PDA

View Full Version : Bored with my left over MDF

hotshot27
06-30-2007, 10:05 AM
After i built my latest tragedy of a box, i had some wood left over. I also have some extremey old 7'' woofers[ from a home stereo in the late 80's]. i'm going to try and make a sealed enclosure for them and i'm thinking about .3 cubes of space for each ??? they say they are 4 ohm and 8 watt rms but i've had them hooked up to about 20rms for an hour and they played just fine. Any of this sound like a good idea??? and they are a paper cone, not a coated pulp cone, but a real paper cone. I'm just bored and want a little something else in the upper end bass notes without buying anything else.

Sorry for the long post, but will this work??? or should i just scrap the project and blow up the woofers with my sub amp? [and no i wouldn't post a video of the carnage]

hotshot27
06-30-2007, 05:08 PM
nobody has any opinion on this?

PV Audio
06-30-2007, 05:12 PM
Just do it, it's the only way to learn.

ballstothewall
06-30-2007, 05:13 PM
Just do it, it's the only way to learn.

Agreed.

You could try porting them to ~60hz or so for maybe a little extra omph.

Trixter
07-02-2007, 01:20 PM
build a mini WO

i got an old pair of jensen 10's...the ones w/ the hand prints on them...i'm going to build a WO for them and see what they do running off my jensen 500. (blue w/ the flouresant graffiti on it)

hotshot27
07-02-2007, 04:08 PM
i've designed a box with a net volume of .7 cubes and tuned it to 60hz with a with high pass filter at about 50hz. If i don't like it my friend has an older toyota truck with blown speakers and i'll just give it to him. i'm not going to do all the works like caulk the inside because it is ust a simple joke and i'll let the wood glue be the seal. i may not even use clamps, just screws. [its only getting about 20-30rms]
i'll try to remember to take pics but i still can't figur out how to upload the ones i've taken of my old box.