PDA

View Full Version : crossover for midrange/tweeter

slim j
06-15-2007, 10:45 AM
Are there any 3way componet sets out there that bandpass the midrange and highpass the tweeter? I am looking to do a hybrid active setup.

It would be best if the midranged was bandpassed from maybe 600k-2,500. I plan on using DLS UR 2.5 (or the iridium 3" if I can find it used) [I will also entertain other dome suggestions that play well off axis]

I only have a four channel amp, so I figure 1 set of channels for midbass, another set of channels for midrange/tweeter, but I cannot find a passive crossover that works that way.

Any suggestions?

slim j
06-15-2007, 10:53 AM
The CDT models I checked cross way too low, around 250 hertz. I do not know of any dome that plays well that low.

I know of cones that go that low, but I don't think they play very well off-axis.

3.5Max6spd
06-15-2007, 01:39 PM
You can use ANY set of xovers and use a HP on the amp to bandpass the lower end of the midrange.

MiniVanMan
06-15-2007, 01:48 PM
You're not going to find much, if anything at all. The Iridium crossovers crossover at 400 hz and 5500 hz, and the UR 3-way is 450-5500 hz. Those are the only ones I know of though.

Most decent 3-way crossovers bandpass the midrange. There is one thing you need to be aware of as well, though. You really shouldn't run a crossover with one section not being used. In other words for a 2-way, you should never run just the mids and not the tweeters. You can blow caps and stuff.

Your best bet is to use a 2-way crossover, and use the amps internal crossover to high pass the midrange. Hopefully you have an amp capable of crossing over to 500 hz.