PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have any experience with external port boxes?

NJTStang11
06-29-2007, 12:58 PM
I did a search and couldn't find much other than threads referring to displacement upon building the box for the sub, but not much else.

I'm looking to either pick up the following (the type r in external box)
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=241126

or if that doesn't fit my situation get a similar one built.

How do these sound? I've had massive trouble getting my lexus loud due to the soundproofed trunkbut finally ripped some metal off and have a space where my armrest folds down. I was thinking about firing the port right through that spot and shooting right into the car. Will ALL of the bass be out of the port (considering sub faces into box)? Would it be better to build them with the subs actually in the box facing the trunk and a rear port through the armrest? Anyone, just need opinions before I tackle this.

Lakota
06-29-2007, 01:05 PM
I do with aero's :) I build all my boxes with external ports.

They sound just like a normal boxes, but have the potential to get louder because there are less distractions on the inside of the box to cause turbulence. As far as port firing in a trunk, I can't help you a lot. But, people NORMALLY keep the port firing in the trunk.

NJTStang11
06-29-2007, 02:21 PM
I do with aero's :) I build all my boxes with external ports.

They sound just like a normal boxes, but have the potential to get louder because there are less distractions on the inside of the box to cause turbulence. As far as port firing in a trunk, I can't help you a lot. But, people NORMALLY keep the port firing in the trunk.

I don't like the port to fire into the trunk in this one car only. All of my other cars have had boxes face rear, port rear, and sound perfect. This car has such a **** soundproofed trunk I'm looking for a way to slide by and get more bass into the cabin by just having a slot port right into the armrest fold-down.

btnhfan
06-29-2007, 02:28 PM
Im thinking of doing it for my next build.

Have 4" ports or 6" ports firing through the 6x9 holes in the trunk.

NJTStang11
06-29-2007, 05:09 PM
Im thinking of doing it for my next build.

Have 4" ports or 6" ports firing through the 6x9 holes in the trunk.

That was my other option. Was also thinking about doing this.

THUMPPER
06-29-2007, 11:05 PM
external ports work well...

this set up HAMMERED

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/549000-549999/549281_144_full.jpg

Immacomputer
06-30-2007, 08:11 AM
The port only adds to a small portion of the bass. About a 1/2 octave above tuning, the port will not be doing much of the work and could leave you with a boomy response around tuning.