75 watts RMS).

My HU is an Alpine CDA-9833 with 4 volt preouts.

Subwoofer is a 2004 RE XXX 12" Dual 4 run at 2 Ohms via a PG Titanium Elite 800.1

Rear fill was not run.

My previous comps have been: Infinity Perfect 6.1s, MB Quart Q series, CDT EF-61s, some older Polks, Dynaudios, and some JL comps.

1st let me say that I am not a CDT fan. I was thoroughly unimpressed with the EF-61s. They sounded good yes, for an entry level comp, but were very weak in midbass. I only decided to give the Eurosports a go because of the great price I got them at. The other options for me were Seas Lotus comps, DLS Iridiums, or Rainbow Profi Vanadiums. (all were over $900).

Also, I recently got to experience a pair of CDT HD-61s, and was far more impressed than with mine...

SO I figured, what the heck, if I hate the ES 620's I'll dump em on Ebay and go with the Lotus.

Installation was a snap cause they had the same mounting depth and frame as the EF-61s.

1st Impressions: Not good. Flat. Midbass not what I was expecting. To my horror they distorted quite easily. I was utterly horrified by the mid woofer of CDT's "flagship".

But, the 1 inch silk tweeter sounded great. I always have been a fan of silk tweeters for their warmpth and lack of edginess, and this one really delivered. Hands down the best tweeter I have ever heard in a car.

SO back I go to figure out if I had screwed up the midbass setup. Nope...wiring all correct. So off I go to work on tweaking this mid woofer to do what people say it can do. I take it off 250 watts RMS and put 75 watts RMS to each. Big difference, much better, but still not great. I think the PG was prolly pumping out 300 watts as they are underrated.

SO now they are comfortable and in no danger of being overdriven. Off I go on tweaking sessions. Many of them. Cant get them to sound good. The MB Quarts blew these out of the water. They still sound flat, no mid bass.

At this point I was crossing them over at 100 Hz with a 24hz/dB slope. (where my RE would pick up at 100 Hz low pass)

SO I got even more frustrated and drove with them for a week to see if they would wake up a bit. Nope, they still sounded like the Infinity perfects (NOW THOSE sounded HORRID).

In Complete dismay I broke out some classical CDs and turned off the sub, to perfectly set the gains using Henrich Gorekski's Symphony #9. In doing so I put the head unit into Defeat Mode Which turned out to be the smartest thing I did. I then used the gains/boosts/crossovers on the amps on the PG500.4 and 800.1.

Well something about doing that set these babies ALIVE. Suddenly I was running two 6 inch BEASTS of mids. A touch more tweaking at the amp level and I was grinning so hard my cheeks were hurting. The midbass came to life and man, it was THERE and hit hard and tight. Best midbass I have yet ever heard. It was as good as my buddies HDs. Tweets sounded much better, blended wonderfully... but it is the vocals which the ES's excel at. Vocals are so amazing on these comps I cant even put it to words. Sara McLaughlin with delerium was mesmerizing!

And they just cant be distorted...if you think you hear a distortion, play it back soft, and it's on the track, not the speaker. These things just get sickly loud, but do it without losing their fine sound.

Conclusion: easily the best comps I have ever owned. Sound spectacular! Took alot of tweaking to get them to sing, but it was well worth it

tbasile1
07-04-2007, 04:31 PM
i think theyre all great comps, personal preference is the deciding factor lol, like "pickzilla" said you cant go wrong with any of them

have you listened to any of them? any local shops have any of them?

uzy
07-04-2007, 04:55 PM
i wont be able to listen to any of them as the only local shop is rubbish and doesent have any of these sets, i just wanted to see what people thought about the sets. im thinking of buying the focals i have found some guy selling them but they have been used for 2 months as the guy selling them says. would they be aright if i was to buy used speakers

R/T Pimp
07-04-2007, 05:16 PM
Buy whatever is cheaper, all of them are amazing comps.

Hoodlum007
07-05-2007, 01:28 AM
The focals are great speakers just the tweeters are a bit harsh at hi volumes since they are aluminum and not silk.