PDA

View Full Version : Cerwin Vega CS-18A feedback wanted

laser1984
07-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Picking up a set of the Cerwin Vega CS-18As from a poster here.

Cant find much info on the web about them...do they ROCK?

frzninvt
07-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Not to many folks will be familiar with them as they discontinued production probably from '88 - '90 or so. They are built like tanks and in an era when subwoofer use was in it's infancy so most people had to rely on the bass from the speakers in the rear deck. It's almost a shame that Cerwin Vega brought back the term HED (High Energy Design) to market their cheap foreign made speakers. The CS-18A is deserving of that name.

They are super efficient (guessing like 92-96db with 1W @ 1M) and can get loud with around 35W, the tweeter is a horn loaded dome and it has good dispersion. The tweeter is protected by a circuit that is resetable with a red button integrated into the metal grill. The tweeter is also integrated into the grill so that is why they need to be top mounted. The woofer (1.5" Voice Coil) has a woven fiber pleated surround with a polymer coating so they won't ever rot. Specs are vague to me but power handling is around 75W RMS Max, 150W Peak, Freq Response 40Hz - 20Khz. They are an excellent midbass speaker.

JBL was making the T545 6x9 during that era and probably the only real head to head competition to the CS-18A (last photo).

Another company that virtually no one remembers is Magnum Professional they made some very high quality speakers in the early 80's. A 6x9 component set of all cast aluminum, even the midrange/tweeter modules had cast aluminum grills and quality drivers. (see photos) I managed to find a pair on eBay NOS in the box but the foam had rotted so I sent them out to be refoamed and put them to use. They sold for $230/pr in '83 quite a sum back then.

The only speakers being made today that are equally beefy are the Polk MoMo's I think those have a cast frame and a pair of higher end Cadence or CDT's I don't remember. JBL also has a 50th Anniversary edition of the T545 called the T595 and they are pretty massive. They are older speakers but will work well if you feed them an 80Hz/12db high-pass signal with clean power, running them full range will over task them. They have been used as surrounds in a secondary HT system I have. Last they were used I was feeding them with an Alpine 9815 and Orion XTR-450 4 X 50W crossed at 80Hz and they sounded great.

laser1984
07-01-2007, 10:36 PM
I will be putting them in my boat below... I will be pairing them with a Cerwin Vega VMax sub that is powered by a Profile 1200 Amp

The CS-18As will be powered off a Profile 200 which is 2 channel 65RMS

I hope it sounds good

laser1984
07-01-2007, 10:36 PM
I will be putting them in my boat ... I will be pairing them with a Cerwin Vega VMax sub that is powered by a Profile 1200 Amp

The CS-18As will be powered off a Profile 200 which is 2 channel 65RMS

I hope it sounds good