PDA

View Full Version : will a hd upconvert dvd player look much better than my 360?

bamaboy
06-15-2007, 10:31 PM
well i have my 360 for games/movies, but i was wondering, will a cheap ~50$ hd upconverting dvd player look any/much better than my 360 which i believe only does progressive scan

i just dont want to spend the money for hdmi cable and the dvd player and it not really do anything better

:confused:

1loudsuv
06-15-2007, 10:40 PM
No

bamaboy
06-15-2007, 10:56 PM
not even a little bit?

:(

docutech
06-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Do you have a xbox360 HD dvd player?

if yes, than dont waste your money on a upconvert

1loudsuv
06-15-2007, 11:04 PM
nope especially a $50 one. the hdmi cable at walmart is $30!

save up your money and get a better upconverting player or an hd dvd or blu ray player.

about $200 is all you need for the upconverting player or hd dvd and blu ray about $500

1loudsuv
06-15-2007, 11:05 PM
Do you have a xbox360 HD dvd player?

if yes, than dont waste your money on a upconvert

the hd dvd add on is to expensive imo you can pick up a standalone player now for about $50 more and get 5 movies free.

unless he can get the hd dvd add on for $100 then its worth it.

bamaboy
06-15-2007, 11:07 PM
does the 360 hd dvd upconvert standard dvd's?

1loudsuv
06-15-2007, 11:13 PM
does the 360 hd dvd upconvert standard dvd's?
Nope, But if your using vga the 360 does.

With upconversion your not gonna get a whole lot better picture with dvd. just a tad and thats with a $200 one. noticeble yes but IMO not worth it especially since you already have the 360.

Dunno if you have a ps3? but that upconverts dvd's really good now from what I am hearing. I dont use mines for dvd's though so I cant really comment on that.

MrSwiss
06-15-2007, 11:17 PM
first of all u cant get a hd dvd player for 50$, for 500$ yes.

and ebay an hdmi cable its much cheaper.

1loudsuv
06-15-2007, 11:20 PM
first of all u cant get a hd dvd player for 50$, for 500$ yes.

and ebay an hdmi cable its much cheaper.
They where just on special the other day for $200, look below on the thread I made and they still sell for $240 ish on amazon. with 5 free hd dvds so pretty much your paying $90 for the player...

$500 your thinking blu ray. Which isn't any improvement over hd dvd as far as sound quality and picture quality goes.

For $50 he will not see an improvement in picture quality over his 360.

1loudsuv
06-15-2007, 11:24 PM
oh yah I have owned a cheap upconverting dvd player the samsung 860hd and the 360, the 360 has better picture quality.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a23/subingncali/e9248608.jpg

the dude
06-16-2007, 12:10 AM
If you are thinking the one on special with the free movies actually puts out 1080p that would be incorrect. In order to get a hddvd player that actually plays movies in full high definition you are looking at about $500, except for the xbox add on but without an hdmi unless you have the elite it will not look nearly as good as the stand alone hddvd players and more than likely even with the elite. Blu-ray will look considerably better than the hddvd toshiba a2 because it can actually play 1080p as where the a20 now that may be a different story but thats the one with the $500 price tag. Did you hook up your 360 and upconvert player with the same kind of cables? The ps3 came out with an update that it now upconverts to 1080p which whill look good but its still not in its native resolution so it wont look good as true 1080p.

1loudsuv
06-16-2007, 12:37 AM
If you are thinking the one on special with the free movies actually puts out 1080p that would be incorrect. In order to get a hddvd player that actually plays movies in full high definition you are looking at about $500, except for the xbox add on but without an hdmi unless you have the elite it will not look nearly as good as the stand alone hddvd players and more than likely even with the elite. Blu-ray will look considerably better than the hddvd toshiba a2 because it can actually play 1080p as where the a20 now that may be a different story but thats the one with the $500 price tag. Did you hook up your 360 and upconvert player with the same kind of cables? The ps3 came out with an update that it now upconverts to 1080p which whill look good but its still not in its native resolution so it wont look good as true 1080p.

Way misinformed.....

Their is no such thing as "full hd" thats just what sony likes to call it. to hype up 1080p. (Notice how sony is the only one to use it on their products)

Their is no difference in picture quality between 1080i and 1080p if the source material is 1080p. (the disc) which hd dvd is and blu ray. cause a good display which is almost any will deinterlace the signal to 1080p which is what most 1080p players do internally so its really no different.

http://www.hometheatermag.com/gearworks/1106gear/

http://chris.pirillo.com/2006/04/28/1080p-vs-1080i/

Now if the source is 1080i and you have a display that is bigger then 60" then you will see a slight difference in picture quality with 1080i vs 1080p.

If your hard headed and dont believe me well you can always pick up the a20 for $380.

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HD-A20-1080p-DVD-Player/dp/B000MKC34E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7970732-6071121?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1181969787&sr=1-1

which is still cheaper then ANY new blu ray player, plus you get the 5 free movies which puts it at $230 just for the player.

Pickler
06-16-2007, 12:43 AM
www.monoprice.com

best site EVER for buying an kind of cables

the dude
06-16-2007, 09:10 AM
So you are trying to say that when the player deinterlaces a movie and puts it back together that it will look as good as something in its native resolution. I dont really think thats true. Obviously there is a difference between 1080i and 1080p. Sony isnt the only one to use 1080p. Seeming as telelvision companies toshiba, samsung, lg, sony, pioneer and more are all using 1080p. Thats like trying to say there is no difference between 480p and 480i. Yes there is a difference. If you are trying to say it is getting harder to tell the difference then yes. Deinterlacing is what upconversion is. Take a 1080p player that upconverts to 1080p and pop in a dvd and then take a 1080p disc if you think that the picture on a 1080p disc wont look better then i dont know what you are thinking or you are not sitting at the correct distance to take advantage of the picture. I would still probably get a blu-ray player just for the fact that they almost have every movie company backing them. It is looking good for blu-ray. It also depends on the television you have. If you have a ****** 1080p television then there will not be a very big difference. Just because it says 1080p like the sony rear projections doesnt mean its true 1080p. I dont know about you but it would only make sense that something that is in its natural form is going to look better than when its deinterlaced. Kind of the reason why we use hdmi because it is uncompressed and not broken down.

the dude
06-16-2007, 10:54 AM
Is that you that wants to get the 1080p projector over in the HDTV's ..... what do you have thread? If i was you i would save some money and just get one capable of 1080i because there is no difference anyways.

1loudsuv
06-16-2007, 01:11 PM
Is that you that wants to get the 1080p projector over in the HDTV's ..... what do you have thread? If i was you i would save some money and just get one capable of 1080i because there is no difference anyways.

LOL Dont be a sarcastic :suicide:
We are talking about the players not the displays....

I own a 1080p set.

I have both the hd a2 1080i and the ps3 which is 1080p
Their is NO difference in picture quality between teh both no matter how close I get or how much i zoom in.

Since you know so much do you own all three? 1080i player and 1080p player and set?

Plus read the links I gave you or is it that hard? their is NO difference in picture quality from 1080i to 1080p if the disc is 1080p. Which is explained in the links.

But if you want to believe their is then picking up the HD a20 from amazon at $347 and you get 5 free movies.

So you are paying $197 for the player alone. The cheapest new blu ray player is $500...

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HD-A20-1080p-DVD-Player/dp/B000MKC34E/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7970732-6071121?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1181969787&sr=1-1

1loudsuv
06-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Sony isnt the only one to use 1080p. Seeming as telelvision companies toshiba, samsung, lg, sony, pioneer and more are all using 1080p.
No duh captain obvious :laugh:

You used the word "FULL HD"

I said sony is the only one to use the word "FULL HD" cause its their way of hyping up 1080p.

would still probably get a blu-ray player just for the fact that they almost have every movie company backing them. It is looking good for blu-ray.

Dang dude do you work for sony?
you do know that they are laying off people cause ps3 sales are way below expectations,
ps3 is the only thing keeping them afloat. do YOU also know their is more hd dvd movies coming and that fox and disney have delayed ALL their titles. with no dates whatsoever

theirs even more new releases and catalog titles coming to hd dvd then blu ray

sony did later say that the ps3 had nothing to due wtih the layoffs after they said they did...

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=115448
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=856401

2kchevy06civic
09-13-2007, 02:39 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread but I'm trying to decide what I want.

Ok let me give you the reasons as to why I'm having a tough time deciding what I want to buy, between a ps3 or an xbox 360. Ok, I originally wanted a ps3 because the possibility of playing guitar hero 1/2 and when three comes out. Those are the ONLY GAMES I am interested in(atm), I just figure why not get the latest technology instead of old. But now it's come to the Blu-ray player via the ps3 or the HD player via the xbox 360. So they are both able to play 1080p? Basically I just want to get the best for my parents sony xbr3(I believe it's this tv http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11040753)

But hey if I can get an xbox 360 for cheaper and upgrade to the hd player later I might as well just buy the xbox 360 right? HD space is not a factor for me, I will not be downloading things from either companies sites, that's what my computer is for. Does this all sound ok or am I looking at this all wrong?

Imtjnotu
09-13-2007, 02:40 AM
No duh captain obvious :laugh:

You used the word "FULL HD"

I said sony is the only one to use the word "FULL HD" cause its their way of hyping up 1080p.

Dang dude do you work for sony?
you do know that they are laying off people cause ps3 sales are way below expectations,
ps3 is the only thing keeping them afloat. do YOU also know their is more hd dvd movies coming and that fox and disney have delayed ALL their titles. with no dates whatsoever

theirs even more new releases and catalog titles coming to hd dvd then blu ray

sony did later say that the ps3 had nothing to due wtih the layoffs after they said they did...

http://www.gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=115448
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=856401
u seem like one of those losers that floats around gaming forums calling ppl cows and sheep

Scoobydoo
09-13-2007, 02:46 AM
you know what kicks ***?

x264

2kchevy06civic
09-13-2007, 02:47 AM
hey I bumped this thread so you could answer my question!!!! :laugh: :laugh:

Scoobydoo
09-13-2007, 02:50 AM
sorry i cant help, i play x264 HD movies on my pc

300 in 720p with DTS sound pretty much kicked ***

2kchevy06civic
09-13-2007, 02:52 AM
sorry i cant help, i play x264 HD movies on my pc

300 in 720p with DTS sound pretty much kicked ***

I bet!

joetama
09-13-2007, 06:51 AM

Ok let me give you the reasons as to why I'm having a tough time deciding what I want to buy, between a ps3 or an xbox 360. Ok, I originally wanted a ps3 because the possibility of playing guitar hero 1/2 and when three comes out. Those are the ONLY GAMES I am interested in(atm), I just figure why not get the latest technology instead of old. But now it's come to the Blu-ray player via the ps3 or the HD player via the xbox 360. So they are both able to play 1080p? Basically I just want to get the best for my parents sony xbr3(I believe it's this tv http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=11040753)

But hey if I can get an xbox 360 for cheaper and upgrade to the hd player later I might as well just buy the xbox 360 right? HD space is not a factor for me, I will not be downloading things from either companies sites, that's what my computer is for. Does this all sound ok or am I looking at this all wrong?

Xbox 360 with the HD-DVD drive is a awful player, compared to stand alone (higher quality not the cheap) players.

The PS3 is one of the best Blue-Ray Players. Just as good as almost any Blue-Ray Player... :fyi:

I would go PS3. But, then again I am not a gamer.

u seem like one of those losers that floats around gaming forums calling ppl cows and sheep

:laugh:

I think everyone is starting to hate him....

I have him on my ignore list because he is super annoying, and doesn't ever listen to anyone but himself... :fyi:

joetama
09-13-2007, 07:32 AM
Oh BTW, Slony is running a deal right now that you can get up to 7 free BR movies with a purchase... :fyi:

1loudsuv
09-13-2007, 10:42 AM
I have him on my ignore list because he is super annoying, and doesn't ever listen to anyone but himself... :fyi:

Why would I listen to nobody's :confused: ya you have me on ignore but yet you responded to my thread on "Is this loud enough" :rolleyes:

Guy probably works cleaning toilets at southwest airlines :suicide:

I don't even know what joetema is doing answering a question on high def when you have never even owned either player :confused: or are you gonna start to theorize again and say what is better then what without even testing/owning it :rolleyes:

1loudsuv
09-13-2007, 10:51 AM

ps3

pros
fastest loading blu ray players
should be able to upgrade to the new 1.1 java
you get to watch spidy come the holidays
it decodes truehd internally and can send it over as pcm to your receiver so you get full use of the audio and video signal (if our receiver is capable of pcm audio through hdmi)

con's
noisy *** hell
uses about 200 watts compared to other dvd player which use 20 watts
no infared control.
very few games out yet
cant download movies via the psn network

xbox 360
fast loading
you get to watch transforomers on october 16
tons of games
can download movies (rent)

con's
no truehd decoding you only get dts 1.5 out of truehd which is still good but not lossless
ring of death lol but they got 3 year warranty now
also noisy but the ps3 is noisier if the ps3 is on the final fan speed

all in all if you dont have an hdmi receiver then dont worry about truehd, just look at which movies/games you like best and get that system, both are good and both have cons

Oh ya you got to be very carefull with blu ray disc's they are harder to scratch then hd dvd but even the smallest scratch almost always makes them unplayable and unrepairable. Even then at first HD DVD was having more problems but they have worked out most all the bugs with firmware updates for all the players. Both are about equal as far as problems go now.

joetama
09-13-2007, 11:14 AM
Why would I listen to nobody's :confused: ya you have me on ignore but yet you responded to my thread on "Is this loud enough"

Guy probably works cleaning toilets at southwest airlines

I don't even know what joetema is doing answering a question on high def when you have never even owned either player or are you gonna start to theorize again and say what is better then what without even testing/owning it

:laugh:

You know I don't clean toilets at Southwest Airlines, that is a job for an illegal. Duh, You should know that more than anyone... ;)

You really are an r-tard. I'm glad I clicked view post so I could laugh at you a little more... :laugh: :naughty:;):fro::smokin:

1loudsuv
09-13-2007, 11:25 AM
You really are an r-tard. I'm glad I clicked view post so I could laugh at you a little more... :laugh: :naughty:;):fro::smokin:

r-tard whose the one who responded with the noob answer "oh sony has up to 7 free movie" and with all your know it all thats all ou can do :confused: I didn't even mention HD DVD has 5 free movies for any toshiba HD player you buy.. They had an xbox bunles with 8 free movies just a while back.

joetama
09-13-2007, 11:46 AM
I know Toshiba give you 5 free...(Sometimes someplace, and have you seen their list (GOWD AWFUL MOVIES))

I don't care about Xbox 360 because it is an AWFUL player...

The first player that has quality near the cheapest sony is the Toshiba A20... Which isn't that much cheaper than the BR Player when you factor in the 2 extra movies... Actually if I get it at BB I get 5 with the BR and 2 with the HD-DVD so it is 3 extra movies.

I won't post links but see if you can find that when you do your searching... Because it is on forums you seem to quote. You just have to do a little looking past the end of your brown nose... :fyi:

:fyi:

1loudsuv
09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
I know Toshiba give you 5 free...(Sometimes someplace, and have you seen their list (GOWD AWFUL MOVIES))

The guy is not gonna buy movies you like :rolleyes:
The guy didn't even ask what movies are available he is just talking about hardware..

I don't care about Xbox 360 because it is an AWFUL player...
Have you owned the xbox or the ps3? or just cause you played one at a friends house or was "window shopping" and you didn't like it?

What makes it such an awful player?

Specifics please the guy asked for that

The first player that has quality near the cheapest sony is the Toshiba A20... Which isn't that much cheaper than the BR Player when you factor in the 2 extra movies... Actually if I get it at BB I get 5 with the BR and 2 with the HD-DVD so it is 3 extra movies.
How do 2 movies cost $200? cause that is the price difference at amazon

I won't post links but see if you can find that when you do your searching... Because it is on forums you seem to quote. You just have to do a little looking past the end of your brown nose... :fyi:

:fyi:

Brown nose I own both what do you own??oh yah zilch nada..... and never have...

I am starting to see what kind of person you are, someone asks whats good and bad about certain products but like a best buy idiot you throw in your opinion without any hard facts.

btw here is the links to the 5 free movies from toshiba and the 5 free movies from sony and the both cheapest player. fyi 1080i vs 1080p is the same if the source is the same.(disc)

Your post are useless. YOU have yet to post any links or hard data or any informative. other then 7 free movies.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/hddvd/data/pdf/Toshiba_Online_Rebate_R08.pdf

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-HD-A2-HD-DVD-Player/dp/B000IJV4BC/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-7970732-6071121?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189699056&sr=8-1

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=280

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-BDP-S300-1080p-Blu-ray-Player/dp/B000PALZE0/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-7970732-6071121?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1189699091&sr=1-2

Oh ya I remember seeing that blu ray had 7 free movies but I cant seem to find it, at best buy you get 7 for any toshiba hd player

http://www.bestbuy.com/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat130500050008&type=category

1loudsuv
09-13-2007, 12:27 PM
Oh ya all the specs are finalized for hd dvd which include pip and online interactive and many more features

Blu ray isnt. New profiles are coming in the future so what you buy now if you want to utilize all the features of a blu ray disc in the future you will have to buy a new player.

joetama
09-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Seriously... Please stop posting on the entire Forum...

No one cares...

2kchevy06civic
09-13-2007, 01:03 PM
Hey thanks for the input guys even though you are each others throats. :laugh:

I think I'll go with the ps3 because the reason I even started looking at console systems was because of guitar hero. I'll just buy a ps3 :woot: I'll look at blu rays website later today and see the list of movies they have available.

ngsm13
09-13-2007, 01:57 PM
www.monoprice.com (http://www.monoprice.com)

best site EVER for buying an kind of cables

Nope.

www.firefold.com (coupon code: OTPRIDE)

The site is amazing, quick shipping, and cheap prices.

nG

2kchevy06civic
09-13-2007, 03:39 PM
dude this package deal right here is were it's at. You get the remote and you can get 5 blu ray movies? Hell yeah that's what I'm talking about!!!!!

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=5303673#

Randy Savage
09-13-2007, 03:55 PM
Umm....360 has Guitar Hero, does it not :confused:

joetama
09-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Hey thanks for the input guys even though you are each others throats. :laugh:

I think I'll go with the ps3 because the reason I even started looking at console systems was because of guitar hero. I'll just buy a ps3 :woot: I'll look at blu rays website later today and see the list of movies they have available.

Check where you buy it to make sure you get the movies... :fyi:

2kchevy06civic
09-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Umm....360 has Guitar Hero, does it not :confused:

it doesn't have the original that I've found anyways but yes it does have guitar hero II. I couldn't find the 80's guitar hero game either for xbox. However, guitar hero III will be coming out on xbox 360.

Check where you buy it to make sure you get the movies...

it's offered by blu-ray.com so should it really matter were I buy it from? I mean it's an honest question, no pun intended.

Randy Savage
09-13-2007, 04:01 PM
Ah, ok. Never got into the Guitar Hero thing.

joetama
09-13-2007, 04:08 PM
it doesn't have the original that I've found anyways but yes it does have guitar hero II. I couldn't find the 80's guitar hero game either for xbox. However, guitar hero III will be coming out on xbox 360.

it's offered by blu-ray.com so should it really matter were I buy it from? I mean it's an honest question, no pun intended.

Just making sure... ;)

2kchevy06civic
09-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Ah, ok. Never got into the Guitar Hero thing.

I am t3h addicted :fyi: :fyi:

Just making sure... ;)

<3 ;)

joetama
09-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Never played GH.... Pretty fun I take it?

ballstothewall
09-13-2007, 04:58 PM

Eh, its ok. Fun game, but nothing I could get addicted to. I'd much rather play Gears of War or Halo or something.

On the topic of up converts, I'm glad no-one has mentioned the Oppo so far.

2kchevy06civic
09-13-2007, 05:00 PM

well being as how I haven't liked console games since Dreamcast I'd say it's a pretty fun game. Then again I actually play guitar so maybe that has something to do with it too. Plus it's really really challenging to me once I get up to the "Hard" level. I haven't ever tried expert because really I'm not that perfect on "hard" difficulty.

ballstothewall
09-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Being able to beat the game on Expert means you have absolutely no life.... *aka, my roommate*

joetama
09-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Eh, its ok. Fun game, but nothing I could get addicted to. I'd much rather play Gears of War or Halo or something.

On the topic of up converts, I'm glad no-one has mentioned the Oppo so far.

Why you want to buy one?

ballstothewall
09-13-2007, 05:10 PM
No, I have the high end Oppo, its not that great actually.

joetama
09-13-2007, 05:19 PM
No, I have the high end Oppo, its not that great actually.

My DV-59avi at 480p look better... :fyi:

ballstothewall
09-13-2007, 05:28 PM
My DV-59avi at 480p look better... :fyi:

Considering it costs, what 4x as much as I got mine for....

Plus the **** thing is bigger than my fricking amps.

1loudsuv
09-13-2007, 05:53 PM
Considering it costs, what 4x as much as I got mine for....

Plus the **** thing is bigger than my fricking amps.

His even gone as far as saying that his setup playing a dvd looks better then mine playing hd dvd or blu ray :crazy: I wouldnt doubt that his looks better at 480 with a dvd vs dvd but not with high def media I wonder if his set is isf calibrated like mines. I wonder if he will also say his setup looks better then my projection setup at the new house using a jvc rs1, I wouldn't doubt it :uhoh: I am still trying to figure out if getting a new receiver is worth it, I am very interested in the denon 4308. Dunno if I should get that or the rotel 1095 again, but I hate buying things twice....