PDA

View Full Version : Who makes a good midrange...

onefastsi
06-15-2007, 09:25 PM
I'm in need of a mid, 2-4", SHALLOW mount! anyone make a good quality/high end piece?

Thanks guys!

squeak9798
06-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Lots of people.

Need more details.

Budget?

Power?

Depth?

Intended frequency range?

How do you plan to cross it over; active or passive?

onefastsi
06-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Budget: I'd rather not spend $400 a set....but....depends on what I'm getting

Power: 100x2 peak

Depth: SHALLOW! Less than 2" for sure. way less if possible

Range: Upper mids. In a 3 way setup, it will be seeing the upper mid band just below the tweeter.

Passive, for now, til I get a new source unit.

squeak9798
06-16-2007, 09:42 AM
Power: 100x2 peak

Is that the peak power or the RMS of your amplifier?

Range: Upper mids. In a 3 way setup, it will be seeing the upper mid band just below the tweeter.

More detail is needed as that's the general range any midrange in a 3-way will play.

How low in frequency you do need it to extend? 500hz? 200hz?

How high in frequency do you need it to extend? 2.5khz? 4khz? 7khz?

Passive, for now, til I get a new source unit.

What passive crossover?

What impedance driver will you need? If you are using a prebuilt passive crossover, then you must use a driver with the impedance the crossover was designed for.

What other drivers are you using?

Louisiana_CRX
06-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Earthquake has a really good set of shallow 6.5 midbass ...I have an extra set if interested...just PM me

xtremekustomz
06-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Check out the Legatia L3

http://www.hybrid-audio.com/legatia_individual_drivers.htm

onefastsi
06-16-2007, 11:15 AM
I was considering CDT's 2.75" mid and the Dynadio MD142.

I have a 100x2 elemental amp.

Low end is about 500k
High end is about 2.5k

I'm using CDT's 3 way xover network for the ES components. I'm using CDT's stagefront kit, and 2 way HD's now...switching to ES in a 3 way setup.

xtremekustomz
06-16-2007, 12:23 PM
The frequency response of the L3 is 140-10000hz. It was designed to be used as a point source midrange driver. They Dyn's sound wonderful but won't play very low. I've actually got the System 360 with the MW170, MD140, and the MD100's but I'm only using the 8's out of the set now. The problem with putting a midrange up high that won't play very low is that vocals and other tones (drums...etc...) that are directional will be brought down to wherever your midbass is. The dyns were actually made to be used in a kick panel and pretty much completely off axis if I'm not mistaken. You could probably put them in your kicks firing towards each other and not take up any room at all.

xtremekustomz
06-16-2007, 12:23 PM
The frequency response of the L3 is 140-10000hz. It was designed to be used as a point source midrange driver. They Dyn's sound wonderful but won't play very low. I've actually got the System 360 with the MW170, MD140, and the MD100's but I'm only using the 8's out of the set now. The problem with putting a midrange up high that won't play very low is that vocals and other tones (drums...etc...) that are directional will be brought down to wherever your midbass is. The dyns were actually made to be used in a kick panel and pretty much completely off axis if I'm not mistaken. You could probably put them in your kicks firing towards each other and not take up any room at all. That would keep the mid close to the midbass as well.

onefastsi
06-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Actually, i'm using them in the kicks. Thanks for the info!

MiniVanMan
06-16-2007, 02:54 PM
First that's a tiny amount of bandwidth you're asking the midrange driver to play. I'm a bit confused about that. One of the benefits of a 3-way is to dedicated one driver to the frequencies most prominent to human hearing. That's about 250 hz to about 4-5khz. To have 2 crossover points right in the middle of that bandwidth is pretty counterproductive. That's especially true in a car where mounting locations can have as much impact on how a driver sounds as crossover points, and power supplied.

However, a driver that will integrate very well into any CDT makes is this.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=153&products_id=1117

Unfortunately the true strengths of this driver will not be realized because of what was stated above. The same is true with the Legatia somebody mentioned.

I think you'd be just as well off just building a 2-way with a crossover point of 2.5 khz than complicating it with another driver, and crossover at 500 hz as well. Like I said, it's pretty counterproductive at that point.

onefastsi
06-16-2007, 03:53 PM
First that's a tiny amount of bandwidth you're asking the midrange driver to play. I'm a bit confused about that. One of the benefits of a 3-way is to dedicated one driver to the frequencies most prominent to human hearing. That's about 250 hz to about 4-5khz. To have 2 crossover points right in the middle of that bandwidth is pretty counterproductive. That's especially true in a car where mounting locations can have as much impact on how a driver sounds as crossover points, and power supplied.

However, a driver that will integrate very well into any CDT makes is this.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=153&products_id=1117

Unfortunately the true strengths of this driver will not be realized because of what was stated above. The same is true with the Legatia somebody mentioned.

I think you'd be just as well off just building a 2-way with a crossover point of 2.5 khz than complicating it with another driver, and crossover at 500 hz as well. Like I said, it's pretty counterproductive at that point.

That's where it's playing! I typed it wrong, or you misread it...but I'm doing just what you are saying with it! :)

MiniVanMan
06-16-2007, 03:59 PM
That's where it's playing! I typed it wrong, or you misread it...but I'm doing just what you are saying with it! :)

So, it will be playing from 250 hz to about 4-5khz (or above), or 500-2.5kzh? One of your posts suggests the second. That's why I'm confused.

xtremekustomz
06-16-2007, 04:16 PM
I personally run my midbass from 50-160hz, midrange from 160-6.3k and my tweets from 6.3khz and up. I'm thinking what he was talking about when he said 500 hz was the Dyn driver. I've heard of people running them lower than 500hz but really 600hz is the safe place.

onefastsi
06-16-2007, 04:36 PM
So, it will be playing from 250 hz to about 4-5khz (or above), or 500-2.5kzh? One of your posts suggests the second. That's why I'm confused.

500 and up... :) or so......

MiniVanMan
06-16-2007, 05:37 PM
Well, I'll stick to my original suggestion of the Vifa MG10. That or you can spend $250.00 for the CDT ES series drivers that look eerily similar.... and sound, well, ummm, let's just say, very close. :naughty:

onefastsi
06-16-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, I'll stick to my original suggestion of the Vifa MG10. That or you can spend $250.00 for the CDT ES series drivers that look eerily similar.... and sound, well, ummm, let's just say, very close. :naughty:

LOL...well, I do have the 3 way ES series that will be going into the car. I'm using CDT's HD set now. I have 4" drivers, ES, and they are a bit deep for what I want. The 3's will be about 1.5" or so...44.4mm, so that might be too deep as well. I'm thinking Dynaudio's or maybe one of the mid tweets CDT makes.

I emailed Ken from CDT to see what they have to offer. I'm supposed to call him next week.

Thanks!

Hoodlum007
06-16-2007, 10:55 PM
Dyn FTW!!

Flipx99
06-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Keep in mind that dynaudio is 8 ohms.

DLS and Morel also have great offerings in the 3" dome market.

However this discussion about having a midrange play 600 - 2.5k or so makes me worry I may have made a poor decision.

Haven't bought the midranges yet, but have bought the crossover to make it work.

xtremekustomz
06-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Keep in mind that dynaudio is 8 ohms.

DLS and Morel also have great offerings in the 3" dome market.

However this discussion about having a midrange play 600 - 2.5k or so makes me worry I may have made a poor decision.

Haven't bought the midranges yet, but have bought the crossover to make it work.

It is funny that you mentioned the frequency range of 600 hz because I just got out and changed out my 4" cone midrange with my Dyn MD140 and I found something a little interesting. I know you aren't supposed to run them very low but.....I've been playing around with them and like the sound alot better. Hebrew Hammer, didn't you have some MD140's at one time? What frequency did you run them at?

Flipx99
06-18-2007, 07:47 PM
It is funny that you mentioned the frequency range of 600 hz because I just got out and changed out my 4" cone midrange with my Dyn MD140 and I found something a little interesting. I know you aren't supposed to run them very low but.....I've been playing around with them and like the sound alot better. Hebrew Hammer, didn't you have some MD140's at one time? What frequency did you run them at?

How does the fact they are 8 ohms effect a passive crossover? In a active/passive setup, I am using a passive crossover for the midrange/tweeter. If it normally crosses at 2.5k @ 18, what is the new Xover point?

3.5Max6spd
06-19-2007, 09:18 AM
The md142's work VERY well in the kicks near the midbass driver and its off axis dispersion is an asset as it pulls attention away from the midbass as far as he lower midrange-since the rising higher freq are directional...it just pulls together nicely..

My last active 3way set with 4" cones and tweets in kicks HP at 250hz 12db....didnt do anything better stagingwise concerning the vocal range than my Dyn passive setup using the same speaker arrangement -yet here the mid picks up at 900hz. Same goes for when I used the Usher 9845 and crossed at 700hz. If the location suits thie setup (lower corner door mounted mjidbass and kickpanel midrange) you can achieve good results and the midrange acts as a sweet bridge from the midbass driver and the tweeter.

Many have actively used this midrange in the 500-700hz area with 4th order or higher slopes and got good results if needed.

frzninvt
06-19-2007, 11:31 AM
The Vifa D75M 3" soft dome midrange would fit that application. The flange is large but can be trimmed down.

///M5
06-20-2007, 05:20 PM
You really should just go active instead of bastardizing some passive.