PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Germaniums vs. Rainbow Power Line CS Pictures

headless
06-23-2007, 08:37 PM
So i just upgraded to the power line CS and still have my Germaniums sitting here. I was impressed by just how big of a difference in there is between the two, so took a couple pics. Check it out..

http://headless.shackspace.com/GermPowerlineCS2.jpg
http://headless.shackspace.com/GermPowerlineCS1.jpg

ngsm13
06-23-2007, 08:43 PM
Snaps.

nG

PremierAudio
06-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Enjoy. They are ****** drivers after the break in.

G00SE
06-24-2007, 11:50 AM
How much did u pay for them? and how are they compared to the germs.

slick rick
06-24-2007, 12:24 PM
wow...had no idea those mids eclipse our Germs by THAT much...enjoy em. :)

mendon99
06-24-2007, 12:31 PM
****, they really dwarf them.

dkmesa
06-24-2007, 12:45 PM
I believe the germs were just immasculated. PM me if they need a new home now

headless
06-24-2007, 05:22 PM
I bought them used - i believe the retail on this set is ~1299$.
The germs do need a new home, but they are without mounting hardware for the tweets and plastic grill mounts for the woofer's grills, so i'm having a bit of trouble arranging a sale. :)

I made the MDF rings necessary to make these *****es fit today. Turned out 1.25 inch was thick enough, didn't need a full 1.5 inch. I'm pretty sure that i am going to need to cut a bigass hole in my interior plastic door panel to make these fit :D i'm looking forward to brutalizing my car in the name of better sound. I'll let you know how they sound. Bought ~190$ of dynamat extreme for my doors today.

DejaWiz
06-24-2007, 06:24 PM
I made the MDF rings necessary to make these *****es fit today. Turned out 1.25 inch was thick enough, didn't need a full 1.5 inch. I'm pretty sure that i am going to need to cut a bigass hole in my interior plastic door panel to make these fit :D i'm looking forward to brutalizing my car in the name of better sound. I'll let you know how they sound. Bought ~190$ of dynamat extreme for my doors today.

So you going to give us a pictoral worklog or what? :naughty:

headless
06-24-2007, 06:42 PM
Fuuucckkk yeeaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh
but i'm a ****ing nub so **** is gonna be ghettofied moderately. You might remember me from such great work threads as 'germaniums in 1999 camry' where i...removed the plastic **** the stock speakers were mounted to, then bolted the germaniums to the metal doorframe. OH yeah. Phear the ****ing pro install.

This time i'm going to do it a bit better ;) i'm kinda forced to since the door panel is highly visible and i'd have to be a ****ing ******* to put 1300$ speakers in without at least making an attempt at deadening and sealing off the door space. Of course, some would argue my dumbassity far before now in how i installed the germaniums. ;)

Kid Red
06-24-2007, 07:21 PM
PremierAudio - Did you get my PM or email?

3.5Max6spd
06-24-2007, 07:35 PM
That is one sexxy side profile of those CS drivers:)

PremierAudio
06-24-2007, 09:41 PM
negative on the PM kid red.

CrazedCat
06-24-2007, 09:54 PM
Man that's BEEFY

whitemax
06-24-2007, 10:13 PM
Nice shots :)

headless
06-24-2007, 10:13 PM
BEEEEEFFFYYYY they are, yes.
I've got the first MDF ring set clamped to the door while the liquid nails sets. Will do the second door tommorrow at lunch...then it's just a matter of cleaning the doors up and installing the dynamat. It was actually a lot of fun cutting out the mdf today - my brother brought over his jig saw and we used a scroll saw to cut a 15degree bevel on the assembly. I'm pretty sure the mdf ring will be partially visible poking through my plastic door panel (which i am going to butcher :D) so i'm going to carpet the rings after they installed.

It's funny, when i first got the germanium's i was comparing them to some other 6.5's i'd seen (polk momo's come to mind, among others) and was impressed by how beefy they were relative to them. Holding the power line CS woofers next to the germanium's makes the germaniums feel like cheap imitations. I can't wait to get these ****ers installed. I got the crossovers installed and hooked up tonight and tested them free air... color me excited.

Kid Red
06-24-2007, 10:25 PM
negative on the PM kid red.

Sent you another one. You get my emails?

Kid Red
06-25-2007, 08:24 AM
The CS is sweeter than the Germs, but both are sweet. I can't wait to get my lowly SLC265s (ahem PremierAudio :) )

headless
06-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Couldn't sleep last night, so i went ahead and got the other doors' MDF rings affixed. Should be able to go get screws & the right sized drill bit today at lunch and get these suckers ready to rock and roll. Just gotta get the deadening installed now. Somehow, i think i am going to **** badly at installing that stuff - i never could wrap a present worth a ****.

CrazedCat
06-25-2007, 11:11 AM
Couldn't sleep last night, so i went ahead and got the other doors' MDF rings affixed. Should be able to go get screws & the right sized drill bit today at lunch and get these suckers ready to rock and roll. Just gotta get the deadening installed now. Somehow, i think i am going to **** badly at installing that stuff - i never could wrap a present worth a ****.

picsssssssss

konechiwa
06-25-2007, 11:31 AM
shoulda bought the germs when i had a chance. Oh well, maybe for a graduation present for myself.

whitemax your avatar is awesome. AWESOME.

but those are some beefy drivers. you rich bastard! why does everything have to be so expensive? i hate being a high schooler... who buys his own stuff I thank you.

but those will kick some serious ***. congrats.

headless
06-25-2007, 03:29 PM
Drilled the holes and mounted those ****ers at lunch. OH my ****ing god. These ****ers are ungodly and i was unprepared for them.

I am going to have to buy more dynamat :( It's so funny bringing the crossover down from 80/12 to 80/18, 63/12, 63/18 and hearing the door rattle itself to pieces.

These woofers have so much more throw than my germaniums that it isn't even funny and the germaniums were no slouch... I had the germs tweaked up slightly around 100 and 125 hz - the power line sounded muddy with the same tweakage as they are ungodly from the get-go in that freq range and needed no boost.

Amusingly, the MDF spacers had to be so thick that there is literally half a mm of clearance between the speaker's flange and my dashboard. It's so close i thought that the woofer was hitting the dash when the door was closed until i got a flashlight behind it so i could see the light shining between the two. Talk about a close call/tight fit. I want to take a sander to the rings and angle the drivers slightly towards me..it'd pull it away from the dash slightly too.

tmoney
06-25-2007, 06:19 PM
so they sound good are wat.

headless
06-25-2007, 06:27 PM
They are impressive thus far - but my doors don't even have door panels on them yet :) I'll let you know what i think when i get the dynamat in and seal the door up some.

tmoney
06-25-2007, 06:32 PM
They are impressive thus far - but my doors don't even have door panels on them yet :) I'll let you know what i think when i get the dynamat in and seal the door up some.

good deal

headless
06-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Spent a bit of time tweaking tonight - the tweeters were way too quiet on either the ref or -3b setting, so i've got them set to +6db on the x-over. There is a significant improvement in clarity at high volumes with these tweeters compared to the cal-25's.

The woofers are likewise impressive - they conflict so badly with my sub at the same x-over points i was using with the germaniums that i'm going to have to lower my x-over point on the sub from 80hz to 63hz or even 50hz so they don't overpower it. I've officially found the limit to how far a Punch 100 on a single ported 10" CVR can take you. These can easily drown out that 10 - they get so loud while staying crystal clear that i have to shove my head in the back seat to hear the subwoofer trying it's ****dest to keep up. I'm going to have to tweak my whole setup around that poor subwoofer...I can see the trend now...2x320w on the fronts, now i need 2 10s or 2 12's to keep up and about 800-1000w instead of 300w. **** i'm glad i ran a second run of 4ga to the trunk when i installed that 4150xxk. It's funny, lowering the x-over below ~80hz right now is totally pointless without 2 people sitting in the car to press on the metal door panels, because the doors buzz and rattle so loudly that it cancels out any benefit having those freqs up front gives. I'm going to start on deadening and sealing the doors up tommorrow.

It's really quite an interesting change, it feels strange having so many low frequencies in my face and up front - i've become used to having everything from ~80hz and down coming from behind me with some bleed over above that point.

headless
06-27-2007, 02:07 AM
Here are the pics i promised of the speakers mounted on the MDF rings...i'm going to carpet the rings as they poke out so far that they will clear the door panel easily...

I wish i could angle the drivers towards me. Anyone have any input on how to do so? Should i just sand the rings at an angle? I think i have clearance for maybe 15 degrees of angling as far as the hole in the door and width of the rings is concerned..
http://headless.shackspace.com/PowerlineCSInstalled1.JPG
http://headless.shackspace.com/PowerlineCSInstalled2.JPG

DejaWiz
06-27-2007, 10:01 AM
If you want to angle the drivers, you could angle the mouting surface of the MDF rings... if you have the clearance.

whitemax
06-28-2007, 04:21 AM
whitemax your avatar is awesome. AWESOME.

Thank you sir :D

headless
06-28-2007, 11:49 AM
The blue lighting on the CD7000 is so bright it blinds me at night :-P I had to go with the green ;)

I'm starting on the door deadening today - cleaning off the door interior.

Latina33
06-28-2007, 12:49 PM
The CS is sweeter than the Germs, but both are sweet. I can't wait to get my lowly SLC265s (ahem PremierAudio :) )

Hey man, they're not THAT lowly! I've got a set of 265 Kicks paired up with a single 12, and they sound SWEET to me! :cool: You'll really enjoy them once you get them broken in a little.

headless
07-01-2007, 10:53 PM
I am ****ing satiated. These speakers do everything I want and more. They can utterly drown my ported CVR 10. They appear to be more efficient than my germaniums judging from volume produced vs. light dimming amount. I got the dynamat on the doors today, but didn't have quite enough to cover every square inch of the interior metal...i did, however, get all the holes sealed up with it - and it was more than worth it. I don't think i could ever find any reason to replace these speakers. I'm floored. These produce excessive volume all the way down to 50hz while still producing exceedingly clear sound in the midbass and midrange frequencies, and i am totally in love with the cal-27 tweets - excessively smooth and detailed, even less harsh than the cal-25's and yet able to get considerably louder without any perceived harshness all the way up until it just hurts because it's so freakin loud. You can tell it's clear if you stand outside the car and listen but inside it's painful. Next up, i've got to get the door panels deadened a bit and get those put back on after cutting holes for the rainbows to poke out of as they extrude way too far off the door to fit inside the stock door panels. Pics of the ghetto partial dynamat install tommorrow. It's pretty amazing what a difference only ~10 square foot per door makes.

slick rick
07-02-2007, 02:58 AM
Glad you love em...wish you deadened the doors with the Germs in though...but I wanna hear those beefy mids!

headless
07-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Yeah, I'm curious how much of a difference it would've made with the Germaniums...but i can even see visually that these speakers are dominating the low end compared to the germaniums. There's really no comparison; the power line destroyed the germaniums even in the stock door - it was just even more obvious that they needed deadening to sound good due to the amount of vibration these can generate at the lower frequencies compared to the germs.

I went hunting on rainbow's website - it looks like the power line CS woofers are the deepest mounting woofers in the entire rainbow line. Even the platinum 2-ways & reference 2-ways mount 12mm shallower than the power line CS woofers.

3.5Max6spd
07-02-2007, 01:15 PM
Yeah, I'm curious how much of a difference it would've made with the Germaniums...but i can even see visually that these speakers are dominating the low end compared to the germaniums. There's really no comparison; the power line destroyed the germaniums even in the stock door - it was just even more obvious that they needed deadening to sound good due to the amount of vibration these can generate at the lower frequencies compared to the germs.

I went hunting on rainbow's website - it looks like the power line CS woofers are the deepest mounting woofers in the entire rainbow line. Even the platinum 2-ways & reference 2-ways mount 12mm shallower than the power line CS woofers.

The Powerline mid woofer shares basket/motor with the Vanadium 7" SUBwoofer:naughty:

DejaWiz
07-02-2007, 02:16 PM
The Powerline mid woofer shares basket/motor with the Vanadium 7" SUBwoofer:naughty:

:naughty: :yumyum: :cool: :yumyum: :cool: :yumyum: :cool: :naughty:

headless
07-02-2007, 02:24 PM
Wow - so i wonder what the differences really are between the vanadium 7" subwoofer and the power line CS woofer, if they share the same motor and basket...

DejaWiz
07-02-2007, 02:38 PM
Differences in the T/S Parms.

Vanadium Subs (http://car.rainbow-audio.de/products/technical.php?lan=2&pro=2&lin=13)

PL CS Mids (http://car.rainbow-audio.de/files/dynamic/downloads/rainbow_tsp_woofers_en.pdf) (Woofer 175 - Page 6)

hannibal05
07-02-2007, 07:32 PM
And this set runs?????????

DejaWiz
07-02-2007, 07:38 PM
And this set runs?????????

Just shy of $1000 from dealers on this forum.

CrazedCat
07-02-2007, 10:56 PM
awaiting ghettoinstall.jpg ;)

Flipx99
07-02-2007, 11:00 PM
What do you think about the tweeters? I bought mines seperate to mate with the profi-kick.

I am still trying to find a good angle for mines.

headless
07-03-2007, 12:53 AM
The tweets were very quiet on my set until i set them to the +6DB setting on the crossovers. I've got the driver side about 30 degrees off axis pointing at the passenger headrest and the passenger side pointed almost directly on axis to the driver. They are a good distance from the woofers, so i have both tweeters phase reversed relative to their woofers. I had the x-overs set to the default 18db/2.3khz crossover point but found that with the phase reversed they sound incredible with the modified 12db slope jumper on the passives. I wish they documented exactly what the difference was between the two settings. Anyway, currently, I find them to be much smoother/less harsh than the cal-25's that I replaced with them....they get insanely loud though :D I haven't got the mounts for them made yet...so i've got the mother****ers taped to the a pillar wif electrical tape. Phear.

headless
07-03-2007, 01:23 AM
As promised...ghetto install pics:

http://headless.shackspace.com/Ghetto01.JPG
Didn't have enough to cover the whole door...got the outer skin of the door solidly covered though, so i can add more to the interior of the door as needed..
http://headless.shackspace.com/Ghetto02.JPG
Check out the elite electrical tape install yo.
http://headless.shackspace.com/Ghetto03.JPG
Awww yeah.
http://headless.shackspace.com/Ghetto04.JPG
Believe it or not, there is some clearance between that speaker and the dashboard, lol.

brypink
07-04-2007, 08:16 AM
Well, I'm glad you like them and they arrived ok. I sure do miss them. :crap:

Captain_Ahab
07-04-2007, 05:19 PM
I love the install..hah

I also love reading the excellent reviews.Wish someone around here had some components close to that quality I could listen to.

headless
11-03-2008, 10:23 AM
Well, I've paid off the car! So I finally got my door panels put on yesterday. Had to cut fairly beastly holes in the door panels to make them fit over the power line CS woofers. I'm going to get some rubber gromet and try it to see if they look OK just lined with gromet...otherwise i'll have to fabricate something more elaborate to round out the holes. Do you guys generally just use fiberglass for that type of stuff? I'll take some pics at lunch break. Still got the tweets attached with velcro :)

tuomas
11-03-2008, 11:05 AM
As promised...ghetto install pics:

http://headless.shackspace.com/Ghetto02.JPG
Check out the elite electrical tape install yo.

Why don't you fiberglass a piece of PVC to the panel its taped to. Wouldn't be that hard, people have done it with just body filler and sanded it down and painted and looked great!

headless
11-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Sounds like a good idea. I've got zero experience with fiberglassing so haven't fabricated mounts yet. By body filler do you mean something like bondo?

headless
11-03-2008, 04:06 PM
Here are pics of my vicious hacking with a dremel. Any suggestions on how to pretty this up beyond a gromet and some carpeting on the exposed MDF? I'm going to sand the edges smooth and so they have equal clearance on all sides - i'm just wondering if I can actually re-build some structure to tighten up the gap where i over-cut.

http://headless.shackspace.com/PowerlineCS DoorPanelsLeft.jpg
http://headless.shackspace.com/PowerlineCS DoorPanelsRight1.jpg
http://headless.shackspace.com/PowerlineCS DoorPanelsRight2.jpg
http://headless.shackspace.com/PowerlineCS DoorPanelsRight3.jpg