PDA

View Full Version : Cooling problems among other things

Trendkill
06-25-2007, 06:56 PM
Ok first off, the car is a 91 camaro z28 5.7. I bought it about 2 weeks ago. It's in pretty **** good condition for the most part. I brought it to a new mechanic to get a few leaks taken care of. In addition to fixing all of that, he also said he toned down my idle a bit since it was a little too high. And he put a piece of steel wool in my exhaust to quiet it down a bit, to maybe win over the guys that failed me for inspection (thats another story, the inspection guy who's english was pretty rough tried to tell me that I failed for an exhaust leak and THATS what was making my car so loud. when it was really the fast that my entire emmissions system is ripped out from the egine back and my borla exhaust is bypassing the muffler on purpose).

Anyway, I get it back from him today, and I wasn't even 5 minutes from the shop when I noticed my temp going past 220, which it only does in heavy traffic on really hot days. Then it kept going, all the way into the red which it has never done. I have 2 cooling fans @ the radiator, the right one is not working. I do not know whether or not it was working before I brought it to the shop, but when I called the mechanic after all this happened, he said the fans were working in the shop. I would think that with atleast one fan running, I wouldn't see the car overheat that fast regardless. Do you think that the steel wool in the exhaust could cause more heat to build up in the engine due to less exhaust flow?

I'm not sure if this is the exact exhaust model I have but it's pretty much the same setup: http://www.borla.com/applications/lookup.aspx/1991/Chevrolet/Camaro/Z28T-304_Stainless_Steel_Cat-Back_3_Adj_System/14888/

He supposedly put the steel in the right pipe in that picture, after the split. The only other thing I can think of is that somehow lowering the cars idle somehow messed with the computer (which i was told by previous owner is an aftermarket performance chip) and randomly caused some chain reaction. My car knowledge is like a 4 out of 10 though So I'm really just throwing ideas out there.

On another note, the inner window sill on the drivers side door is completely loose. This is something I would have noticed as I had my windows down and my arm on the door all day long driving it yesterday. He said he did no work involving the door. How random is that? Sheesh.

hollowpoint
07-01-2007, 09:54 PM
That 2nd fan can do alot in regards to helping cool the engine down(kinda why they made it with it). He can change the idle through the ECU or adjust the screw or cable. Make sure your oil gauge is correct as well. Because if he messed up the ECU than your going to have to reflash the whole program and set everything either back to stock or find out the settings the previous owner had. I dont think the steel wool would really cause any of this, unless it put a alot in it. Maybe go back to the shop and ask to see what he did. If you left the shop and the temp went up that high, its 97% possible that it was his fault. After you find out go to another place and see what they say