PDA

View Full Version : How is this going to sound????

spoonraker
06-20-2007, 08:11 PM
Ok well I was putting together my box for my 15'' Fi Q and I made a mistake :suicide:

The plan was originally a bit less than 3.5 cubic feet at roughly 33Hz

I accidentally mounted the port on the front instead of the bottom of the box. It was glued, screwed, and set before I realized my mistake. Luckily for me the box was still salvageable. I had to adjust the port width to 4.5'' instead of 4, and it is now 1.75'' taller. I had to make shims, it was a pain in the ***.

Anyway, after all is said and done, the box is going to now be roughly 2.4 cubic feet and tuned somewhere higher closer to 35/36hz.

Is this going to just sound terrible? I'm pretty new to box building so I don't really know how profound or what type of effect this is going to have on the sound.

It's going to be getting 1200W in a trunk car, port/sub both firing towards the bumper

spoonraker
06-21-2007, 01:10 AM
anybody?

Trixter
06-22-2007, 02:14 PM
it won't sound bad...it will get loud

spoonraker
06-22-2007, 06:23 PM
I decided to just completely rebuild it with a fresh design. The box would work but I'm a perfectionist and having a box that isn't perfectly aligned and has a half inch shim around the top just bugs me.

So now I guess I'm wondering what the ideal box for a 15'' Fi Q would be? You said it'll be loud with my screwed up box, was it the slightly higher tuning or the smaller airspace that is causing that? Combination?

I want a good mix of SPL and SQ, so I don't want to tune to 50Hz+ and be a one note wonder, but 28 which most people recommend for straight SQ seems just a little bit low. Fi recommends 28-33, which is why I initially chose 33.

As for the airspace I really don't know what that does to the sound. Fi recommends between 2-4 cubic feet, and I just kind of chose 3.5 for no real reason. Anybody care to explain what sort of an effect a smaller or lager box has on a subwoofer?

AltarCrystal
06-22-2007, 10:13 PM
I decided to just completely rebuild it with a fresh design. The box would work but I'm a perfectionist and having a box that isn't perfectly aligned and has a half inch shim around the top just bugs me.

So now I guess I'm wondering what the ideal box for a 15'' Fi Q would be? You said it'll be loud with my screwed up box, was it the slightly higher tuning or the smaller airspace that is causing that? Combination?

I want a good mix of SPL and SQ, so I don't want to tune to 50Hz+ and be a one note wonder, but 28 which most people recommend for straight SQ seems just a little bit low. Fi recommends 28-33, which is why I initially chose 33.

As for the airspace I really don't know what that does to the sound. Fi recommends between 2-4 cubic feet, and I just kind of chose 3.5 for no real reason. Anybody care to explain what sort of an effect a smaller or lager box has on a subwoofer?

I've heard Q's sound best at 32

regal8r
06-22-2007, 10:20 PM
i would go 3.5-4.5cf for a Q15, the tuning is fine.

BTW, i would like to hear this beast. i talked to you a while ago on AIM about carputers n ****.

spoonraker
06-22-2007, 11:08 PM
I'll be sure to take some vids and snap lots of pictures, I should have it making noise by next friday at the latest. I think I'll stick with 3.5 cubes and go down to 32hz

it's gonna be getting ~1200W from an Autotek SX1200X

Also my aim is spoon1487, feel free to message me, I won't be on tonight, but I'm usually on most nights pretty late

azbass
06-22-2007, 11:09 PM
like poo. start all over

iagrdshaka
06-23-2007, 05:50 AM
3 cu ft @31hz after displacement worked for me

gave it roughly 1500 RMS

mlstrass
06-23-2007, 01:09 PM
I did 3.5^3 @32Hz for the GF's car. Very good SQL box I think, you'll be happy with those specs...