PDA

View Full Version : What can be said about these speakers?

hollowpoint
06-27-2007, 07:26 PM
Looking into possibly getting some Pioneer TS-A1371R the 5.25", I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I heard them at this shop with a Pioneer headunit(Pioneer DEH-P3900MP) but would probally get Pioneer DEH-P2900MP if I were to get these speakers, the only difference I see between the two headunits is that the first one plays ACC as the other doesnt since I dont care. Heard them on the wall but when things play of the show room wall, I feel that their hiding something:confused: So whats the pros and cons about the speakers?

Also what are the pros and cons of Polk db525. Which ones would be the best of the two as well as give off the most bass yet still be loud?

tbasile1
06-27-2007, 07:55 PM
Those Pioneers are okay, but IMO the Polks are better!!

Whats your budget, maybe we can recommend some better 5.25 coaxials, because thats what your looking for right?

hollowpoint
06-27-2007, 08:18 PM
Yeah 5.25" coaxials are what Im in the market for(no components). Sorry but what does IMO mean? I guess my budget would be MAX $400 and thats with the parts needed for install like harness and what not.

The dude at the shop said he felt that Polks are overrated basically and that their advertised to be the best and really arent. I never heard any so Im not sure. I also heard that the polks have no bass at all, I want some punch to it enough to be alot better than stock and not distort much. Thanks for the help

phantom240
06-27-2007, 08:23 PM
memphis M-Class 5.25s are pretty **** good for the price.

hollowpoint
06-27-2007, 08:31 PM
If was looking at the correct Memphis speakers by specs the pioneers look better, although I probally looking at the specs wrong also since I never heard them so Idk but now what about those three? Whose the winner

phantom240
06-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Memphis is underrated.
Pioneer blues are ghey all day, every day.

Memphis PR's and M-Class are two TOTALLY different speakers.

hollowpoint
06-27-2007, 09:00 PM
which Memphis is better than and how much of a difference is there really? My view on the speakers have taken a totally new turn now

phantom240
06-27-2007, 09:05 PM
Memphis M-CLass > Power Reference.
--M-Class: Carbon fiber cone, larger motor, butyl rubber surround, larger aluminum dome tweeter, inline crossovers for woofer and tweeter
--Power Reference: Graphite reinforced PP cone, polyurethane surround for more controlled cone movement, less power handling

M-Class speakers sound NICE. I got to hear a pair of the 6.5s in person.

tru_44
06-27-2007, 09:18 PM
I suggest some MA coaxials

LoudCrownVic
06-27-2007, 09:34 PM
MA lol.

phantom240
06-27-2007, 09:43 PM
MA lol.

x2

MA Audio is a joke. Along the lines of Audiobling.

hollowpoint
06-27-2007, 10:08 PM
Well I guess MA wont be added to the list. Question about the Pioneers, would they work up to peoples expectations though or are they just semi good if at all?

tbasile1
06-27-2007, 11:10 PM
the M-Class Memphis' are good speakers!!!

I have some Premier Pioneer speakers, a lil step up from the Pioneers your looking at, theyre decent but theres alot better out there!!

I think the Polk's have pretty decent midbass and are a better speaker than the Pioneers

Im guessing you'll be running these speakers of the HU right?

Heres some suggestions for you:

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3106

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=4137

These are VERY good coaxials!! And those Polks, are a step up from the ones your looking at, and its a big difference, the Focals are top notch speakers and sound amazing, just make sure you have enough mounting depth, that can be an issue with Focals!!

But I will say this and many others, a component set amped is the best way to go!

tbasile1
06-27-2007, 11:18 PM
IMO=In My Opinion ;)

Krown
06-27-2007, 11:23 PM
But I will say this and many others, a component set amped is the best way to go!

+1. Save up some money and buy the gear that you'd really like to have... don't waste it on stuff that you're probably only going to appreciate temporarily.

hollowpoint
06-27-2007, 11:25 PM
Thanks for help and finding me some speakers that are good but thats out of my price range, 2 sets of the focals are basically how much the headunit and pioneers will cost me, well maybe 20-30 less but still, a little to high, same with the polks. I dont need the best of the best right now, Ive learned to settle for decent this past year and now Im on a budget so anything that is better than stock but yet will sound good and have some kick to it. I need something that is better and it would be a lesson for me to learn to live with good and not always top quality atleast till I can really afford the top quality type. And yes it will be running off the headunit since I deff cant afford an amp at the moment

tbasile1
06-27-2007, 11:29 PM
OO my bad, must have read it wrong you want TWO sets of coaxials for $400 and under, ook ill give ya some more suggestions then, you sure you dont want components lol

tbasile1
06-27-2007, 11:30 PM
Wait heres the same Polks i suggested before, just cheaper!!

http://sonicelectronix.com/item_8442_Polk+Audio+MOMO+MMC525.html

hollowpoint
06-27-2007, 11:37 PM
what is the big difference between coaxial and component?

tbasile1
06-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Components have the Tweeter and Woofer separate and a Crossover which allows the highs to go to the tweeters and mids to the woofer, the sound quality is better, but keep in mind, what really brings the best out of components is amping them

Coaxials is the tweeter and woofer all in one

Someone else can prolly get more specific and techincal

phantom240
06-28-2007, 01:24 AM
Components have the Tweeter and Woofer separate and a Crossover which allows the highs to go to the tweeters and mids to the woofer, the sound quality is better, but keep in mind, what really brings the best out of components is amping them

Coaxials is the tweeter and woofer all in one

Someone else can prolly get more specific and techincal

Some coaxials (Like the Memphis M-Class coax's) have external in-line corssovers for the woofer and the tweeter.

I still think the Memphis M-Class are definately one of the top choices in your price range. Also, look into the Pioneer REV series, with the yellow cones. I hear great things about them

DejaWiz
06-28-2007, 10:42 AM
I guess my budget would be MAX $400 and thats with the parts needed for install like harness and what not.

So $400 for HU, speakers, and installation accessories correct?

What kind of vehicle?

And if you could save up money for a few more weeks/months/whatever, how much could you raise the budget to?

What are your goals with putting a system in your vehicle?

Propimp
06-28-2007, 10:51 AM
you can get 2 sets of diamond D6 comps or coax for under 400$ about 330.

tigerf117
06-28-2007, 11:12 AM
Are going to do the install, or do you need someone to? Dont have best buy or circuit city install one and buy a deck from there. They say free install, but you pay for it when you have to buy all the accessories n **** (it ends up costing you $40-60 for install). If you have $400 to spend this is what I'd do.
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_8568_Pioneer+DEH-P5900iB.html This deck
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_8442_Polk+Audio+MOMO+MMC525.html These speakers for the front and another set of coax in the rear. With shipping
Total would be $401 and you'd have all the install access for the deck.

JohnnyChuttz
06-28-2007, 11:32 AM
I would go with the above recommendations for the Headunit and front coax'es.

For the rear you could go with your Pioneers

Pio 5.25 Ebay link (http://cgi.ebay.com/PIONEER-NEW-2-WAY-SPAEKERS-5-1-4-MODEL-TS-G1341R-PAIR_W0QQitemZ290131648288QQihZ019QQcategoryZ14941 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I would tack on a budget amp to throw on your front speakers.
Look at the 400sx or the 200sx(100w x2 and 60w x2) For the price they are unbeatable.

http://www.profilecaraudio.com/amplifiers.htm (http://www.profilecaraudio.com/amplifiers.htm)

Still pretty close to your budget and you end up with a better headunit and amped fronts. The sound will be much better with an amp.

tbasile1
06-28-2007, 11:49 AM
MOMOs all the way around, those G-Series Pioneers are garbage

And what are you looking for in a deck? because the 5900ib is a great deck but you might not use all those features and it would just be a waste of money

Idk if he wants an amp right away, he can always save up later and get a nice 4ch amp for the MOMOs

JohnnyChuttz
06-28-2007, 11:51 AM
Yeah but who uses rear fill anyway?

tigerf117
06-28-2007, 11:53 AM
Or just skip the rear speakers altogether and just amp the fronts. Trust me, with 75wrms+ going to the 2 polk momos vs having 4 speakers, you'd be SO much happier for the former.
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_7161_Power+Acoustik+SL2-340.html
http://sonicelectronix.com/item_7331_Rockford+Fosgate+CP8PO.html
I can sell you a set of RCAs cheap if you need me to. With the polk momos up front and that 5900ib pioneer deck it'd be a great starter system. Better than my first system.

tigerf117
06-28-2007, 11:55 AM
You're right, he may not use all the features on the 5900ib but he may some day. I always recommend getting the nicest head unit you can afford because if you skimp out on a deck now, one day you always regret it. I have. The 4900 is a great choice as well (owned last 4800) and has 3 preouts, plus it'll save you $20-30. More for an amp.

tbasile1
06-28-2007, 02:33 PM
i have the 4900 and love it

But yea we all really dont like a rear fill, but if he doesnt have subs then ya might want to consider

And if anything, IMO run a comp set amped as your front stage over coaxials

Do you have subs or plan on getting some in the future???

If no subs, then id do 4 5.25 coaxials all the way around with a 4ch amp

If yes, a good comp set up front amped, and forget about the rears

hollowpoint
06-28-2007, 04:28 PM
So $400 for HU, speakers, and installation accessories correct?

What kind of vehicle?

And if you could save up money for a few more weeks/months/whatever, how much could you raise the budget to?

What are your goals with putting a system in your vehicle?

Yeah $400 for everything is REALLLLLY the max. I saw on crutchfield for the pioneer set it would cost $315+tax for everything and possie connectors or whatever and a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cord. and that looked really good to me as in price

Its a 1998 Jeep Cherokee, My plans for anything in the Jeep is just something that is better than stock really and loud but still has some bass kick to it, no subs in this Jeep atleast not for a very long time

------
How would you install the components because of the tweeter and I would be doing it myself. OR is it possible to get good speakers and a good sub+amp and equipment for under $400MAX?

DejaWiz
06-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Yeah $400 for everything is REALLLLLY the max. I saw on crutchfield for the pioneer set it would cost $315+tax for everything and possie connectors or whatever and a 3.5mm-to-3.5mm cord. and that looked really good to me as in price

Its a 1998 Jeep Cherokee, My plans for anything in the Jeep is just something that is better than stock really and loud but still has some bass kick to it, no subs in this Jeep atleast not for a very long time

------
How would you install the components because of the tweeter and I would be doing it myself. OR is it possible to get good speakers and a good sub+amp and equipment for under $400MAX?

Alrighty. The only reason I asked is we could probably put together a really nice system for you for $700-800 including a sub.

And just a quick note - you can fit 6.5" speakers up front. You just have to drill the mounting holes is all. :D

tbasile1
06-28-2007, 04:42 PM
If thats the case, id go with 6.5 comps up front that are amped!!

PG RSD comps maybe?

Pioneer deh-2900,3900,4900?

PG RSD single sub?

hollowpoint
06-28-2007, 04:47 PM
OK, I dont want to sound like a pain or anything but could someone put together a system that would cost $400 or less with subs and coaxial speakers? is that even possible? and thats again with everything included in price. Im seeing that there are many options and as I see them Ill be able to figure out which one is right for me at the moment with price and such, I just looked at some stuff and put it together and its right up there in the $400 but IDK if I added everything that I would need and if all the parts would work good together, and only had a amp for the sub. So Idk

DejaWiz
06-28-2007, 05:10 PM
OK, I dont want to sound like a pain or anything but could someone put together a system that would cost $400 or less with subs and coaxial speakers? is that even possible? and thats again with everything included in price. Im seeing that there are many options and as I see them Ill be able to figure out which one is right for me at the moment with price and such, I just looked at some stuff and put it together and its right up there in the $400 but IDK if I added everything that I would need and if all the parts would work good together, and only had a amp for the sub. So Idk

I posted this not too long ago for someone in your situation. Doesn't include HU or installation accessories, but here you go anyway:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3162219&postcount=3

Hope it gives you a rough idea for what costs may be involved for getting some quite decent equipment.

That post is exactly why I was asking if you could increase your budget. :laugh:

tbasile1
06-28-2007, 05:19 PM
Thats a nice setup that DejaWiz picked out for that guy

What do you want coaxials or components? 5.25 or 6.5? I would do 6.5 comps

Have you decided on a HU? What are you looking for in a HU, iPod, MP3? Id look at the Pioneer deh-2900 or 3900

And 1 single 10" or 12" sub right? You can prolly build a box yourself out of MDF

And a 4ch amp, using 2chs for the speakers up front and the other 2 for the sub? Maybe a Profile or a Crunch amp like D-Wiz suggested for that other guy

$400 is tight, might want to save up a little more

hollowpoint
06-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Well If Im going to do speakers I would like to do all 4 so Id have to say as well as making it cheaper to go with 4x 5.25", the headunit I really liked that pioneer but if had to get another i dont care about ipod control on the HU or MP3 just something that will power the speakers well enough and has a aux port for the iPod. A single sub would be good unless theres a great deal on decents ones and than an amp to power the sub. IF there is money left over(doubt it) Id use it to amp the speakers. But with that price the wires and everything need to be in it as well.

----

What I kinda put together is

Pioneer Premier DEH-P390MP- $114.99
Rockford Fosgate Power T152C-$64.99&$64.99(2pair)
Visonik VBP10 10" 500W Bandpass System-$54.99
Boss CH850M-$74.99

Estimated order total $352.12

Thats with tax and shipping, NO wires or 3.5 to 3.5 cable and supposly the wiring harness and bracket for the headunit is free

DejaWiz
06-28-2007, 05:34 PM
Well If Im going to do speakers..... (snip)

Do your factory speakers currently work or are they blown? If you have 2 working factory speakers, then here's some more food for thought: leave the working pair in for rear fill powered off the HU, and then take the money you want to spend on the 2 sets of speakers and an amp to get an even better set of fronts and an amp.

tbasile1
06-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Boss and Visonik are brands you should stay away from!!!!!!!!!

Check the classifieds section on here or eBay for really good deals too!!

But heres the system I would do:

*HU-Pioneer deh-3900(like you picked out, thats a great HU)$114.99
*Speakers-5.25 Infinity Refs, $65.99 a pair on woofersetc.com, you can prolly get em cheaper on ebay and they were $50 on sonicelectronix, but out of stock, Infinity is usually cheap online and ebay and theyre good speakers and good products!!
*Sub-Phoenix Gold R10 $24.99 on sonicelectronix
*Amp-Directed A502 $89.99 on sonicelectronix
*Box, go get some MDF and build one on your own
TOTAL: $361.95 that does not include shipping or tax or any harnesses, amp kits, a box etc... for a lil more this system will cost you than the one you picked out, this system will make you a very happy and pleased guy, it would sound nice!!

BUT you may find some of those products on ebay cheaper!!

hollowpoint
06-28-2007, 05:47 PM
would I need a multi channel amp for two subs?

and whats bad about Boss and Visonik?

DejaWiz
06-28-2007, 05:57 PM

Depends on the subs impedance and number of voice coils, as well as the amp power you have to work with at a given load.

Two 4 Ohm dual voice coil subs can be wired at either 1 Ohm, 4 Ohm, or 16 Ohm final.

Two 2 Ohm dual voice coil subs can be wired at either 0.5 Ohm, 2 Ohm, or 8 Ohm final.

Two 4 Ohm single voice coil subs can be wired at either 2 Ohm or 8 Ohm final.

Two 2 Ohm single voice coil subs can be wired at either 1 Ohm or 4 Ohm final.

Once that is determined, you can then choose an amp which will provide each sub with it's rated W RMS.

Example:
You have 2 Kicker CVR122 subs. Each is a 2 Ohm dual voice coil rated for 400W RMS. You want to wire them 2 Ohms since you have a Hifonics BXi1606D amp that will put out around 825wrms at 2 Ohms.

tbasile1
06-28-2007, 07:10 PM

and whats bad about Boss and Visonik?

D-Wiz did a great job explaining about amps

Whats bad about Boss and Visonik is that they are cheap quality garbage flea market products especially the lower lines you were looking at

They dont do the wattage and performance that they say they can do, and did i mention they were cheap garbage quality lol

That system I picked out is quality and good products for your budget, that will deff please you and you would be very very happy with that setup, then down the road you can always upgrade, like upgrading to 2 subs instead of one single sub

phantom240
06-28-2007, 07:23 PM
If you want to put together a system with a HU, subs, new speakers, etc., then I think you're shooting to low on your budget. I think for about $500-600 using wire, subs, speakers, etc that members have for sale here is the only way youll be satisfied with your system while remaining on your budget. Good luck mang!

hollowpoint
06-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Yeah I was figuring that Visonik was cheap but didnt think it was that cheap but Ive seen Boss around and stuff so thought they were decent. I might be shooting low but hey, better to try to get the lowest price than working my *** off paying off insurance and saving up, that cant be too healthy for someone.

I was looking through some more enclosed subs with Alpines (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6536_Alpine+SPS-13C2.html) would they be better than the pioneers? with that in cart with the headunit and this sub caught my eye, Audiobahn ABP101N(http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4602_Audiobahn+ABP101N.html) I was pretty sure Audiobahn(no the neon isnt what caught my eye) was good cause Ive seen alot before but IDK for sure if they are and an amp to power it IDk?

DejaWiz
06-28-2007, 09:52 PM
Boss = junk.
Visonik = junk.
Audiobahn = junk with advertising power.

Did you see my earlier post (http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3173164&postcount=38)?

hollowpoint
06-28-2007, 10:08 PM
yeah I did but just wanted to see if any of the cheap already enclosed subs were decent. I priced out a cheap Power Acoustik(might not be the best) 15" sub with a box and amp and wiring along with the headunit and stuff and it was too much for me at the moment.Thanks for all the help with this

BUT what about these Apline (http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6536_Alpine+SPS-13C2.html) comapred to the previous Pioneer speakers? Which ones are better? I decided that Im just getting a headunit and coaxial speakers. I was driving in the Jeep to get a few things and I really right now of course want a kick *** system but just dont have the money to put out with some loans and college as well as having some cash to go out. Im just in the market for good headunit which I got narrowed down and now some speakers.

tbasile1
06-28-2007, 10:15 PM
So now your just sticking to a HU and 4 5.25 coaxials right, so whats the budget??

That Pioneer deh-3900 is a great unit and I would suggest going with that

phantom240
06-28-2007, 10:27 PM
So now your just sticking to a HU and 4 5.25 coaxials right, so whats the budget??

That Pioneer deh-3900 is a great unit and I would suggest going with that

I would go with the 390ib. The premier pioneer models have nicer features, for only a slightly higher price.

hollowpoint
06-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all the help!