PDA

View Full Version : tuning help please

RollinRemz05
06-30-2007, 07:21 PM
im making a box for my T1 12" sub. Its gonna be 2.5 cu ft. I was thinking 32 Hz was good but im not too sure. I only listen to rap and i just need some boomy/rolly bass. Any suggestions is appreciated. Thanks.

phyphoestilic
06-30-2007, 07:23 PM
32-35hz would be fine for u.

phillipcyoung
06-30-2007, 07:25 PM
what are the pros and cons of tuning around 30 as opposed to like 38-40? i know its suppsed to be louder the higher you go up but how does it effect sound quality?

phyphoestilic
06-30-2007, 07:30 PM
I think the general def for SQ is if ur system has the ability to play all frequencies at a flat level. Hence the reason so much turning is required. Of course people like different sounds and so they adjust it to however they like it. When u tune higher it's louder because it peaks higher toward those frequencies u tune to. 35-45hz is usually where most bass notes in rap/hip-hop songs hit. But when a sub woofer has to play below the box's tuning point it has a higher chance of over excursion, because there is very little to none dampening (don't know if thats the correct term) below the box's tuning frequency. That's why there's subsonic filter on amplifiers, to reduce the output below the tuning frequency of the box. People tune lower (28-30hz) to try to get the flattest response in all frequencies, That's the main reason they say to tune low for SQ.

That's the quickest way i can sum it up. Of course if u really want to get into it, it gets alot more complicated. And u can find response graphs and stuff to help prove the point. 32-35hz seems like the midpoint to be able to get loud, and still reproduce the lower frequencies well.

phillipcyoung
06-30-2007, 07:38 PM
awesome thanks man. i had heard something to that effect but didnt actually know how it worked. building a box right now for my 12''s but im probably going to get someone to port it for me since im new to it. one more question, if i want to compete in an spl comp where would be the best place for me to tune at?

phyphoestilic
06-30-2007, 07:39 PM
awesome thanks man. i had heard something to that effect but didnt actually know how it worked. building a box right now for my 12''s but im probably going to get someone to port it for me since im new to it. one more question, if i want to compete in an spl comp where would be the best place for me to tune at?

Depends, if u want a box that u can use for good daily music and still be able to compete then probably 32-35hz. If ur going to build a separate box just for SPL competitions then probably 36-42hz. Some pure competitors tune as high as 45-55hz) but of course they have done a lot of setups and testing for the reason why they decide to tune there.