PDA

View Full Version : DIY Component Drivers.. What's out there that's respected

Babs
06-26-2007, 10:40 AM
Planning on an active two-way (no-passive crossover) system for fronts with filtering by either the head unit or processor for separate channels to tweeters and mid/bass and a sub or subs in rear. Amateur mid-fi "SQ" setup maybe running off a CDA-9887 or H701 or maybe even OEM MS-8 / 3sixty.2 / PXE-H650 maybe, if I find a deal.. Though the 9887 is my favorite.

Given that I'm attempting to learn more about other makes in just RAW drivers rather than canned packaged component systems.. I'm interested in what drivers are out there from the DIY vendors.. What manufacturer/models, etc?

Example, in another thread, we brought up discussion about Seas Neos tweeters and Peerless Exclusive 7" woofers..

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1604&osCsid=fb418df376d040642f2c8a899c88017e
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=149&products_id=633

I'm planning on roughly $300 to $400 top end for the budget.. That's for two mid/bass and two tweeters.. Though I'm finding you can buy a lot of DIY drivers for that budget compared to your typical Infinity / Polk / Boston / MBQ / DLS / CDT / Rainbow / you name it CAR specific brand.

So starting the thread to ask... What do you like? What models rock in a typical front component setup?

Granted I can't do $200 tweeters, but I'm still interested in excellent tweets that can be relatively easily integrated into a car without too much modification.

..... :fro:

Pl8er
06-26-2007, 10:41 AM
search diy active etc...lots o threads on here

Babs
06-26-2007, 10:45 AM
Yeah I'll go ahead and say it.. I should "Search Noob!"
I see, just searching on DIY Active, the list is far and long.. can o' worms maybe.

Twistid
06-26-2007, 10:47 AM
is this the seas neo tweeter?

27TAFNC/G
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=149&products_id=633

Pl8er
06-26-2007, 10:48 AM
EDIT: I can't read, you answered most of my questions :P

I like Seas. Although, do you have enough experience to go active? It is a pretty big undertaking.

Babs
06-26-2007, 10:57 AM
Yeah maybe narrow it in a bit for at least this thread..

Twistid, yes, that's the tweeter.

My application.. budget in post 1, mids in door, tweets in a-pillar stock location, replacing the "subaru upgrade" tweets (what a laugh).. No real room to do kicks, so I do know that will limit me a bit with being way off axis by door mounts.. but I do have some decent space to be more directional with the tweets inside the housing.. Though I may open it up a bit and use some felt for absorption (edge defraction elimination) in the housing around the tweet... Or maybe just mount ontop of the plate grill... So I guess the mids would need to be pretty doggone good off-axis. Typical triangular housing inside the rear-view mirror post.. may be a sin for SQ, but it was my current thought for placement.

The type of tweet I was considering was just a standard car-type mount, or something small enough to mount inside that housing or could easily be modded to fit there... Don't want to cut into doors or dash. I see a lot of the home speaker styles have flanges with screw mounts which could be a problem in a car setup.

Indifferent to silk-dome or aluminum as long as it's a great clean tweet.

Mids the same... indifferent to materials as long as they're fabulous drivers that I can make fit in the 6.5" stock location.. I may have a little ability to do a baffle and mount a little larger, pending depth.. I haven't gotten in there yet, so open for different drivers that once I get in there I can rule out later based on depth restrictions in the door panel.

Type of brands I've looked at.. Seas, Peerless, Scanspeak, Usher, Dayton, Vifa, Tang Band, etc... Any that can be bought in raw single drivers.. typically from DIY folks like madisound or partsexpress or also if you recommend any other online vendors as well that's very helpful.

Also, I'm trying to learn about how to properly read spec's though I do understand on and off-axis freq plots typically posted and resonant freq's, etc.. a little :) just enough to be dangerous.

MiniVanMan
06-26-2007, 11:45 AM
Go to the "Reviews" section of www.diymobileaudio.com

That's a forum dedicated to what you're trying to do.

Babs
06-26-2007, 12:50 PM
uh.. yeah!!! Dang.. Good referral Thanks!
Just the first post in this tweeter thread was enough to make my head blow up. hehehe

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7256

MiniVanMan
06-26-2007, 01:39 PM
Well, if it's any help, the Seas Neo tweeter is a rock solid choice and you won't go wrong picking up a pair no matter what mid you use them with.

Babs
06-26-2007, 01:43 PM
Yeah it sounds like it's a serious bang for the buck. A match up with that peerless 7" might be the ticket if it will fit in the doors.

denim
06-26-2007, 02:05 PM
I am dieing to install my Mach5 MLI-65's active with my new Seas Neo Textile dome tweets.

Twistid
06-26-2007, 02:07 PM
i hear dayton 7" midwoofers and seas neo tweets are a great combo

jrouter76
06-26-2007, 02:09 PM
Planning on an active two-way (no-passive crossover) system for fronts with filtering by either the head unit or processor for separate channels to tweeters and mid/bass and a sub or subs in rear. Amateur mid-fi "SQ" setup maybe running off a CDA-9887 or H701 or maybe even OEM MS-8 / 3sixty.2 / PXE-H650 maybe, if I find a deal.. Though the 9887 is my favorite.

Given that I'm attempting to learn more about other makes in just RAW drivers rather than canned packaged component systems.. I'm interested in what drivers are out there from the DIY vendors.. What manufacturer/models, etc?

Example, in another thread, we brought up discussion about Seas Neos tweeters and Peerless Exclusive 7" woofers..

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1604&osCsid=fb418df376d040642f2c8a899c88017e

I'm planning on roughly $300 to $400 top end for the budget.. That's for two mid/bass and two tweeters.. Though I'm finding you can buy a lot of DIY drivers for that budget compared to your typical Infinity / Polk / Boston / MBQ / DLS / CDT / Rainbow / you name it CAR specific brand.

So starting the thread to ask... What do you like? What models rock in a typical front component setup?

Granted I can't do $200 tweeters, but I'm still interested in excellent tweets that can be relatively easily integrated into a car without too much modification.

..... :fro:those tweets are very very good,some of the smoothest sounding metal dome tweeters I have ever heard and i owned Boston Acoustics pro tweets,cdt-tw-24 tweets, and a few others, hands down seas neos rule. get them if you don`t like them you can always sell them over own www.diymobileaudio.com

jrouter76
06-26-2007, 02:11 PM
i hear dayton 7" midwoofers and seas neo tweets are a great combothey are a good combo,but that combo is better suited in a 3-way becuase of the lack of low-end on the RS-180s.

Russkels55
06-26-2007, 02:30 PM
image dynamics idq'6's i have some forsale $100+shipping.

Babs
06-26-2007, 03:40 PM
Can't find anything about the specs on those 6's.. I'll bet that's why they're not moving.. No info on ID's website on them. If you can link or upload some specs on your sale thread.. might help sell those.

jellyfish420
06-26-2007, 04:05 PM
pmed you ;)

Russkels55
06-26-2007, 05:11 PM
i wish i could find stuff on them as well ive been looking but not finding anything on them. they are in mint shape though. anyone able to help me out here?

Babs
07-20-2007, 04:46 PM
So an update on possibles to match up with the Seas Neo tweeter...
I found a pretty good article with a lot of the drivers out there in a wide price and brand range.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/6.5test/

.. enjoy.

The peerless exclusive still looks promising.. The Seas P18RNXP also looks promising for a budget.

bass_lover1
07-21-2007, 02:58 AM
The SEAS would be an excellent choice, though I believe their off-axis response isn't the best but it should do very well. I've also heard they are a laid back metal dome tweet, well, laid back for a metal dome anyway. May I suggest looking at the LPG 26na as well, it's what I use and also VERY laid back for a metal dome, in all honesty much softer to the ear than my old type X soft domes (non-ring radiator version).

The Peerless mids you're looking at would be an excellent choice as well. Peerless has always made great drivers, and their Exclusive line is no exception. The HDS mids that I'm currently using are more of a "value" version of the exclusive. Similar specs, and design, biggest differences are obviously the phase plug on the exclusive, and apparently the Exclusive also uses a bit more copper shorting rings in the motor to lower inductance. However, it was said to me, that the slightly lower inductance probably wouldn't make an audible difference while driving due to outside interference, IE wind and road noise.

Just thought I'd give you another option, I'm VERY happy with the drivers I chose, though I would have loved to pick up the Exclusives, I couldn't justify the slightly higher price for the difference in performance. Though I would still love to own a set regardless :).

Eugenics
07-21-2007, 03:55 AM
seas 7" with the nextel cone = ***

genxx
07-21-2007, 06:12 AM
I have not owned the Peerless but they have gotten very good reviews. I have owned the Seas Lotus and still own a set of Seas 7" drivers. Very happy with the Seas drivers. Wish I had not sold my rare Seas Lotus 8" drivers a while back. I have been happy with the XT-19 tweeters. Have not had the Seas Neo's yet, but I will.

From all the reviews and people talking. The Peerless and Seas Neo are a very good set-up.

Babs
07-23-2007, 10:14 AM
seas 7" with the nextel cone = ***
Talking about the W18NX-001?? I would hope so for $165 per driver. Daaaang!

Don't remember if I asked or not but this Vifa "Autosound" driver looks interesting as well.. Any thoughts on it?

M18WN19-04 6-1/2"
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_245_316&products_id=1060

AcidicDreams
07-23-2007, 10:25 AM
I ran a dayton RS combo and enjoyed them, they weren't perfect though.

Don't forget on the nicest of the comp sets you can buy the raw drivers. For instance you can grab the Seas Lotus drivers raw and 6spdcoupe can get you Rainbow speakers raw as well.... just a thought...

Don't forget you need an active capable HU or an external crossover...

Babs
07-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Oh yeah.. It'll be an active setup for sure.

I'm learning also on my car though mounting depth is a big deal. I haven't seen a definite spec but I know one guy used 20mm spacers to fit in 75mm / roughly 3" drivers. So I'll need to factor that constraint in the decision.

CaliforniabOY5
07-23-2007, 12:12 PM
Go to the "Reviews" section of www.diymobileaudio.com

That's a forum dedicated to what you're trying to do.

:word:

Babs
07-31-2007, 03:51 PM
Talking about the W18NX-001?? I would hope so for $165 per driver. Daaaang!

Don't remember if I asked or not but this Vifa "Autosound" driver looks interesting as well.. Any thoughts on it?

M18WN19-04 6-1/2"
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=45_245_316&products_id=1060

Again, any thoughts or experiences with this Vifa driver above?

Keyser Söze
08-15-2007, 10:33 PM
Again, any thoughts or experiences with this Vifa driver above?

It's a Tymphany family driver, along with Peerless and Scan. I'm sure it's good quality, although DIY'ers in general can't really go wrong with any Scan product.

For $400, I'd pick up a pair of Profi Kick Bass mids and a pair of the Neo metal domes. A nice combo of naturality, smoothness and air. The Neo's can get 'bright' depending on source material and install location, but they will not chew your ears off.

Either that or jump on the Seas Excel GB. ;)

Babs
08-16-2007, 04:03 PM
After way too much reading over at diyma, and at zaphaudio.com 6.5 driver review.. I'll probably end up going Seas all around with some RNX's of some kind and Neo tweets of either alum or textile dome. Or go nextel cone Excel's.

On a budget, the CD18RE-MDS that's on special is getting good reviews, and the new ER18RNX is looking pretty nice.

I get the impression with say $120 in the mids and $60ish or so in the tweets, that's a lot of 2-way for around $200 compared to what you can buy in a car-audio marketed setup.. Those guys are comparing their diy setups to some rather high-end comps like dynaudio, focal, etc in some of their comparison reviews.. I'm not surprised.. Good passive x-overs aren't exactly cheap, nor is the "car-audio" specific markup.

MiniVanMan
08-16-2007, 04:25 PM
It's more the "car audio" specific mark up.

Take a look over at DIYMA for the Basic Guide to Crossovers Part 2 thread in the tutorials section. http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17429

I modeled up a set of bookshelves using very controlled parameters to show that deviations from original design can have a dramatic effect on how a passive crossover performs. In other words, it's impossible to create a "universal" optimized car audio passive crossover. It's a lengthy thread, with a lot of graphs and illustrations.

Good to know you've come over to the dark side though.

Babs
08-16-2007, 05:29 PM
The active-front-stage-diy force is strong with this one.. Cash isn't though. :fro:
Micro-brew tastes on a PBR budget. hehehe
Yeah the whole passive x-over thing is just too crazy when it's too easy to go active, I guess.

Has me thinking about selling off the Paradigm Reference V.3 speaks that have been sitting in boxes for almost two years now waiting on me to frame in and build the theater room (that isn't happening anytime soon).. Because I could probably do better building 5 Odin Seas kits when I finally get the room done. :yumyum: