PDA

View Full Version : Installing Crystal SSC6's in an 01 Jetta?

Apoc
06-28-2007, 06:32 PM
I really don't want to have to built custom enclosures or door pods for these but if they won't fit in the stock openings of the Jetta I'm going to have to. Has anyone tried it or had any problems getting speakers to fit in their jetta?

I'd like to be prepared if they aren't going to fit. Thanks

tEh koRnDog
06-28-2007, 06:35 PM
uh

Apoc
06-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Wow, thanks for the help...post wh0re

uh

DejaWiz
06-29-2007, 04:59 PM
You may have to fab some mdf rings, but it shouldn't be a problem.

Latina33
06-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Wow, thanks for the help...post wh0re

Yeah, that's pretty lame....if you're not gonna try and help with a question, why take up bandwidth with useless posts? :rolleyes:

Anyways, if you go to www.crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com), there's a section in there where you can put in your car info, and it'll tell you what size speakers fit in your car. That'll help get you in the direction you're trying to go.

I had SSCS6's in my car a few months ago, and I've got 5X7" holes in the front doors, and 6X8" holes in the back. They were installed in the front with just a little modification with a baffle, and worked just fine.

They're good speakers for the money.

Apoc
07-01-2007, 05:08 AM
Yeah all thats going to tell me is my car takes 6.5 speakers which I already know...I just need to know if the stock holes are deep enough/wide enough to fit my 6.5 sscs6's in and not have to modify anything.

Anyways, if you go to www.crutchfield.com (http://www.crutchfield.com), there's a section in there where you can put in your car info, and it'll tell you what size speakers fit in your car. That'll help get you in the direction you're trying to go.

I had SSCS6's in my car a few months ago, and I've got 5X7" holes in the front doors, and 6X8" holes in the back. They were installed in the front with just a little modification with a baffle, and worked just fine.

XHiFiX
07-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Yeah all thats going to tell me is my car takes 6.5 speakers which I already know...I just need to know if the stock holes are deep enough/wide enough to fit my 6.5 sscs6's in and not have to modify anything.

Did you actually use it?

Here's what it came up with for your car:

Installation Details

Installation Details for your 2001 Jetta
Use the factory speaker grilles.
A speaker adapter bracket is required, and it's included free with your speaker purchase.
Drill out rivets to remove the factory speakers.
A wiring harness is not available. Cut off the factory connectors and splice the vehicle's speaker wires to your new speaker wires.
The factory subwoofers in this location receive only bass frequencies from the amplifier. If replaced with aftermarket speakers, the aftermarket speakers will only reproduce bass.
Component speaker systems consist of separate woofers, tweeters, and crossovers. You'll install the woofers in your factory speaker openings, so we check those for fit in your car. You'll have to custom-mount the tweeters and crossovers, which usually requires drilling and running new wires.

I'm pretty sure their "What Fits My Car" selector takes into account the mounting depth and other dimensions.

Also, the SSCS are pretty shallow anyway with the neo motor structure.

Good luck with the install. ;)

req
07-01-2007, 11:38 AM
um

all you gotta do is cut some MDF mounts to raise the speaker up from the door.

there should be like 2~3" of space between the metal door skin to the plastic door panel. i fit image dynamics CX62's in my 03 GTi. so you should be able to fit those no problem.

InsaneKreationz
07-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Yeah, that's pretty lame....if you're not gonna try and help with a question, why take up bandwidth with useless posts? :rolleyes:

They're good speakers for the money.

5x7s=6x8 :fyi:

5x7's have a extra set of tabs.... where 6x8s dont.

Stel
07-01-2007, 11:54 AM
SSCS mounting depth is 3.1" and cut-out hole is listed as 5.75". The outside diameter of the basket is larger than most too (at the front, around the screw holes). They were larger and deeper than my stock speakers and my Polk db6500's. I made custom mdf baffles to mount them in my '96 Accord doors.

Apoc
07-01-2007, 02:13 PM
I guess the crutchfield system changed a bit since I last looked. That's pretty good information...

And When I was talking about them being wider than normal, I was referring to the outside diameter of the basket like Stel. I'm not sure I'm going to keep the jetta yet but if I do, I'll just have to custom fab something it sounds like.