PDA

View Full Version : need 5 1/4 midbass drivers 2ohm

grassroots
06-29-2007, 06:14 PM
the speakers in my buddy's z3's kickpanels are blown and i was looking for a replacement for them. they are single 2ohm 5 1/4" and i couldn't find any decent ones on parts express. they will be amplified off the stock head unit so i don't need anything too crazy. price range is 100-150 a pair. any suggestions would be appreciated....

thanks

Thetalkingshoe
06-29-2007, 08:05 PM
Image Dynamics CX52 are 5 1/4" and two ohm.

http://cgi.ebay.com/5-1-4-CX-52-Image-Dynamics-2-Ohm-Midrange-Drivers-NEW_W0QQitemZ170088507958QQihZ007QQcategoryZ14941Q QrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

M3@Apex
07-04-2007, 06:14 PM
BMW's speakers are 2ohm, as you have realized, but I found that with my focal polyglass at 4ohm with higher sensitivity than the stock speakers, it actually sounded fine for now. DO NOT unplug the midrange speaker if it has one.

bass_lover1
07-06-2007, 02:06 AM
There's no need to buy a 2 ohm driver, you're limiting your options and you're overlooking GREAT drivers that come in 4 or 8 ohm version. It's been discussed before, though the argument was from 4 to 8 ohm, and IMO you're really just shooting your self in the foot.

Also, if it matters, every speaker in my car is an 8ohm driver, yes even the XXX (dual 4 wired to 8, though not installed yet), believe me, you can't tell a difference :)

Frankensuby
07-07-2007, 04:49 PM
My Polk MOMO's for sale! :) Bet they'd sound better than stock....

What do the old ones look like? Are you looking for just a midbass/woofer, or coaxial?

grassroots
07-09-2007, 06:44 PM
'preciate the replys. i'm just looking for a replacement midbass driver. the ID's are little expensive, and overkill considering they won't be externally amped.

one question, will having the stock tweeters (2ohm) in the doors hooked up with new 4ohm midbass drivers sound alright?

and m3@apex, i already unplugged one of the blown midbass drivers and faded the sound over because he was complaining about driving back to FL with it sounding like crap. it didn't seem to cause any problems at all...

M3@Apex
07-09-2007, 07:43 PM
'preciate the replys. i'm just looking for a replacement midbass driver. the ID's are little expensive, and overkill considering they won't be externally amped.

one question, will having the stock tweeters (2ohm) in the doors hooked up with new 4ohm midbass drivers sound alright?

and m3@apex, i already unplugged one of the blown midbass drivers and faded the sound over because he was complaining about driving back to FL with it sounding like crap. it didn't seem to cause any problems at all...

I don't mean the mid-bass. Most BMW's have a 3-way ssytem for stock (don't know if it's the case with the z3), but if you're getting a component set to replace the 3-way, do not unplug the mid-range speaker. Midbass will probably be replaced with the new driver you're looking for anyways.

grassroots
07-11-2007, 09:01 PM
yeah, the z3 only has a two way... it's no M :D

i ended up getting a pair of infinity kappa 5.25" since they were relatively cheap and 2ohm... bolted up without any mounting ring and sounded decent... the owner thought they sounded great so i was happy...