PDA

View Full Version : Moved this, factory speaker replacement

ace_800
06-21-2007, 11:29 AM
My wife has a toyota with 6.5 in the front door and tweets in the A piler which are blown and need replaced. So I am going to pickup a pair of comps or coax, whatever she decides. Now without an amp I am trying to remember how I can go about hooking them up.

Can I, with comps, just replace each speaker without the xover. Doesn't sound right.

Or

With Coax, just use the current 6.5 speaker wire and cut or remove the tweeter.

Or am i going about this the wrong way. Thanks

Ku-sama
06-21-2007, 11:34 AM
just grab some cheaper comps and wire them without the crossover.... I'm sure since she was blaring stock loud enough to blow them, then she prolly won't notice the difference with the crossover, plus you can sell the crossovers on ebay for a couple of bucks if you wanted to....

just buy the comps, use the stock wiring, no crossovers

ace_800
06-21-2007, 11:38 AM
And if she gets coax?

DejaWiz
06-21-2007, 12:05 PM
If she gets coax, then you'll have to make sure a full range signal is getting to them. You'll have to bypass the factory crossovers, which may be in an amp.

ace_800
06-21-2007, 01:12 PM
I don't believe it has factory xovers and I know it doesn't have an amp, so just combining the wires and running them to the coax should work correct.

DejaWiz
06-21-2007, 01:35 PM
If the speaker power source is the HU and the HU has separate wires protruding for both mids and tweeters, you shouldn't combine them... that can present the HU's internal amps with an impedance it's not designed to handle.