PDA

View Full Version : Just one of those things to learn from

hotshot27
06-29-2007, 10:24 PM
I should have known. i measured everything in my trunk several times just to be 100% certain that the box i was making would fit perfectly and snug in my trunk. i spent a little over 60 in materials and over 3 days of nearly constant work, my first box was structurally done. then over 2 more days i put vinyl on the outside[red and black] and made sure everything looked nearly perfect. got my CVR's put in the box and all wired up, hooked it up to the amp, and it sounds amazing. i couldn't be any happier [atleast with my CVR's]. then i went to put the box in the trunk and.....OOPS the box stopped moving. my trunk opening is too small and my love of my life now is useless. i spent 5 days making that box [and all my budget] and now it wont fit in my trunk opening. So for all the first time builders out there, be smarter than me and MEASURE EVERYTHING!!!

P.S. i'm going to a body shop monday to have them dismantle my trunk and quarter panels. I WILL MAKE THE BOX FIT. maybe slap some fiberglass on the panels while they are off the car?

phyphoestilic
06-29-2007, 10:26 PM
Bravo.

tapout
06-29-2007, 10:27 PM
P.S. i'm going to a body shop monday to have them dismantle my trunk and quarter panels. I WILL MAKE THE BOX FIT.

lawl

hotshot27
06-29-2007, 10:27 PM
ill post pictures in the next couple days, right now i'm too busy mourning my loss:crying:

Immacomputer
06-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Is there no way you can remove the back seats and get it in that way? Hopefully that will be easier than all that other work.

hotshot27
06-29-2007, 10:51 PM
naw the way my car is that there is a 15"x34" hole for the folddown seats and the rest is solid metal. I'm just going to have to take off the bumper [like 8 screws and some plastic holders] and one of the quarter panels [also just screw in but massive screws and rather nasty to try to get back together] the owner of the bodyshop is an audio enthusiast so i'm hoping he will give me a discount of maybe even free.

Unless someone wants to buy this box off me for cost of materials only[and shipping] . 38 for wood and cutting[very precise], 5for wood glue, 5 for nails, 3 for countersink bit, 25 for the vinyl, caulk was free [from putting in new windows]. i have pics of construction its extremely solid, my dad and i can stand on it. 4 cubes at 30hz with two holes for 12's.

p.s. this is not an official sales thread, but i will entertain offers:yumyum:

mlstrass
06-30-2007, 01:12 AM
Can't you just cut away some of the metal in the rear seat opening? It could be welded back in if needed.

What kind of car do you own with "bolt on" quarters?

Tip for the next one you build: make a "test" box out of 1x2's that's a skeleton frame of the box you want to build. Will cost $2 in wood, a few screws, and 20 minutes of time. Then you'll be 100% sure it'll fit...

hotshot27
06-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Its a Ford Taurus. ive taken the panels off myself because with my first system the panels were rattling and i took them off to see if i could be ghetto and spray "great stuff" in the gaps and call it done [forget about the possibility of it expanding and reshaping my car lol]

hotshot27
07-04-2007, 12:36 AM
ALRIGHT!!!
took it to the body shop and they said $300 to do it today or come back in 6 weeks for about $80. i said screw it and am in the process of seeing if someone locally wants to buy my box [currently in my back seat and loud as ****. been pulled over twice in the last 24hrs, both warnings for "noise violation"]. i'm going to make a new box a little smaller with same tuning but use polyfil to make up for the lost space. OR i could make two boxes, one for each 12, and then they would slide in a lot easier than 1 giant box [just takes more trunk space] any thoughts?

mapolley07
07-04-2007, 12:48 AM
maybe try assembling it in the trunk? not easy but it would work. do like 1/2 the assembly outside and finish it up inside the trunk. this may not work with your application but it's worth looking into.

mlstrass
07-04-2007, 01:21 AM
How tall is the box? I'd look into getting it through the rear seat opening as cutting the opening a little bigger won't hurt anything...

hotshot27
07-04-2007, 06:08 PM
the box is 39x17.5x16.5 and the opening is about 12 inches tall for my fold down seats. I'm gonna try to cut the box almost in half and put it back together once i get it inside. i know this is a horrible idea, HOWEVER i have access to extremely expensive carbon fiber wrap and resin.[used on pipelines, cures and holds about 200,000 PSI lol]. once i get it in i will carbon fiber the cut and make it a super hard seal and hopefully all will be good. if it doesn't work, then i will have wasted about $2000 worth of carbon and special resin; and i wont be able to get the box out then LOL.

bonesninja
07-04-2007, 06:14 PM
single port or dual ports? if its single then the 2 box idea is most likely out since you would then have to port each box=more space than the box with single port

darren700
07-05-2007, 08:52 AM
ive done the same thing before, however i realized my error after first test assembly. and made some adjustments to make the box smaller.... then it fit :)

AudioAnonymous
07-05-2007, 09:39 AM
Why not just use some Titebond 2 and glue it back together while it's in there?

60ndown
07-05-2007, 09:44 AM
38 for wood and cutting[very precise], 5for wood glue, 5 for nails, 3 for countersink bit, 25 for the vinyl, .

not useing a tape measure.......priceless :suicide:

id peel the vinyl back, cut the box shorter a lil and re-assemble, b4 messing with the ride.

60ndown
07-05-2007, 09:45 AM
the box is 39x17.5x16.5 and the opening is about 12 inches tall for my fold down seats. I'm gonna try to cut the box almost in half and put it back together once i get it inside. i know this is a horrible idea, HOWEVER i have access to extremely expensive carbon fiber wrap and resin.[used on pipelines, cures and holds about 200,000 PSI lol]. once i get it in i will carbon fiber the cut and make it a super hard seal and hopefully all will be good. if it doesn't work, then i will have wasted about $2000 worth of carbon and special resin; and i wont be able to get the box out then LOL.

just use wood glue, screws and caulk.