PDA

View Full Version : how hard is it to build a wall?

trunks9_us
06-20-2007, 07:07 AM
as stated how hard is it is it different from a box?

Can i use my back seats and the trunks as the whole box?

My futue plan in about 1 yr form now is to build a wall with 6 jbl w12gti's and 2 9.0s for the powering. This is still in discussion for me but its a idea to build a wall in my toyota echo so i can scare everyone lol. It would be cool to have a family car sedan all pimped out u know.

Blunt
06-20-2007, 07:08 AM
if you have to ask don't do it.

trunks9_us
06-20-2007, 07:11 AM
well i am getting a shop to build it i just wanna know how hard it is

hoss
06-20-2007, 07:27 AM
i would definitly agree with blunt...

and why would you have a shop do it? i hope this isnt for competition, because if it is i can almost guaruntee that you will not be taking home any trophies. and if it is just for daily, why...

trunks9_us
06-20-2007, 07:33 AM
I have a shop to do it cause the obvious that i dont know how to build boxes and why would i not be bringing home trophies??? And this is for daily and competition what wrong with building a wall?

i would definitly agree with blunt...

and why would you have a shop do it? i hope this isnt for competition, because if it is i can almost guaruntee that you will not be taking home any trophies. and if it is just for daily, why...

hoss
06-20-2007, 07:40 AM
theres nothing wrong with building a wall, but you cant simply build a wall and expect to be loud...

competitors who wall of their vehicles spend hours, days, weeks tuning their installs to get the most out of them, and i am most certain that a shop is not going to be this dedicated to a customers vehicle. not to mention that daily and competition are not going to give the same results... you are either going to be dissapointed with it as daily, or your scores are going to suffer.

one piece of advice that was offered to me when i was first getting into stereos and competing, was to start low (stock classes), and work your way up. i asked some of my friends that were big into competing to help me build a wall, and all refused on the account that if i wanted to compete, i was going to get spanked, as they dont have the time to commit to helping me fine tune the stereo.

in all honesty, you are going to get much more out of learning to build boxes, learning the science behind everything, and working your way up from the bottom. if you just want to be loud and dont care about knowing anything, then having a wall built for you is fine, but be prepared that you are going to be shocked when you find how much the wall is going to change your daily driver... be prepared that it is going to add somewhere between 600-1000 pounds to your car, your car is going to be slower than all hell, your gas mileage is going to drop to an awfully low and probably dissapointing number... and this is before you beef up your electrical system :)

trunks9_us
06-20-2007, 07:51 AM
well i drive a toyota echo a fuel economy car its alrdy slow as hell 108 hp. And the shop i send it to will spend time on it they are a good shop. Ive seen this shop spend 4 months on a car for what they did for it so they do spend time on there ****. I am not competiting for spl exactly but more or less just to have a really loud system and blow ppl away. Also like the looks i get form ppl. I will be competiting at spl comps but for fun nothing else. MOst ppl think that just b/c you put alot of power into a car automatically means your competiting but some ppl just like to do it you know. I dont wanna learn how to build a box until i get my own house to do it at. Why will my gas mileage decrease? I am just wanting a very loud car heh or i should say sedan.

trunks9_us
06-20-2007, 07:52 AM
I also am thinking 5 kinetik 2400s with a ohio gen alternator my alternator only goes up to 160 amps so yea... 5 2400s though should make up for it u know. cause as you know i will not always use all the power. maybe thats to many battery ill know sooner or later though what i wanna do as far as batteries go.

Blunt
06-20-2007, 07:53 AM
your gas mileage will decrease cause you will add almost 1k lbs in wood alone. then more batteries. plus the weight of the subs and amps. 108hp isn't going to like that very much.

trunks9_us
06-20-2007, 07:55 AM
heh ill be driving like a hybrid heh oh well i plan on doing a few lil performance upgrades like exhaust k&n maybe headers. lil ****.

trunks9_us
06-20-2007, 07:55 AM
well since its 108 hp its not going to destroy my car is it>?

hoss
06-20-2007, 08:03 AM
ill put it this way, with that little power, i would expect your top speed to be limited to probably about 65 mph.

and whatever kind of fuel economy you are getting now, cut it in half... then cut that down again when you upgrade your alt

trunks9_us
06-20-2007, 08:07 AM
I SEE SO YOUR SAYING I SHOULD JUST STICK WITH MY 3 12'S THEN AND wait till i get a tahoe then i can build bigger for spl and **** i guess i will have to wait till i get out of college oh well thx for advice though i dont want to lose all of that glad to know this before hand before i did it.

hoss
06-20-2007, 08:09 AM
im not trying just to destroy your hopes for your stereo :)

like i said, i was in the same boat when i was first getting into stereos, i wanted a wall really bad, but i was luckily talked out of it.

if you arent going to compete, then really, a wall isnt neccisary. you can just do a really big trunk install, and i think you will be more than happy with the results. and yeah, i do understand that some people just like to do it even though they arent competing (i have 8 12"s in my daily driver, its not made for competing, so yeah, i understand this point of view :D ).

if you have to be visually big in order to be percieved as loud, its just a cry for attention... if you can be loud without drawing attention to yourself before hand, its much more impressive :) . people cant see my stereo if they are looking in the windows of my truck, but the second some jackass pulls up to me at a light and thinks he has the loudest stereo around, he has another thing coming :)

hoss
06-20-2007, 08:14 AM
I SEE SO YOUR SAYING I SHOULD JUST STICK WITH MY 3 12'S THEN AND wait till i get a tahoe then i can build bigger for spl and **** i guess i will have to wait till i get out of college oh well thx for advice though i dont want to lose all of that glad to know this before hand before i did it.

its not to say that you have to wait neccisarily :) . its just that there are alot of things that people dont neccisarily consider, or think about and its very easy to get in over your head (been there myself several times, actually, nearly every day :p: ).

one of the most beneficial things is just learning about it all. learn some of the sciences of box building (port area, tuning, box volume, aerodynamics, and how all of this works together), and you can do some pretty amazing things for yourself, and you dont have to actually build any boxes to learn any of this stuff.

my advice, take some of the money that you would have spent having the shop build the wall, and buy some tools and try some box building on your own :) . I know you said you wanted to wait until you had your own house, but you really dont need to, as long as you have somewhere you can cut some wood. and if you are interested in learning more about it, there is a great book called The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, by Vance Dickison. It has alot to teach and I found it to be a pretty good read :)

trunks9_us
06-20-2007, 08:14 AM
lol most def. I just wish i was not a college student still oh well i really want to go all out crazy on a system but i cant cause i am poor i guess as long as a have one zapco 9.0 in a sealed box with 3 jbl 12 gtis it should be loud enough i alrdy got almost the whole car extreme dynamated still have the floor to do which my **** comes in today and then i have some dynapad on the way as well i am hoping to not get rattle any more. I mean i am putting bulk kit in a half in the trunk alone. with 24 ft of dynapad I wish i could do ported but i cant cause its to small of a trunk.

im not trying just to destroy your hopes for your stereo :)

like i said, i was in the same boat when i was first getting into stereos, i wanted a wall really bad, but i was luckily talked out of it.

if you arent going to compete, then really, a wall isnt neccisary. you can just do a really big trunk install, and i think you will be more than happy with the results. and yeah, i do understand that some people just like to do it even though they arent competing (i have 8 12"s in my daily driver, its not made for competing, so yeah, i understand this point of view :D ).

if you have to be visually big in order to be percieved as loud, its just a cry for attention... if you can be loud without drawing attention to yourself before hand, its much more impressive :) . people cant see my stereo if they are looking in the windows of my truck, but the second some jackass pulls up to me at a light and thinks he has the loudest stereo around, he has another thing coming :)

trunks9_us
06-20-2007, 08:16 AM
thx i will be buying this book to learn things then.

its not to say that you have to wait neccisarily :) . its just that there are alot of things that people dont neccisarily consider, or think about and its very easy to get in over your head (been there myself several times, actually, nearly every day :p: ).

one of the most beneficial things is just learning about it all. learn some of the sciences of box building (port area, tuning, box volume, aerodynamics, and how all of this works together), and you can do some pretty amazing things for yourself, and you dont have to actually build any boxes to learn any of this stuff.

my advice, take some of the money that you would have spent having the shop build the wall, and buy some tools and try some box building on your own :) . I know you said you wanted to wait until you had your own house, but you really dont need to, as long as you have somewhere you can cut some wood. and if you are interested in learning more about it, there is a great book called The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook, by Vance Dickison. It has alot to teach and I found it to be a pretty good read :)

twisztdauthorit
06-20-2007, 10:05 AM
well i drive a toyota echo a fuel economy car its alrdy slow as hell 108 hp. And the shop i send it to will spend time on it they are a good shop. Ive seen this shop spend 4 months on a car for what they did for it so they do spend time on there ****. I am not competiting for spl exactly but more or less just to have a really loud system and blow ppl away. Also like the looks i get form ppl. I will be competiting at spl comps but for fun nothing else. MOst ppl think that just b/c you put alot of power into a car automatically means your competiting but some ppl just like to do it you know. I dont wanna learn how to build a box until i get my own house to do it at. Why will my gas mileage decrease? I am just wanting a very loud car heh or i should say sedan.

You don't deserve looks from other people if you didn't build it yourself.. so learn, practice, experiment, and do it yourself... Its much more rewarding that way.

bdawson72
06-20-2007, 11:03 AM
if you have to ask don't do it.

agreed

hoss
06-20-2007, 11:38 AM
agreed

ever tried reading the rest of the thread before you replied? :p:

and trunks, hopefully you will find the read as interesting as i did :) . it can get a bit technical at times, but after reading it i learned alot about speakers, boxes, and how things work together in audio systems :)

mikey060
06-20-2007, 11:55 AM
Great info hoss:) way to actually help him out and not just flame lol

and i msut agree on doing a big trunk install. i was considering walling my car off for my 18 but then i realized how much more impressive it would be to have a loud system that people cant see, unlike a wall. and it was well worth the many hours designing and of course building. the look on ricers faces as they are at a stoplight beating on the stereo is priceless when i drive by. they look at me like "holy ****" lol. or when someone cuts you off or something and they are stuck at a redlight you get nice and close up behind them and let it wang. i did it to this douche who almost rearended me as i was switching lanes. trying to show off the mighty power if his ****** integra to his girlfriend lol. anyways at the light i turned it right up and as he was wanging his stereo they both started looking around. it was great :laugh: