PDA

View Full Version : Rear Fill, Looking for Options

maxazor
06-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Everyone I'm looking for some decent 6.5" rear fill speakers, my budget is ~$60. I've been looking on Zaph Audio review at brands such as Dayton, Ascendant, and Peerless, but I'm not sure where I can purchase these and which to buy. Anyone feel free to chirp-in. They will be getting ~50 watts in a 4ohm load.

I'm also looking for feedback on 2.5 -3" mids for the front stage to be mounted in the kickpanels (need shallow depth). Again they will be powered 50watts in 4ohm load.

thanks

armstrong
06-25-2007, 12:25 PM
yea, i would also like to know a good rear fill option.

mlstrass
06-25-2007, 01:46 PM
I've been VERY happy with the REV's off a Profile amp for rear fill. I only play them at louder volumes and they "seem" to make the front stage sound fuller and help it keep up with my subs...

What do you want your rear fill to do? I think that's what you need to decide first. Will it be on all the time? Used to fill out the sound, or make your set up much louder? Is it needed to help keep up with a killer sub stage?

For everyday listening to just compliment the fronts some decent coax's off HU power should be fine. You can play with the fader and dial them in to not take away from the fronts. I've used JBL GTO's off HU power with good luck. Also ran bass blockers to them.

BTW.....be prepared for the "no rear fill" Nazi's to chime in....

maxazor
06-25-2007, 02:27 PM
I don't NEED rear fills, as most of the soundstage will be pulled to the front, but I do want some sort of fill. I would assume mostly a midrange speaker.

mlstrass
06-25-2007, 03:56 PM
I'd just run some coax's with bass blockers off the HU then. If you fade them properly they won't take away from the front stage.

I run my rear fill amp off a toggle switch, so it's only on when I want it loud. At lower volumes it does pull the stage back, but I have the gains on the rear amp set up to play loud. Once I get to volume 20-22 on my HU then the rears just make the front stage sound fuller/louder.

mlstrass
06-25-2007, 03:59 PM
Get a set of coaxs that match your fronts and start experimenting and see if you like it...

xtremekustomz
06-25-2007, 05:24 PM
Everyone I'm looking for some decent 6.5" rear fill speakers, my budget is ~$60. I've been looking on Zaph Audio review at brands such as Dayton, Ascendant, and Peerless, but I'm not sure where I can purchase these and which to buy. Anyone feel free to chirp-in. They will be getting ~50 watts in a 4ohm load.

I'm also looking for feedback on 2.5 -3" mids for the front stage to be mounted in the kickpanels (need shallow depth). Again they will be powered 50watts in 4ohm load.

thanks

I guess I'll be the first "Nazi" to chime in LOL You can purchase some of the name brands youre mentioned from madisound.com and some others from partsexpress.com I think those are the correct addresses. As for rear fill...I wouldn't spend too much money on it. I know some people like to have it but if your system is setup right it can create the surround effect with just having mids up front. I don't know how much you are wanting to spend on some mids for the kick panels but Hybrid Audio makes a really good 3" midrange that can play from 140hz-10000hz. They can be bought from here: http://www.hybrid-audio.com/legatia_individual_drivers.htm Also Dynaudio, Morel, and a few others have really awesome dome midranges but they can't play frequencies very low. I'm hoping you are planning on using a midbass alot with the small midrange as well.

armstrong
06-25-2007, 11:16 PM
bump

maxazor
06-26-2007, 12:07 PM
I going to go with the Dayton Reference 52 3" mids...I hear they are outstanding...I'm going to put the rear fill idea on the backburner until I hear how the front stage is. If I find I need a little bit more, I purchase some Seas. Thanks for the feedback.