PDA

View Full Version : RE Enclosure calculator

BJ The Man
06-26-2007, 07:24 PM
Is it reliable? Does it calculate everything correctly most of the time?

mazdakid
06-26-2007, 08:28 PM
yes

BJ The Man
06-26-2007, 09:57 PM
are we 100% sure? I've heard lots of things..

mazdakid
06-26-2007, 10:32 PM
why are you asking if it does everything right if youve heard lots of things? why dont you tell us why its not 100%

BJ The Man
06-26-2007, 10:41 PM
Well i build on box with the plans it gave me and im not sure if the tuning or the interior volume is correct. I had it done at 2.2 cubes @32hz with a type e in it. when i went to the TL the guy found my peak loudness at around 52hz. I've also heard good and bad things. it may have been that it was a type e and they **** but i dont know what to think.

IgnoreMe
06-26-2007, 11:19 PM
dude just cause you peak @ a certain freq doesnt mean your tuned to that freq...

jacka
06-26-2007, 11:20 PM
doesn't take driver displacement into consideration

BJ The Man
06-26-2007, 11:21 PM
dude just cause you peak @ a certain freq doesnt mean your tuned to that freq...

Ahh..thanks. I'll remember not to listen to employees at that place. Thanks for the input.

IgnoreMe
06-26-2007, 11:26 PM
Ahh..thanks. I'll remember not to listen to employees at that place. Thanks for the input.

what? no you misunderstood.

the mic said you peaked @ 52hz. meaning...you peaked @ 52hz. period thats all it means. they werent lying. they werent joking. they werent pulling your leg. you peaked @ 52hz.

your box very well maybe sitting @ 32hz. i dont know...i didnt calculate your box.

jellyfish420
06-26-2007, 11:33 PM
i didnt calculate your box.

impedance plot would be the best way of going about it.

BJ The Man
06-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Well now that I understand all of this I can say that I know the calculator was correct, however, it was not an enclosure that would do what i wanted to. I may need a larger box tuned lower.

I just need to experiment with different sizes and tuning frequencies and try Win Isd for this to see how that works out. I suppose gaining experience at box building/designing would be the best way to gain knowledge.\

Thanks for the help guys.

jacka
06-27-2007, 09:51 AM
the calculator is not correct, it doesnt take into account driver displacement.......

sqhertz
06-27-2007, 10:35 AM
if you know the dimentions of the variables you can adjust, you can (well i did) use it for a cutsheet.
its 100% accurate using it that way...

ndstrctbl
06-27-2007, 10:38 AM
with a box you make on the RE calculator you must design it with the driver displacement added to it. so, lets just say you want 3 cubes tuned to 32hz for a 12" tc 3000, you must make it 3.02 because the calculator is also .1^3 off.

so, you have a box that is 3 cubes tuned to 32hz on the calculator, but, its really 3.1 tuned to 31hz. me and a few other people have found this to be correct.

BJ The Man
06-27-2007, 02:04 PM
with a box you make on the RE calculator you must design it with the driver displacement added to it. so, lets just say you want 3 cubes tuned to 32hz for a 12" tc 3000, you must make it 3.02 because the calculator is also .1^3 off.

so, you have a box that is 3 cubes tuned to 32hz on the calculator, but, its really 3.1 tuned to 31hz. me and a few other people have found this to be correct.

It may be that .1 off because of wood thickness?

and thanks for the help everyone.

jellyfish420
06-27-2007, 03:12 PM
Well now that I understand all of this I can say that I know the calculator was correct, however, it was not an enclosure that would do what i wanted to. I may need a larger box tuned lower.

you do understand that making a bigger box and tuning lower will not (to a degree) change where your vehicle peaks at. there is a certain range that your vehicle will peak at due to the shape and size of your vehicle. for example say your truck peaks in the 50's. w/ a 34hz box you peak at 54hz. so you go to a 27hz box and peak at 51hz. (these are completly made up numbers by the way) you will gain more lower end, but the respone of the cabin will still be the same.....unless you wall it, but then you change the size of the cabin. smaller cabin, easier to pressurize ;)

IgnoreMe
06-27-2007, 04:35 PM
you do understand that making a bigger box and tuning lower will not (to a degree) change where your vehicle peaks at. there is a certain range that your vehicle will peak at due to the shape and size of your vehicle. for example say your truck peaks in the 50's. w/ a 34hz box you peak at 54hz. so you go to a 27hz box and peak at 51hz. (these are completly made up numbers by the way) you will gain more lower end, but the respone of the cabin will still be the same.....unless you wall it, but then you change the size of the cabin. smaller cabin, easier to pressurize ;)

thank you. explained it much better than i would have

BJ The Man
06-28-2007, 05:20 PM

Ohhhh. So, I have a jeep liberty. If i took up the whole hatch with my box(even with back seat, touches sides of interior, and is about 3-4 inches from the back hatch) then that would create less total airspace in the cabin. Thia would make it easier to pressurize hence better low frequency extension.

I think thats about right. I'll be getting my 15'' SSD in the next week or two and will give it about 3.5 cubes at 33Hz. This would take up most of the back area and also its a much higher end sub then the Type E.

Does that sound about right?