PDA

View Full Version : Port tuning?

Ceezer
06-14-2007, 05:16 PM
I've been using a sub & box combo that I picked up at a local car audio store a few years ago to get me by and have recently begun thinking about upgrading. So I've been reading up and just trying to educate myself on the matter and tonight I went out to try and calculate the box volume and tune of the ports. Just wondered if I figured this out right. I used a calculator here (http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31) (the vent length calculator at the bottom). I had the vent length so I swapped frequencies in and out until I got one to match.

Here's what I know. The box contains 2 10s. It's 30.5" wide, 13" tall, 9.5" deep at the top and 12" deep at the bottom (so I used an average depth of 10.75"). When I calculate those and divide by 1728 I get a volume of 2.47 cu.ft. which is probably close but not completely accurate because the measurements are from the outside and do not include the divider. The ports are 2.25" wide and about 4" deep.

By using that calculator I figured the tune to be about 39Hz. Does that sound about right? It didn't account for the size of the driver. Does that matter?

Ceezer
06-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Disregard, I think I got it.