PDA

View Full Version : amp rack??

fv04as
02-25-2003, 02:08 AM
Is building an amp rack sort of like building a box?? Anyone know where i can go to see how to make one?? I wanna build one for a jbl 1200.1 and put it in the back of my durango. THanks

Matador
02-25-2003, 05:51 AM
basically yeah. i guess most of them are like a shoebox w/o the lid. If you want you may put one or two fans to keep it cool, and like put a plexiglass window so you can see thru. It just depends what you want n stuff, but just think of a shoebox

fv04as
02-25-2003, 04:37 PM
would i use the same kinda wood all that???

Matador
02-28-2003, 04:32 AM
if you want yes,you would prob have some spare from teh block of 3/4 that u get. so i wouldn't think u would wanna buy some more wood when u r gonna have some left over.

but even 1/2'' would be fine.

TheGrimReaperKD
03-01-2003, 12:51 PM
You could always buy pre-fabricated ones.

azngurlbaybee
04-07-2003, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Matador
if you want yes,you would prob have some spare from teh block of 3/4 that u get. so i wouldn't think u would wanna buy some more wood when u r gonna have some left over.

but even 1/2'' would be fine.
Does it matter at all if it's MDF or some other wood? Could it be made out of metal even?

My'97Ram
04-07-2003, 09:15 AM
cant be metal, it would sound like *** and be too heavy and bulky. people buy mdf because its easy to work with and its sturdy. but i prefer to work with star board:p

mykeys
04-07-2003, 09:19 AM
I don't know about using metal, but using like 1/2" plywood will work. It would be lighter. It just may not be as straight. Pretty much any type of wood will work though.

Mike

fantomas
04-07-2003, 11:24 AM
an amp rack is anything that you mount the amp to. it can be made out of anything. most people use wood because its easier to work with. others use fiberglass because it looks better (if you know what you are doing). you can use metal but i would tend to stay away from it just because metal is a good conductor of electricity.

azngurlbaybee
04-07-2003, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by My'97Ram
cant be metal, it would sound like *** and be too heavy and bulky. people buy mdf because its easy to work with and its sturdy. but i prefer to work with star board:p
What is star board?

When people look at my car, I want them to say "Dang, girl. You've got a sweet rack!" :)

i3abyjay25
04-07-2003, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by azngurlbaybee
I want them to say "****, girl. You've got a sweet rack!" :) ill leave the sexcist (spellin) jokes along this time...

azngurlbaybee
04-07-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by i3abyjay25
ill leave the sexcist (spellin) jokes along this time...
Hee hee...You better! :)

crhye250r
04-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Amp racks could theoretically be constructed from anything you would want to. If y ou are mounting it to the sub box, I would use something sturdy, so as to prevent vibration. A metal amp rack, if done correctly could look quite trick, but i would stay away from it, as someone said earlier, because of its conductivity. If i was building an amp rack, i would build it from fiberglass (if you had the resources, or someone to do it for you $$), or 1/2 MDF as long as it wont be in contact with the enclosure. I would recess the amp, and cover it in plexiglass. This would be an easy process w/ some basic woodworking knowledge, and a rabbit cutting router bit.

azngurlbaybee
04-08-2003, 01:44 PM
Hmmm...I want my amp rack so that it makes the amps "stand up" on their side because it takes up less space (less useable space that is :)). What would you guys say about the structural integrity of something like these two things?

From my measurements, the second one would have about 1/16" of clearance :eek:

So if the first one would work, I'd be a lot better off with it...

fantomas
04-08-2003, 03:56 PM
if they are going to be put under a seat or built in a box (much like a small box like that) you would need cooling fans. i just bought 75 1.5" fans for like $20 lol....

azngurlbaybee
04-08-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by fantomas
if they are going to be put under a seat or built in a box (much like a small box like that) you would need cooling fans. i just bought 75 1.5" fans for like $20 lol.... It'll be in my trunk...

75 eh? Wanna hook a girl up with a couple cheap ones? :)

fantomas
04-08-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by azngurlbaybee
It'll be in my trunk...

75 eh? Wanna hook a girl up with a couple cheap ones? :)

i'm in the process of building a new rack. and i need to test out to see how good airflow is...im going to put as many fans in as possible (as intakes and exhausts) because they are so **** small.

i'm just saying that a fan would be desireable because even if you only have a 5 sided box...the air still isnt moving. ask one of your geeky computer friends to give you a fan from an old computer ;)