PDA

View Full Version : Time for drastic measures...Box options...

NJTStang11
07-02-2007, 10:29 PM
Alright, well it's frustrating now that I sold my hatchback that was louder off 500rms than my Lexus ES300 is off 1600rms. Car really traps alot of bass back there and it's time for it to end. After alotta research the following three are my options.

#1:
2 10" Subwoofers firing through the rear deck.
http://clublexus.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45143&highlight=rear+deck
That is an example of what it'd look like, if you scroll down. Instead of one sub though, I'd have 2 10's. In place of each 6x9 I would cut out a little of the rear deck and build a box down into the trunk. Box would be sealed.

#2:
2 12" Subwoofers ported through my armrest. Look at the type R here..
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241126
Scroll down to the type r enclosure and thats an example. I'd have two 12" woofers firing INTO the box just like that with an external MDF port that fires through a hole where my armrest folds down.

#3:
2 12" Subwoofers ported through my rear deck.
I'd have a box built with aero ports that fire through each of the 6x9 speakers holes and just remove the rear fill from the car. I am worried about cancellation this way though. Would I fire subs back/port up through deck? All up?

What would you guys suggest?
Which would you guess to be the:
Loudest?
Best SQ?
Biggest pain in the ***? (Im assuming subs in rear deck)

jmanpc
07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
#3 is prolly your best bet, but a big pain in the ***.

NJTStang11
07-02-2007, 10:33 PM
#3 is prolly your best bet, but a big pain in the ***.

You think #3 would be harder than #1? What would you recommend for direction of the subs? Rear? Up? etc

jmanpc
07-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Just fire em back. #1 would ****, too, but getting everything aligned and cut perfectly for #3.... ****

mlstrass
07-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Why not remove some of the metal behind the rear seats? And just remove the
6x9's from the rear deck.

Also what about a louder sub like a DD, AQ, BL, or BTL? Unless that's what you're already considering.

You're not that far from me, so I'd be willing to help if you head up my way. Near Six Flags. Cutting metal is no biggie and if a LOT needs to be removed I can weld in or bolt in X braces to stiffen the chassis back up...

mlstrass
07-02-2007, 10:37 PM
Also doesn't the majority of sound come from the subs, unless playing around tuning? If so, then I don't see the ports making much of a diff if firing into the cabin...

NJTStang11
07-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Also doesn't the majority of sound come from the subs, unless playing around tuning? If so, then I don't see the ports making much of a diff if firing into the cabin...

That's what I've been really back and forth with. Some people are telling me the difference will be DRAMATIC by porting the rear deck. Some other say only around tuning.

It was for this reason I was leaning towards option #1. That and the fact that I would only need around a 2 cubic feet sealed box and actually have trunk room :fro:

AudioXtremes
07-02-2007, 10:51 PM
Hit up 80inches for a 4th order design to port through the arm rest.

NJTStang11
07-02-2007, 11:02 PM
Hit up 80inches for a 4th order design to port through the arm rest.

Those boxes are MASSIVE and my trunk isn't exactly on the large side. I'll try and contact him tho and see if he has any ideas. Thanks.

mlstrass
07-02-2007, 11:11 PM
I'd go ported for sure as you could use the extra output.

What sub you looking to use?

NJTStang11
07-03-2007, 12:39 AM
I'd go ported for sure as you could use the extra output.

What sub you looking to use?

Local guy from another board actually has a pair of MTX 9500 10's for only $225, hard deal for me to pass up. Option #1 going sealed would save me alot of time and avoid me hacking the **** out of my rear deck.

NJTStang11
07-03-2007, 12:42 AM

Can anyone verify or argue this point? I find 50% of this board thinks each side.

NJTStang11
07-03-2007, 04:28 PM
Options #1 and #3 are sounding like more and more of a project by the minute.

Will someone who really knows their **** take a close look at option #2? If the subs face INTO the box and the external port is lined up into my armrest wont this force ALL of the bass from the subwoofers to shoot into the box and out of the port into my cabin? For an example of what the box looks like, go to option #2, click on the link under it, and scroll down to the Type R in the crazy box. Just imagine a box with a 10/12" on each side of the external port. Thoughts? Opinions? Am I crazy or will this actually work?

mlstrass
07-03-2007, 07:13 PM
I'd still say option #4: put those 2 10's in a ported box, subs/port firing backwards. Remove the rear speakers, and remove metal from behind the rear seat to let the sound into the cabin...

I've offered to help on the metal cutting part if you don't have the place or tools to do it.

NJTStang11
07-04-2007, 01:01 PM
I'd still say option #4: put those 2 10's in a ported box, subs/port firing backwards. Remove the rear speakers, and remove metal from behind the rear seat to let the sound into the cabin...

I've offered to help on the metal cutting part if you don't have the place or tools to do it.

I did alot of this, didn't help a great deal. Really don't wanna hack apart the frame because I don't even know how long I'll be keeping the car. Tried removing the rears, helped a bit but no great increase. The rear seats are huge and thick and also hard as hell to get sounds through.

mazdakid
07-04-2007, 01:41 PM
who cares if you cut the metal and have to sell the car, just put the back seat back in

mlstrass
07-05-2007, 01:47 AM
What about removing padding from inside the rear seats then? Do you have passengers in the back often?

NJTStang11
07-05-2007, 05:25 PM
What about removing padding from inside the rear seats then? Do you have passengers in the back often?

Yea quite a bit actually. How big do you think a single 15" bandpass box would have to be for something like a Diamond D9, Fi Q, or similar sub?