PDA

View Full Version : 6 watts of power to a speaker...

Hercules
06-21-2007, 11:20 AM
Hey all,

I bought a Parrot Bluetooth kit... I want to use the 'center' speaker in my car as the output for it. The Parrot kit has a 6 watt amplifier that can power a speaker -- I wanted to use my center, since it runs at 4 ohms and fits there perfectly.

Let me know what you guys think.. much obliged for any ideas.

Prowler573
06-21-2007, 11:23 AM
How efficient is the speaker you're wanting to drive with 6 watts?

If it is a highly efficient driver then 6 watts may be more than enough for you to hear your callers' voices.

If a highly inefficient speaker you might simply be pissing into the wind :crap:

Hercules
06-21-2007, 11:27 AM
It's from my Bose system... nothing special but it is 4 ohm which is exactly what the Parrot puts out with 6 watts @ 4 ohms.

frzninvt
06-21-2007, 11:51 AM
The Bose speaker will be inefficient you need a speaker with an efficiency of at least 90db or higher.

Hercules
06-21-2007, 01:03 PM
How do I find out how efficient a speaker might be?

I bought this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-zvdnXJ6fied/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=280050&I=33370003S&search=parrot

But it doesn't list anything, and isn't exactly a 'perfect fit' for the center I have now. Looking at the wiring, it's just a positive and negative to the speaker so I can put anything I want on the included harness.... shouldn't be a big deal.

Let me know! :)

helotaxi
06-21-2007, 10:10 PM
The Bose speaker will be inefficient you need a speaker with an efficiency of at least 90db or higher.

It's an OEM speaker. Exactly the opposite is usually true. Paper cone. Small motor. Really efficient. Really ******. Perfect for a phone reapeater cause it isn't worth using for anything else.

6 watts on average is all you're running to your front speakers anyway.

bk12321
06-21-2007, 10:14 PM
I used to have 1 watt going to each of the 2 labtec speakers I had for my computer, and they got plenty loud but they werent exactly what you would consider "SQ" speakers ;)

helotaxi
06-22-2007, 08:12 PM
Neither is Bose.

buildmeabox
06-22-2007, 10:52 PM
helotaxi
Quote:
Originally Posted by frzninvt View Post

It's an OEM speaker. Exactly the opposite is usually true. Paper cone. Small motor. Really efficient. Really ******. Perfect for a phone reapeater cause it isn't worth using for anything else.

6 watts on average is all you're running to your front speakers anyway.

What's with the hate? Paper cones have been one of the most popular speaker cone materials for decades, and with good reason. Paper cones are lightweight, rigid, and non-resonant. Woofer cones need to be more rigid because their task is to reproduce strong bass notes. Paper tends to responds quicker than other materials. The best test of speaker quality is your own ears...

T3mpest
06-22-2007, 11:22 PM
What's with the hate? Paper cones have been one of the most popular speaker cone materials for decades, and with good reason. Paper cones are lightweight, rigid, and non-resonant. Woofer cones need to be more rigid because their task is to reproduce strong bass notes. Paper tends to responds quicker than other materials. The best test of speaker quality is your own ears...

he wasn't saying anything bad about paper cones in general. He simply said due to their lightweight it'd probably be effecient, albeit crappy since it's oem bose

helotaxi
06-23-2007, 09:11 AM
^^^Pretty much what he said.

Bose speakers ****. Putting them in a car and calling it a premium system and charging a premium price is a sham. Without the massive amounts of EQing built into the system they would be totally unlistenable. As it is, they're only marginally better than the basic system and 2x as hard to replace with something better.

Nothing at all inherently wrong with a paper cone. In the proper application a good paper cone driver sounds just fine. My point is that the Bose drivers are not good paper cone drivers.