PDA

View Full Version : HELP Computer Geniouses and Electronics Wiz's

kotec123
06-23-2007, 04:09 PM
This May Stump You!

1. Im looking for a laptop that has a video and audio INPUT.

2. Furthermore im looking to use those INPUTS to play a PLAYSTATION 3 through that laptop (ie. use the screen and speakers).

3. Is there an accessory that will give me this ability. I need it to be in REAL time. As i heard some T.V tuners lag a bit.
Or can i just use a TV tuner?

im lost
Thanks in advance for the help.

kotec123
06-23-2007, 04:46 PM
noone knows about computers?

shortyg83
06-23-2007, 04:54 PM
it will not be in realtime. there is always a small lag on tuners of any type in a computer. a built in video in will norm give you less of a lag. And just so you know high speed games with tend to blur a bit with shadows

kotec123
06-23-2007, 04:55 PM
i heard some guy named Dshiznit (sp?) of something like that builds computers and such? anyone else ?

shortyg83
06-23-2007, 05:04 PM
what is your budget for the laptop ill check some prices out for ya if ya want

kotec123
06-23-2007, 05:04 PM
it will not be in realtime. there is always a small lag on tuners of any type in a computer. a built in video in will norm give you less of a lag. And just so you know high speed games with tend to blur a bit with shadows

yea but which laptop can do this?????

2 g's and under

lilmaniac2
06-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Im guessing your wanting this for a mobile video? Not sure what purpose it would serve. If i knew what you were wanting to do I may be able to help

kotec123
06-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Im guessing your wanting this for a mobile video? Not sure what purpose it would serve. If i knew what you were wanting to do I may be able to help

if you look at da first post....number 2 says it...i wanna use it as YES a mobile screen to play my playstation 3 on and use the laptop speakers to get the sound from the ps3.

Pl8er
06-23-2007, 05:11 PM
Asus' XG Station <----not sure it would do it 100% but it looks neat ;)

http://shopper.cnet.com/tv-tuner-adapters/turtle-beach-video-advantage/4014-9332_9-31295004.html?ar=o

That would give you inputs to both.

Did you want it all internally?

dvrmstrng
06-23-2007, 05:12 PM
just get a nice monitor that has built in speakers

Ku-sama
06-23-2007, 05:13 PM
I would help, but no one mentioned my name...

kotec123
06-23-2007, 05:14 PM
doesnt matter if its internally of external, but tv tuner cards lag ( from what i was told ), and playing online on the ps3 i cannot haave any sort of lag.

ty for the idea tho

kotec123
06-23-2007, 05:20 PM
just get a nice monitor that has built in speakers

Yea i thought about it, but me having no money stands in the way.

Ku-Sama can you help?

lilmaniac2
06-23-2007, 05:20 PM
why would you want to run it like that tho. Seems to me a tv or a monitor w/ dvi input would work better?

kotec123
06-23-2007, 05:22 PM
why would you want to run it like that tho. Seems to me a tv or a monitor w/ dvi input would work better?

Because im going to college? and I have no money to afford a new TV?
but i DO need a laptop, so why not kill 2 birds wt one stone

kotec123
06-23-2007, 05:31 PM
anyone?

pensacol
06-23-2007, 05:43 PM
Tuner cards have lag, but anything going into a computer has lag, only because it has to go in, then be processed and rendered. But with the right laptop, and you can play without enough lag to be noticed and definatly play your PS3 online. I build custom PC's like this every day and could get you exactly what you are looking for. Drop me a line, and I will give you some suggestions.

shortyg83
06-23-2007, 06:01 PM
http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Aurora_m9700/aurora-m_specs.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AURORA-M-9700&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT#pdp-nav

one of the options is to add tv tuner and video coax in

Ku-sama
06-23-2007, 08:27 PM
Ku-Sama can you help?

I can, but j00 gotta ask nicely

kotec123
06-23-2007, 11:59 PM
Ku-Sama i would greatly appreciate your help, and would love if you would share some of your thoughts with me and your fellow caraudio forum members. Thanks in advance.
PS. i will do ANYTHING (wink wink) for help
lol

kotec123
06-24-2007, 12:00 AM
http://www.alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Aurora_m9700/aurora-m_specs.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AURORA-M-9700&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT#pdp-nav

one of the options is to add tv tuner and video coax in

i contacted them and they say the lag would be pretty big, and it wouldnt be worth doing

95ZJ
06-24-2007, 12:30 AM
For what you're wanting to do, it's going to be nearly impossible to do in your price range. I recommend you focus on school, and not be so worried about your PS3.

kotec123
06-24-2007, 01:07 AM
For what you're wanting to do, it's going to be nearly impossible to do in your price range. I recommend you focus on school, and not be so worried about your PS3.

haha ok thanks

kotec123
06-24-2007, 04:02 AM
cant b done then i guess??

.::DuD3::.
06-25-2007, 05:43 AM
The PS3 has hdmi inputs doesn't it? I guess you could dvi -> hdmi to connect it to the PS3 if the laptop has dvi connections. I don't know if it would work or not correctly.

I know on my pc, my video card drivers allow me to switch displays (I have my tv connected to my computer) from my monitor to the tv instantly, but I don't know if it would work the same way with a PS3.

Amalan
06-25-2007, 05:56 AM
why dont you buy an external screen for your ps3? just buy one that plugs into the cigarette adapter/wall adapter. if you dont plan on playing ps3 in the car then i can only assume you plan to play it during class. if thats the case then thats a no no, like said above focus on your school work lol.

nosaj070
06-30-2007, 01:27 AM
This is easy. You can spend 2k on a laptop? How about you spend 1300 then buy a flat panel? Playing PS3 on a laptop screen would ****, and i don't care what any idiot here tells you, playing something through a tv tuner is going to lag regardless of how fast your computer is. you may not notice it just watching a video, but trying and playing any game you will notice before you go through the menus. Buy a tv.

Ku-sama
06-30-2007, 01:30 AM
This is easy. You can spend 2k on a laptop? How about you spend 1300 then buy a flat panel? Playing PS3 on a laptop screen would ****, and i don't care what any idiot here tells you, playing something through a tv tuner is going to lag regardless of how fast your computer is. you may not notice it just watching a video, but trying and playing any game you will notice before you go through the menus. Buy a tv.

that and that horrid ghosting problem with laptop screens....

phyphoestilic
06-30-2007, 01:33 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Gamebridge-AVC-1400-USB-Cnct-Xbox/dp/B000DLBAFU

as long as the laptop has USB2.0 that will work fine. I have the AVC1410 which lets me attach a TV antenna to it as well. So I play my PS2 and watch TV from my comp now. In real time.

Amalan
06-30-2007, 01:34 AM

yes a 1300 flat panel is very portable... just toss that into your backpack. i think he wants a video card cause he wants something portable. they dont make a screen for the ps3 yet like they have for the ps2

hempy
06-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Just find a CRT TV for about $100. Any laptop screen is going to be pretty small, and quite large tv's can be had for cheap. Craigslist would be a good place to look, as well as your local newspaper. Then you still have 18-1900 for a laptop. Just my .02

And why would he want a portable ps3?? That's just asking for trouble.

nosaj070
06-30-2007, 01:39 AM
yes a 1300 flat panel is very portable... just toss that into your backpack. i think he wants a video card cause he wants something portable. they dont make a screen for the ps3 yet like they have for the ps2

The type of people this board attracts never ceases to amaze me. From what I've gathered he never mentioned portability. Not to mention, how portable is PS3 anyway? The thing is pretty **** big. Then how do you plug it in? Ok in a car get a power inverter, alright, then you need to hold a controller with a laptop sitting on your lap and when the car turns what do you do? He is looking at this for a college dorm room because he said he doesn't have the money to buy a TV. I suggested a TV because if you havn't been living in a hole for the past 3 years, a flat panel doesn't cost anything anymore (50 inch plasma is under a grand). Not to mention playing games on a laptop via a tv tuner *****, which has already been verified by numerous people, including alienware.

Amalan
06-30-2007, 02:23 AM
yeah youre right the people that are attracted on this board cease to amaze me also. maybe you dont realize that 1300 dollars for a college student doesnt grow on trees. if you work for minimum wage 1300 dollars can take a really long time to earn. i think he wants a simple cheap alternative thats immediate and wont cost him a shitload of money. its not as simple as oh its only 1300 dollars big deal just pick one up. playing your laptop in the car is really not that hard... i play video games on my laptop all the time on long trips and ive played ps2 on a tv on a long trip also and it really was not bad at all. unless your driver plans on driving like jeff gordan i dont think you should worry about losing balance and end up dying on level 24 when the driver makes a turn. i think he wants a tv but if you dont work that often and pay for your own gas and food and bills, earning up enough money for a plasma could take years. he wants something cheap, effective and immediate.
also plasmas in a dorm room is a retarded idea. plasmas run really really hot and will turn the dorm room into an oven so unless you want a sauna as a dorm i wouldnt suggest getting a plasma for a small dorm room. lcd would be the way to go. and i already suggested that he gets a small lcd tv maybe like a 20in one that can be portable and used in the car too if he wants something portable.

nosaj070
06-30-2007, 10:52 AM
yeah youre right the people that are attracted on this board cease to amaze me also.

The people attracted to this board stopped amazing you? Also?

maybe you dont realize that 1300 dollars for a college student doesnt grow on trees. if you work for minimum wage 1300 dollars can take a really long time to earn.

When did I ever mention 1300 dollars, read over this thread. I said for the sake of argument that you can get a 50 inch plasma for under 1000 dollars.

i think he wants a simple cheap alternative thats immediate and wont cost him a shitload of money. its not as simple as oh its only 1300 dollars big deal just pick one up.

I know you can't write, but can you not read either? He said he has 2 grand to spend on a laptop. 2000 Dollars on a laptop is complete overkill unless you are using it as a portable gaming system (Or you get a MacBook Pro :)), even then its not really worth it. I suggested that he spend 1000 dollars on a laptop, or hell, spend 1600 on a laptop, then get a TV with the remaining money.

playing your laptop in the car is really not that hard... i play video games on my laptop all the time on long trips and ive played ps2 on a tv on a long trip also and it really was not bad at all. unless your driver plans on driving like jeff gordan i dont think you should worry about losing balance and end up dying on level 24 when the driver makes a turn.

Next time you get in a car, put a laptop on your lap, and don't touch it. Its not hard playing games on a laptop when your hands are touching the keyboard holding the thing on. As far as your comment about a car tv, that is flat out irrelevant and really doesn't make sense.

i think he wants a tv but if you dont work that often and pay for your own gas and food and bills, earning up enough money for a plasma could take years. he wants something cheap, effective nd immediate.

Thats true, a few hundred dollars doesn't grow on a tree. But apparantly he has a pretty nice $2000 tree somewhere in his backyard because he has it to spend on a laptop. Cut the f'ing tree in a few pieces, then spend it.

also plasmas in a dorm room is a retarded idea. plasmas run really really hot and will turn the dorm room into an oven so unless you want a sauna as a dorm i wouldnt suggest getting a plasma for a small dorm room. lcd would be the way to go. and i already suggested that he gets a small lcd tv maybe like a 20in one that can be portable and used in the car too if he wants something portable.

Once again the reference to a 50 inch plasma was simply for example. Yes you are right plasma's get hot, LCD's get very hot too, mine heats up my living room. But now you are back on this portability thing, he wanted something for his laptop so he could play PS3 in his room without a tv, not so he could play it in the car.

ARSkemp
07-05-2007, 12:21 AM
If you have 2 grand to spend you should be able to get a pretty good laptop for 1600 and a nice monitor/tv (which will probably be larger than the laptop screen) w/the other $400

like others said, almost all tuners whether they be built into the laptop or not, will have some sort of lag. w/fast paced games like first-person shooters the lag may get very annoying.

edit:
i didn't notice that noja said the same thing :)