PDA

View Full Version : Fiberglass vs. Wood

thumpin s10
02-23-2003, 06:26 AM
Hey all. what are the advantages of fiberglass to wood? is it just better looking or does it improve the sound quality? Thanks

subdude
02-23-2003, 11:21 AM
Fiberglass is easier to form curves, shapes & build into less than square areas and you can also paint or gelcoat the finished box. Wood is easier & faster to work with but you are limited to angles in building. As for the sound difference, boxes made Properly for the peticular application with either material will produce the same results.Most Fiberglass boxes are made with both materials anyway.

evo2k3
02-23-2003, 12:09 PM
Most Fiberglass boxes are made with both materials anyway.

um....no now really.....mabey an original frame that is removed, but even at that more people use wire frames for kicks and such. Fiberglass just allows you to take care of those curves, no huge differences in the sound of them, but a few minor ones to exist.

subdude
02-23-2003, 12:36 PM
um....no now really.....mabey an original frame that is removed, but even at that more people use wire frames for kicks and such

I thought we were talking about boxes
I haven't seen too many fiberglass boxes with no wood used in the fabrication at all.

Most Fiberglass boxes are made with both materials anyway.

evo2k3
02-23-2003, 07:16 PM
I have seen plenty...i guess in only sub boxes you see a lot of wood baffles mounted to glass......other than that the whole idea of figerglass is to go where wood cant :)