PDA

View Full Version : Hifonics speaker review

shortyg83
07-02-2007, 11:18 AM
I've been looking for some speakers for a while and I really didn't wanna spend a ton of money. I was checking out hifonics speakers but seems pretty much no one has used them. I talked to a guy from hifonics and ended up ordering
hifonics zeus 6.5 components for the fronts
and hifonics atlas 6x9 for my rear.
Right now they will be recieving 50rms from a small alpine amp but I am ordering a autotek 4 channel amp 100rms per channel next week so i will get you guys a review on sound quality off of both amps. I will only be comparing it to speakers I have owned personnaly as opposed to just everything I heard
so I will compare them against
infinity comps
infinity coax
polk db comps and rears
alpine type R comps
pioneer coaxils
Ill get some info and pics up for you guys tonight

fwb_1234
07-02-2007, 11:27 AM
cool. looking forward to it.

tbasile1
07-02-2007, 12:25 PM
cool cool, id like to know how Hifonics speakers are, theyre cheap and look pretty decent

shortyg83
07-02-2007, 12:32 PM
The speakers just arrived combined the 4 speakers weigh about 21lbs shipping weight was 22. Ill get pics up tonight as I start the install.

DejaWiz
07-02-2007, 05:06 PM
Awesome, looking forward to the pics and review.

shortyg83
07-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Ok so pics wont be fully up till tommorow because work has been a mess. So Ill just give ya a little up to date on everything.

First thing I want to talk about is build quality.
I first opened the Zeus comps which were nicely pack with all the wires and crossovers. So I took the speakers out just to examine the build.
Well first off the metal used on the basket litterally feels like it will bend if I sqeeze it, The mag is pretty big and has a rubber cover on it. Speaker terminals seem kind of week and flimsy they are not push terms they are the normal ones. I pulled out a set of Infinity refernce comps that are 5.25 comps compared to these 6.5's. Despite having a magnet that looks twice as big as the infinity speakers the zeus are lighter and have less weight to them. Tinsel leads look to be almost exactly the same. All in all I was not impressed with the build quality of these, I am just hoping when I hook them up tommorow that I get better results.

As for the atlas 6x9's. Build seems much nicer. basket is sturdier and the mag is twice the size as my polk dbs and has a much heavier weight. The speaker terminals are push terms and the tinsel lead is partly attached to the cone with what looks like some type of glue. the tweet is swivel and has alot of movement up and down to give you more control of where you want it facing. I placed one polk and one atlas in each side at first to see if I could here any big differences. Honestly at first not a whole lot. volumn between both were practicly the same and sq seemed pretty close. One difference I noticed was the highs on the atlas seemed a bit better, playing a song like throw it up I heard the violin in the backround playing marions bluff much better then i did on the polks. But at the same time it seemed the mid vocal range sounded smoother on the polks.
After switching both speakers in I tested out songs from rock punk and rap. With mainly having the same results highs seem really good with the atlas but still mid vocal range much much smoother on the polks. When I was getting ready to turn the car off a bass test started as it was the next track on my cd. I was just gonna shut the car off when I noticed something I have never heard before. When the bass track started I could hear it much earlier on the atlas and then as bass got deaper and lower it faded more to the sub. With my polks Ive never heard anything like that, it always seemed like they started hitting the same time the sub did and the sub just drowned them out.

I will post more as I fool around a bit more with all of these. And since these comps and 6x9 are all illuminated speakers I will get pics up at night with them running to see if you can see the light through my cars stock speaker grills.

tbasile1
07-03-2007, 02:11 PM
hmm cant wait to hear more bout the speakers

they seem to have good midbass from what u said

wesl56
07-03-2007, 02:20 PM
yes im interested to hear more aswell... i dont think ive seen anyone on here that uses thier speakers lol...

shortyg83
07-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Ok so I should have some pics up tonight but here is a lil more of an update.

I decided to go ahead and install my comps before getting my new amp.
So they were being run of 50 wattsrms per speaker.

ok so I take my doors apart and remove factory speakers. Apparently I could pretty much mount a sub there as i have an obscene amount of clearence in my car doors. But even of I didn't these would still fit as they are only about 2.5 inches deep. Ok so scres dont line up so I make them.
Like I said before I wasn't impressed with the build quality of these at all. Pushing the terminal covers on felt like they would snap off. The crossovers that came with them are kind of big so may be hard for some people to mount in their car. They have 3 settings for tweeter. -3db 0db +3db. Starting with +3 Highs were a bit harsh so I dropped to 0db.

Ok now here is where my change in attitude goes. These speakers sound amazing. They sound better then both my infinity reference comps and the Polk dbs. The mid-bass isn't quite great but the highs are really clear and crisp. The only part of the speaker I would say wasn't as good of my past in sq was the mids seemed a bit smoother on the polks. The tweeters came with adaptors for flush mounting or the other angled mount adaptor. I mounted the in the top part of the speaker grill closest to the front of the car. angled up and pointing towards the rear. The tweets have better sound then my polks and my infinitys and seem better built at that. As where the mid didn't weigh as much as the other 2 the tweet seems to have more to it then the other sets.
As far as loudness these speakers are simply put underpowered only seeing half of their rms rating. But they are still very loud and clear for the amount of power they are on. I fooled around with the EQ a bit on my deck and took the higher freqs down just a bit to make the speakers sound even clearer.

Also all of these speakers are ILLUMINATED. The zeus have the zeus logo lit in blue on them and the cones of the atlas light a blueish green color. These can be seen through the stock speaker grill but they are not very bright as that they would be bothersome, they give the grill a small light that does not hurt to look at, alot easier then mounting leds all over the grills.

I am very happy with these speakers. And for the price which can normally be found fo under 75 per set I dont think you can beat them. I just cant wait to get my 4 channel autotek amp in so i can give them the power they deserve.

If you guys have any questions about them so far let me know.

tbasile1
07-05-2007, 04:48 PM
Impressive!! Geez for 75 bucks, thats a steal!!

shortyg83
07-05-2007, 05:34 PM
Best part is I got these from an online dealer BNIB for 110 shipped for both the rears and fronts. So I couldn't pass up the chance to try them.

tbasile1
07-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Best part is I got these from an online dealer BNIB for 110 shipped for both the rears and fronts. So I couldn't pass up the chance to try them.

Who wouldnt lol, thats a heck of a deal!!!

velobard
07-06-2007, 10:50 AM
Shorty, I really appreciate your review. I've been looking at this comp set and it's a bugger trying to find out much about it. I am kinda curious how the midbass would come out if you tweaked the tweeters down another 3dB. I just wonder if that would balance things out a little better and bring out the mids more since you describe it like that's the main weak link in this setup. (not that they're all that bad from the sounds of it).

My wife and I have similar cars with identical factory systems, the 360w Infinity system from Chrysler. I replaced my fronts with Infinity 6010CS and now I'm considering replacing her fronts with these Hifonics or some comps from Phoenix Gold. On her's I'm going to be installing dual TC-1000 subs with somewhere around 1000w, then eventually add another amp just to power the front comps I'll be putting in.

blimblam
07-06-2007, 10:57 AM
only if you had this before i bought my PG RSD comps.. =/

Hoodlum007
07-06-2007, 11:27 AM
i am sure your RSD's will sound better compared to the hifonics.

shortyg83
07-06-2007, 12:21 PM
Shorty, I really appreciate your review. I've been looking at this comp set and it's a bugger trying to find out much about it. I am kinda curious how the midbass would come out if you tweaked the tweeters down another 3dB. I just wonder if that would balance things out a little better and bring out the mids more since you describe it like that's the main weak link in this setup. (not that they're all that bad from the sounds of it).

My wife and I have similar cars with identical factory systems, the 360w Infinity system from Chrysler. I replaced my fronts with Infinity 6010CS and now I'm considering replacing her fronts with these Hifonics or some comps from Phoenix Gold. On her's I'm going to be installing dual TC-1000 subs with somewhere around 1000w, then eventually add another amp just to power the front comps I'll be putting in.

If you drop the tweet to -3db it would probably help the mid out as it would be heard a bit better. I like my treble high so I put it at 0. The mid bass would be the weekest link, but I think if I spend a bit more time fooling with my EQ on my deck and when i get the other amp I will see an improvement.

As far as the comment about these compared to the RSds. I would say the rsd have a bit better mid bass but I do like the highs better on these. Still I need to get everything powered correctly till I compare them more, but the fact these can be found for half the price of RSDs its hard not to choose them

velobard
07-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Actually I've seen the Phoenix Gold RSd 65cs at about the same price, about $70, on ebay and a few storefronts you can find on Google.

I doubt I'd be disappointed in either set, especially for the money. The Hifonics have the distinct advantage of being rated for higher RMS (100 vs 50-60), so that tilts things pretty heavily in their favor.

tigerf117
07-06-2007, 05:15 PM
^ Not necessarily, I've pushed 75wrms speakers to 150wrms easily and they took ot better than my buddies speakers rated for 100wrms. Also depends very heavily on install more than RMS rating.

velobard
07-06-2007, 11:53 PM
Tiger, I'll freely admit to being a noob in car audio. I've been spending a lot of time researching lately, but pretty much just how to set up subs properly.

How can an install affect how much power speakers can take? I know with subs you can usually safely overpower drivers to some extent in a sealed enclosure because the excursion is limited. Obviously door speakers don't exactly work that way.

BTW, there's a much bigger difference in how much peak powerthe PG and Hifonics speakers are rated for. Yeah, it's mostly bragging numbers, but IIRC PG is about 120 and Hifonics is 500.

DejaWiz
07-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Tiger, I'll freely admit to being a noob in car audio. I've been spending a lot of time researching lately, but pretty much just how to set up subs properly.

How can an install affect how much power speakers can take? I know with subs you can usually safely overpower drivers to some extent in a sealed enclosure because the excursion is limited. Obviously door speakers don't exactly work that way.

BTW, there's a much bigger difference in how much peak powerthe PG and Hifonics speakers are rated for. Yeah, it's mostly bragging numbers, but IIRC PG is about 120 and Hifonics is 500.

It's going to mostly be dependant on the speaker design and power signal sent to the speakers. If the signal is clean, meaning undistorted and unclipped, then most speakers can take well above their rated RMS without incident. How much clean power that can be handled is also going to depend on the mechanical and thermal limitations of the speaker.

velobard
07-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I understand about having a clean signal. I don't claim to know much about clipping other than basically what it is and that it's bad, but I'm not sure I'd recognize it. I only crank the system hard when I'm playing a CD, or MP3/Sirius plugged in, unfortunately through a tape adapter for now.

For the time being I'll be powering the fronts off the factory amp, which actually calls for 2 ohm. I know I'll lose a few dB, but down the road a bit I'll be adding a seperate 4 ohm amp devoted to just the fronts. The rear 6x9's in these cars are a PITA to get to, so I'll probably leave that part stock.