PDA

View Full Version : Trouble sliding box into trunk

spoonraker
06-30-2007, 07:46 PM
Well I measured the crap out of my trunk and designed my box to fit perfectly inside of it...however I guess I didn't measure enough. Box is done, but I just can't quite get it into the trunk.

I fit it in the trunk with a slight amount of effort before I put the top on, and there was plenty of room once the box was inside the trunk, the problem is that now that the top is on, I just can't quite get the box inside lol.

I took all the weather stripping off of the trunk surround, and the plastic piece that covers the trunk latch area. The problem is the trunk latch its self. If it weren't there it would slide right in with a little bit of force, but I am off by about...you guessed it, 3/4'' with the top on the box.

Obviously my first thought was the remove the trunk latch, but then I discovered that in order to do that I would have to take the bumper off. to gain access to the bolts that hold it on. I have limited tools and knowledge so I'm trying not to take the latch off.

I was just wondering if there is anything I can do to get the box to slide in. I was thinking I could sand the back bottom edge of the box down a bit at a 45 degree angle, same deal on the front bottom edge, hell maybe just all of them. I might even have to cut a small notch right where the latch hits...

Basically what I'm asking is there anything I can do or just say screw it and find a way to get my bumper and trunk latch off?

Atimm693
06-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Through the back seat?

seg_representin
06-30-2007, 07:54 PM
Through the back seat?

x2 was just gonna say that. And what kinda car do you have?

doyoshuffle5
07-01-2007, 12:14 AM
had the same problem put it in without the top went in perfect

i got mine n by havin the subs facin verticaly went strait down then faced them towards me then i had to kept bangin at the bottom then it came strait down and fit like a glove

i duno what car u have tho so this could be totally pointless

05gliguy
07-01-2007, 12:19 AM
Round all the corners on the box, and it should slide right on it... I had the same problem with my trunk

jmanpc
07-01-2007, 12:20 AM
lube.

Blove1991
07-01-2007, 12:28 AM
Beat that ****** in and don't think about taking it out unless you have a saw laying around?

tru_44
07-01-2007, 12:30 AM
me and my cuz had similar problem with his box. we got half way in then i went inside car and got something to prop rear of the box up while he kicked the hell out of the front, but we got it in

blackbonnie
07-01-2007, 10:50 AM
i would go through the back seat, even if it doesnt fold down, your could take it off, and that would be easier then your trunk latch

mlstrass
07-01-2007, 10:56 AM
What year/model car? Can't believe you'd have to take the bumper off to get at the trunk latch bolts since it's something that's adjustable and normally easy access on any car...

Can you get a pic or two of the trunk latch area?

spoonraker
07-02-2007, 10:37 AM
It's a 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue.

I am 100% certain that you can not remove the trunk latch without accessing it from behind the bumper.

Also, I definitely can't slide it in from the cabin. The seats fold completely down, and even if I completely removed the seats, the opening for the trunk is nowhere near big enough, for some reason there is about a 5 inch bezel of solid sheet metal that completely surrounds the trunk opening from the cabin.

I'll have pics soon.

shortyg83
07-02-2007, 10:43 AM
i had this problem puting my friends box i built in his car. I drilled out a small part in the middle of the box where the latch was hitting and then slid it right in

spoonraker
07-02-2007, 10:48 AM
the latch hits about 4/5 inches from the front of the box on the bottom.

I don't know if cutting a notch would work for me since I'd have to cut an entire 3/4'' out, since it was hitting before I put the top on, but I could give it a gentile shove and it would pop in no problem.

My dad saw me screwing with it the other day and he told me just to jigsaw a big notch out of the bottom middle of the box, like all the way through the wood, and then once I got it in, woodglue the **** out of that piece and put it back in the box.

vwrx_freak
07-02-2007, 10:53 AM
i hda to pull up the false floor from the inside then slide it back into place after i got the box in before

Propimp
07-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Drop Kick!

mlstrass
07-02-2007, 05:46 PM
Personally I'd pull the bumper/latch WAY before I'd go cutting up the box...

Rawr-DQ
07-02-2007, 06:38 PM
round corners, take top off then put it back on later, 2x4 leverage~, cut the box down...notch it, yeah...we/~

wesl56
07-02-2007, 06:48 PM
lube.

i knew someone would say that... lol

id just take the bumper and latch of... i bet ya its alot eaiser than it looks, esp compared to all the work u did to build the box... plus, it will be theft-proof then :P

spoonraker
07-02-2007, 07:51 PM
haha yeah I'd love to see somebody try to steal it once I get it in.

I found a friend down the street who does a lot of work on cars and he said he'd help me take the latch off.

millerscents
07-02-2007, 07:55 PM
try a hot wrench

patrick1202
07-02-2007, 08:12 PM
i HAD to drop kick my box for 3 hours straight and we had to cut a groove where the latch was and still had to kick it it wasnt coming out so yea and we sprayed rain-x on the corners to soften it up the box was really good then by time i got it in it was junky sigh

Anonymous User
07-02-2007, 08:21 PM
tried putting the box in at different angles?

you can try to have someone push it up from the inside so you can push it in...

jmanpc
07-02-2007, 08:35 PM
lube.

;)

mlstrass
07-02-2007, 10:20 PM
One other tip: when it's time to slide it in, a piece of laminate flooring (Pergo) under the box makes it slide mucho easier.